PDA

View Full Version : Team 68 Teaser #1

JosephC
02-07-2012, 09:53 PM
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/417338_10150586106782402_174548072401_9009305_7704 29629_n.jpg

Hey look its a chassis! Or is it ;)

Garten Haeska
02-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Well... from the looks of it you will be doing a eight wheel drive along with an elevator of some sort also it looks like a lazy susan sitting in the top right hand corner of the picture assuming that you will have a turret of some kind on the top to be your manipulator? Am i close?

sorry not lazy susan.. its a very large sprocket.

JosephC
02-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Your on the right track. I'll give you that.

Garten Haeska
02-07-2012, 10:02 PM
Ha.. i wanted to do something like this where you just have a single drive wheel but my team members didn't like that idea...

Andrew Schreiber
02-07-2012, 10:08 PM
Where are the mecanums? Andrew promised me mecanums!

Glad to see T3 is making progress. Hope to see you guys at Championship this year as I won't be making any Michigan events.

JosephC
02-07-2012, 10:09 PM
Who said we don't have mechanums?

CalTran
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
^Does that imply 8 wheel meccanum drive?

JosephC
02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
There's a first time for everything isn't there?

Andrew Lawrence
02-07-2012, 10:21 PM
4 mecanums, and 4 smaller wheels to go over the bump with. It'll either be with the mecanums on the inside and smaller wheels on the outside, or it will go small wheel, mecanum wheel, small wheel, mecanum wheel, on both sides.

EricH
02-07-2012, 10:25 PM
There's a first time for everything isn't there?
In this case, it would be second time. I believe it was 360 that had 8 mecanum wheels in 2010, mounted on rockers for easy bump traversal.

But in this case, I'd actually think it's NOT an 8WD. 4WD wide configuration is my guess; mecanums likely due to the width of the slots for them.

Oh, and is it just me, or is that large vertical assembly not in its final position yet?

CalTran
02-07-2012, 10:35 PM
I'd actually think it's NOT an 8WD. 4WD wide configuration is my guess; mecanums likely due to the width of the slots for them.

Now that I take a super close look, I think that EricH is right (Not a surprise there)
Looks like those 8 bolts aren't axle bolts at all...

JosephC
02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
In this case, it would be second time. I believe it was 360 that had 8 mecanum wheels in 2010, mounted on rockers for easy bump traversal.

But in this case, I'd actually think it's NOT an 8WD. 4WD wide configuration is my guess; mecanums likely due to the width of the slots for them.

Oh, and is it just me, or is that large vertical assembly not in its final position yet?

Spoilers :D

Peyton Yeung
02-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Does this mean Truck Town will finally lose a pushing match? :yikes:

Andrew Schreiber
02-08-2012, 07:06 AM
Does this mean Truck Town will finally lose a pushing match? :yikes:

They had mecanums last year.

I figured it out, it's a crab mecanum with switching traction and mecanums.

ratdude747
02-08-2012, 07:39 AM
They had mecanums last year.

I figured it out, it's a crab mecanum with switching traction and mecanums.

AKA Octanum/Jump drive. been done a few times already...

Determan
02-08-2012, 07:49 AM
I cant imagine that you would want to go over the beam with mecanum wheels. I can imagine broken wheels.:(

Fireball9199
02-08-2012, 08:47 AM
Heck, That chassis is not even welded together, who knows what it could end up as.

Andrew Lawrence
02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Heck, That chassis is not even welded together, who knows what it could end up as.

Now I get it. T3 is building a Transformer robot!

Andrew Schreiber
02-08-2012, 10:59 AM
AKA Octanum/Jump drive. been done a few times already...

Minus the crab part. (Don't try it, crabbing with mecanums is kinda stupid. I'm just messing with T3)

BrendanB
02-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Minus the crab part. (Don't try it, crabbing with mecanums is kinda stupid. I'm just messing with T3)

I think craboctanum would be a cool off season project in a slightly overkill way!

I'm calling shenanigans considering that frame isn't fully welded and that this is not the drivebase! Even though most likely I'm wrong. Maybe the drivebase and half the upper assembly in the wrong configuration?

Fireball9199
02-08-2012, 09:24 PM
I don't know, Determan is pretty crazy...

Determan
02-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Considering that some have noticed that the frame is not welded, and that the upper vertical frame does not seem to fit right. I have decided to revel the true intentions of this years robot. This year we dreamed big, we wanted to create a drive train that was different from the rest. The design team looked for inspiration and found a interesting kinetic sculptor named Theo Jansen he has built many works that are a mix of art and engineering, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OR8-775Rv4&feature=related).

Imagine that the robot is actually upside down, and that the bolts you see are actually linkages for the cam driven legs, these legs work together to move the robot about. Due to the ingenious cam driven leg system and their path of travel the robot stays level regardless of leg orientation.

Let me just tell you this thing is creepy how it moves at such a fast pace on its many legs, like a giant evil millipede. But most of all I cant wait for a pushing mach :cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNTNjtjInQ&feature=related

Determan
02-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Considering that some have noticed that the frame is not welded, and that the upper vertical frame does not seem to fit right. I have decided to revel the true intentions of this years robot. This year we dreamed big, we wanted to create a drive train that was different from the rest. The design team looked for inspiration and found a interesting kinetic sculptor named Theo Jansen he has built many works that are a mix of art and engineering, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OR8-775Rv4&feature=related).

Imagine that the robot is actually upside down, and that the bolts you see are actually linkages for the cam driven legs, these legs work together to move the robot about. Due to the ingenious cam driven leg system and their path of travel the robot stays level regardless of leg orientation.

Let me just tell you this thing is creepy how it moves at such a fast pace on its many legs, like a giant evil millipede. But most of all I cant wait for a pushing mach :cool: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlNTNjtjInQ&feature=related)

Fireball9199
02-09-2012, 10:04 PM
I get a weird feeling watching our bot move, like it shouldn't be moving that fast.

CalTran
02-09-2012, 10:13 PM
And now, I really wish I could go buy a ticket and fly out to your team...

Peyton Yeung
02-09-2012, 10:46 PM
Really waiting for a video. Will this be the first FIRST robot that walks?

Andrew Lawrence
02-09-2012, 10:48 PM

If it does, than it's going to be maneuverable, somewhat fast, and will easily traverse the bump.

I wanna see this thing. NOW.

Determan
02-09-2012, 10:51 PM
I am going to post some renders but above that final pictures are going to have to wait... and their have been shuffle bots before if you count that as walking?

Grim Tuesday
02-09-2012, 10:52 PM

Team 71 2002. (http://www.thebluealliance.com/match/2002cmp_f1m1)

Fireball9199
02-10-2012, 06:12 PM

I only half consider that walking.

372 lives on
02-10-2012, 07:05 PM

i see wheels and a large traction devise... not walking.

also is your robot going to be wind powered like the sculptures :P?

EricH
02-10-2012, 08:54 PM
i see wheels and a large traction devise... not walking.
71 only used the wheels for 15 seconds of the match, if that. The "large traction devise [sic]" was a pair of file cards, which "walked" the robot farther down the field for lots of points.

That's walking. At least half-walking.

372 lives on
02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
that video was low quality but i found a better picture and I do believe that robot was crawling not walking.

crawling-to move in a prone position with the body resting on or close to the ground, as a worm or caterpillar.

Ekcrbe
02-10-2012, 10:10 PM
Where are the mecanums? Andrew promised me mecanums!

Glad to see T3 is making progress. Hope to see you guys at Championship this year as I won't be making any Michigan events.

You have to read between the lines...
I didn't hear any promises.

Determan
02-12-2012, 05:28 PM
As I promised...http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h426/DetermanOne/R1.jpg
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h426/DetermanOne/R2.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd8Afx8iOYw
So what do you think?

CalTran
02-12-2012, 05:37 PM
Funnily enough, after seeing the animatronic rhino video, I imagined it to be a bit...taller.

BJC
02-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Looks awesome!

What advantage do you think a "walking" linkage has over wheels? Obviously, you went through quite a lot of trouble to design and implement this.

Also, how fast is it?

Regards, Bryan

smistthegreat
02-12-2012, 06:05 PM
Right now, all I can say is wow. I'm thoroughly impressed.

How much does the completed frame weigh? Also, what will be going on the feet? I'd imagine they'll end up with some sort of tread, but this is a design I've never seen before so forgive me for asking questions that may seem obvious.

Looks great, can't wait to see it in action.

Determan
02-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Looks awesome!

What advantage do you think a "walking" linkage has over wheels? Obviously, you went through quite a lot of trouble to design and implement this.

Also, how fast is it?

Regards, Bryan
The main goal of this drive train is to get people to think outside the box. I think that it will preform at the same level as the average 6 wheel tank. It is quite innovative for a walking robot.

CalTran
02-12-2012, 06:40 PM
The main goal of this drive train is to get people to think outside the box.

That in itself is the perfect reason to do this. That is thinking why not rather than why. And this is why I love FIRST in Michigan and dearly wish I could attend districts there.

Drivencrazy
02-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Wow, this is really cool. Have you guys manufactured something like this in the off season? I think this would be a lot to do during the build season. Also, is vibration an issue? I would think that there is some potential for a lot of it with something like this. But like I said It looks awesome. Can't wait to see the final design.

Fireball9199
02-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Wow, this is really cool. Have you guys manufactured something like this in the off season? I think this would be a lot to do during the build season. Also, is vibration an issue? I would think that there is some potential for a lot of it with something like this. But like I said It looks awesome. Can't wait to see the final design.

I think you might be underestimating T3.

Drivencrazy
02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
I think you might be underestimating T3.

I don't want it to seem like I am underestimating you guys. Just thought it might happen. I'm sure T3 has thought of it all.

DampRobot
02-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Wow... I'm blown out of the water. This is quite innovative approach.

Most teams reject legs out of hand because they are "too complicated," but you seemed to have followed the concept through to a design that looks very feasible.

That said, the drive train is the part of the robot that needs to be 100% reliable. A robot with a non-functioning drive train is essentially a non-functioning robot. This explains why so many teams do something similar to a WCD; its easy to implement and almost always functions correctly. This leg drive train (can you even call it a drive train?) looks like it could be a failure point simply because of its complexity. However, this system could offer a number advantages in the game this year.

Determan
02-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Lets just say I am screaming at my monitor... I wish i could tell you all the details but... I cant.

372 lives on
02-12-2012, 11:41 PM
aww thats so cool and i really wanted to win the Creativity Award this year :(

i wont be able to sleep till i see you robot.

Andrew Lawrence
02-12-2012, 11:43 PM
How well does it turn/maneuver? Do you have a lot of decent control over it, or is movement very static? From what you have tested, is it comparable to other drivetrains?

s_forbes
02-13-2012, 03:01 AM
So what do you think?

Instant fan. I want to see this thing built!

ratdude747
02-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Well, I guess the adage about 68 never loosing a pushing match still holds true... :eek:

LedLover96
02-13-2012, 09:39 AM
After watching that video, I am stunned. That is possibly the coolest drive train that I have ever seen, and I spend a whole lot of time looking at other robots.t his is just...wow. Post a video of the final bot as soon as you can! Please! :D

aspiece
02-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Disclaimer: T3 is not building legs onto their robot this year. It is important for teams to come up with their own designs based on the strategy they have decided as a team. At no time has FIRST team 68 considered legs. I should mention that the doors to our shop are always open to teams who are interested in checking out what we are doing. Feel free to stop in but don't be surprised if we put you to work. Lol

Andrew Schreiber
02-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Feel free to stop in but don't be surprised if we put you to work. Lol

They WILL put you to work... There is no may.

Jared Russell
02-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Aww, I was really hoping we would see the first (truly) legged FRC robot this year!

Mike Soukup
02-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, I guess the adage about 68 never loosing a pushing match still holds true... :eek:
I can't believe people are still perpetuating this myth. It's been around since at least 2002, which ironically is the year that we dragged them and two goals across the field. Or maybe that doesn't count because it was a pulling match :rolleyes:

Determan
02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
No, this is not our design, It was a way to get others excited about FIRST and out of the box thinking. Out of the box thinking is what makes FIRST great, it drives creativity, and inspiration.

I believe that the idea came when people started talking about octanum, and articulating crab drive, hey why not a walking robot, so I spent 2hrs on CAD... and now we have a viral walking prototype...

Maby an off season design?

EricH
02-13-2012, 04:31 PM
I can't believe people are still perpetuating this myth. It's been around since at least 2002, which ironically is the year that we dragged them and two goals across the field. Or maybe that doesn't count because it was a pulling match :rolleyes:
Truck Town wanted to perpetuate the myth that the saying "Nobody pushes Truck Town" is false. Thus, you weren't pulling them--you only think you were. In fact, they were pushing you. :p

Austin2046
02-13-2012, 07:24 PM
We should have a year where everyone has to build a walking robot (or at least have no drive wheels)... they'd have some kind of simplistic KOP "legs" and basic walking setup... but they'd allow teams to design their own legs and walking system, within certain constraints. i think it'd be an interesting game dynamic, that would create alot of innovative and interesting designs and would require teams do some research and learn alot. the rest of the game could be fairly simple since the walking could provide more than enough challenges.

372 lives on
02-13-2012, 08:11 PM
so you waste our time for something your not even making??????????

rage quits.

MagiChau
02-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Aww, was hoping to see this at MSC. Good luck anyhow this season with whatever design you guys actually chose.

Cadmaster
02-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I can't believe people are still perpetuating this myth. It's been around since at least 2002, which ironically is the year that we dragged them and two goals across the field. Or maybe that doesn't count because it was a pulling match
I don't know... looks like truck is pulling you...

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h426/DetermanOne/d4153e0ea60e2215b7b3bd5f42199647_m.jpg

JosephC
02-13-2012, 09:57 PM
so you waste our time for something your not even making??????????

rage quits.

Your time? The amount of time it took for you to read this thread is probably equal to the amount of time you spent writing this reply! However you are entitled to rage quit if needed :D

I don't know... looks like truck is pulling you...

http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h426/DetermanOne/d4153e0ea60e2215b7b3bd5f42199647_m.jpg
No you see, we're pushing them so hard that they're forced to do a wheelie.

DISCLAIMER: This was all Determan's idea, I had no part in the orchestrating of said leg designs, although this does make an interesting off-season project...

Ekcrbe
02-14-2012, 09:26 AM
Disclaimer: T3 is not building legs onto their robot this year. It is important for teams to come up with their own designs based on the strategy they have decided as a team. At no time has FIRST team 68 considered legs. I should mention that the doors to our shop are always open to teams who are interested in checking out what we are doing. Feel free to stop in but don't be surprised if we put you to work. Lol

While it is true that we never considered a legged robot this year, we did at some point throw around the idea of other modes of transportation, including the opposite of legs: a hovercraft. It was briefly brought up the day of kickoff as a joke, but it almost seemed viable on January 11, after we were embroiled in a three-day debate over wide/long-bot configuration. (You can ask Determan about his real crazy idea [which involved two drivetrains]) I felt like a hovercraft might have actually solved our problems.