PDA

View Full Version : No COM error

ballsohad777
02-16-2012, 02:18 PM
It seems like I wired everything correctly. I tested out each individual wire from every phone wire and they all work. I also have 2 resistors- one on the last jaguar in the can series and one on the wire connecting the db9 to rj12 cable (does it matter which side it is on?). I try to run the program, but once it is opened up, the program says "No COM port.." and doesn't allow me to continue. What's wrong?

Joe Ross
02-16-2012, 04:13 PM
Assuming that "the program" is BDC-COMM, it's saying it can't find a serial port on your computer. It has nothing to do with your wiring.

Do you have a serial port built into your computer? Are you using a usb-serial converter? Does the windows device manager recognize your serial port?

Efiske
02-17-2012, 02:33 PM
The Classmate laptop doesn't have a Serial port (I learned the hard way that I was mixing up Ethernet ports and Serial ports :P) so you'll have to use a computer that does. Be sure to use the latest version of BDC-COMM, v101, over here: www.ti.com/jaguar on the right hand sidebar of the page.

ballsohad777
02-17-2012, 06:46 PM
I got the program to not say no com ports, but now there is a new problem. It says that it can't locate the specified com port. I think it may be a serial port problem like you guys said so I'm trying to find one, but I don't know which one to download on the internet. any suggestions?

Alan Anderson
02-17-2012, 11:41 PM
You can't "download" a serial port. It's a hardware connection. If your computer doesn't have one built in, you'll have to physically install one. A desktop system might be able to accept a plug-in card, but one typically uses a USB-to-serial adapter cable.

Such an adapter was available through FIRST Choice this year.