PDA

View Full Version : "Common Mistake" T-shirt

Mr. Van
03-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Back in 2008, I recall seeing a team with mentor T-shrits that had something like this on the back:

"No, I'm not a Superhero...

I'm a FIRST Mentor.

Common Mistake."

I think the shirts actually had more to them - something about the characteristics of superheros and mentors - I'm not sure.

Who's shirts were these? I thought they were fantastic!

- Mr. Van
Coach, Robodox

Carolyn_Grace
03-28-2012, 12:13 PM
May I please be the first one to say: I.Want.One. :)

That is all.

~S.S.~

Mr. Van
03-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I.Want.One. :)

Of course, we are considering making something like this, but we want to make sure we give credit / get approval from whomever came up with it first.

- Mr. Van

treffk
03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
Totally awesome quote! I would love to have a shirt like this. Hope we can find out who made them.

Pun-isher
03-28-2012, 02:19 PM
We did a similar thing with our shirts this year, giving a darker shade green and labels for all of our Team Leaders and Mentors. Wish we thought of this before!

ZipTie3182
03-28-2012, 02:38 PM
I might make these for our mentors....that's awesome! You could make it like those t shirts that look like a tux but instead make it look like a cape with a tie in the front and the cape in the back, but flat on the shirt. I love it!

Jon Stratis
03-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I would get a shirt like that!

Our team has pick shirts with blue lettering for the students, and blue shirts with pink lettering for the mentors. It works out pretty well, since all the students are female, and most of the mentors (4/6) are male!

sanddrag
03-29-2012, 01:06 AM
I need that. Sometimes I feel like a superhero but I tell my students I really am not, and they need to step it up, because I can't always save the day.

DCA Fan
03-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Haha oh man, please make this. I absolutely need one.

tsaksa
03-29-2012, 08:38 AM
Haha oh man, please make this. I absolutely need one.

If someone has a design (or two) drawn up, have you considered submitting it to a t-shirt voting site like Threadless. With some promotion on CD the design should be able to get enough votes that it actually gets produced. That way anyone who is interested can order one online without any team needing to front a potentially large order and manage the distribution themselves.

Note: I have never used Threadless and have no connection to the company, but just wanted to offer a possible expedient option.

Andrew Lawrence
03-29-2012, 08:40 AM
I am SO making these for our mentors! :D

neshera
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
What about a cape instead of a T-Shirt ?
(And yes, I am familiar with the movie, "The Incredibles".)

Barry Bonzack
03-29-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm in for one if the price is between $10-12. I like the idea of a design poll, and having a team like 599 produce these to sell as a small fundraiser. I suggest only 1 color, but certainly no more than 2 to keep costs down.

ZipTie3182
04-07-2012, 01:14 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/530041_366349710074889_100000995899628_1014589_209 9432658_n.jpg

So here's an interpretation of the shirt idea. This is still pretty rough and I apologize for the low quality of the image, it hurts my eyes to look at it. The two versions are one and two colors. The t shirt/ink color could be changed. I know the "I'm not a" text looks really thin hard to read in this image but I would beef it up a bit for the real thing. I like the feel of the font and the contrast with the other typeface. I hope it doesn't come across as too girly....

I'm thinking of making these for my mentors regardless, but if people really like them and no one else already called dibs I would consider making these and selling them as a team fundraiser. We could really use the money.

Thoughts? :)

-Anna

rsisk
04-07-2012, 08:51 AM
That's actually kind of cool. I like the red/black version.

Debbie
04-07-2012, 09:18 AM
I'm thinking of making these for my mentors regardless, but if people really like them and no one else already called dibs I would consider making these and selling them as a team fundraiser. We could really use the money.

-Anna

I would LOVE to orders those for our mentors, depending on cost! I like the top one best, but they are both really neat!

Bill_B
04-07-2012, 12:10 PM
I think the front to back nature of the message. Reading only the back could be misleading. I'd put the common mistake on the front and have the back read "I get it all the time."

Libby K
04-07-2012, 04:31 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/530041_366349710074889_100000995899628_1014589_209 9432658_n.jpg

So here's an interpretation of the shirt idea. This is still pretty rough and I apologize for the low quality of the image, it hurts my eyes to look at it. The two versions are one and two colors. The t shirt/ink color could be changed. I know the "I'm not a" text looks really thin hard to read in this image but I would beef it up a bit for the real thing. I like the feel of the font and the contrast with the other typeface. I hope it doesn't come across as too girly....

-Anna

I like this idea (the white text pops a little more to me) and I'd totally get one - but remember to follow the FIRST Branding Standards if you plan on using the logo.

http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/marketing-tools/brand

-Your Friendly Neighborhood FIRST Marketing Intern.
:)

Edit: This would include having FIRST in the right font, and with the (R) - so please check carefully.

BrendanB
04-07-2012, 04:32 PM
I want one!

ZipTie3182
04-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Libby, I did this really late and didn't have a chance to get the proper font. I will be changing that ASAP. No worries :)

I think the front to back nature of the message. Reading only the back could be misleading. I'd put the common mistake on the front and have the back read "I get it all the time."
Bill, that's a really good point. I'll have to figure out how to fix that. I don't want to have too much text on the front. Does anyone have any ideas for that?

I was hoping to produce these in house to maximize profits and keep the cost low for teams, but I'm worried about the actual production. Online purchasing shouldn't be a problem but more making the shirts on demand. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I've been making t shirts for a long time but it's great to have one that so many people can relate with!

-Anna

ZipTie3182
06-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Hello everyone,
So I did end up making the tshirts with the design I posted before. I handmade the screens and printed them all at my school but it was A LOT more work than I expected. They can be seen here worn by our mentors at our team party: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180280_410085982367928_1837954640_n.jpg and the back: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=410086035701256&set=oa.10150895642452732&type=1&theater

My question to all of you is: Who would actually be willing to buy these shirts for themselves/for their team's mentors?
I printed 3 extras (without the cape) that I am willing to sell. I will most likley post them on ebay since I only have a few and a lot of people seemed interested before. I have one women's small, one adult medium, and one adult large. I will post a link for these once I get them on ebay if anyone is interested.

I am considering contacting a print shop and getting some printed professionally if people are interested because we could really use a fundraiser like this right now, and they really are a nice gift for any FIRST mentor! My guess is they would probably be around $15-$20 depending on how much they cost to get printed and how many I think is reasonable to sell once I get responses. Let me know if you would be interested!

Thanks!
Anna

Gregor
06-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Hello everyone,
So I did end up making the tshirts with the design I posted before. I handmade the screens and printed them all at my school but it was A LOT more work than I expected. They can be seen here worn by our mentors at our team party: https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180280_410085982367928_1837954640_n.jpg and the back: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=410086035701256&set=oa.10150895642452732&type=1&theater

My question to all of you is: Who would actually be willing to buy these shirts for themselves/for their team's mentors? I am considering contacting a print shop and getting some printed professionally if people are interested because we could really use a fundraiser like this right now, and they really are a nice gift for any FIRST mentor! My guess is they would probably be around $15-$20 depending on how much they cost to get printed and how many I think is reasonable to sell once I get responses. Let me know if you would be interested!

Thanks!
Anna

I would love to get our mentors one.

ZipTie3182
06-14-2012, 10:47 PM
I would love to get our mentors one.

Oh, everyone please post your estimated desired quantities also. Thanks!

Jon Stratis
06-14-2012, 10:51 PM
We're going to have 6-8 mentors this coming season, if you can get your fundraiser organized, I'll get them for everyone (including myself, of course) as a nice Christmas/kickoff present!

JonathanZur1836
06-15-2012, 12:23 AM
I have definitely seen some super-human feats from more than a few FIRST mentors, this is awesome :D

mrs. p
06-15-2012, 07:02 AM
Pink team is interested - have you confirmed prices

Libby K
06-15-2012, 02:54 PM
I am considering contacting a print shop and getting some printed professionally if people are interested because we could really use a fundraiser like this right now, and they really are a nice gift for any FIRST mentor! My guess is they would probably be around $15-$20 depending on how much they cost to get printed and how many I think is reasonable to sell once I get responses. Let me know if you would be interested!

Thanks!
Anna

I'd be in for one, and I am putting this forward to the Clarkson FIRST Robotics living learning community (40 college FIRST mentors that live together and work together). I'm sure a lot of them would want one.

If I may suggest RushOrderTees.com as a printer? They're not as widely known as CustomInk and the like, but I've used them for a long time, and referred several teams to them, including 3 of my own. They're FANTASTIC. Tell Mike I sent you. :)

Mr. 1033
06-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Back in 2007 we made shirts with a similar quote. We saw it from a team at worlds the year before I believe.

I was a first year mentor at that time and it was the coolest thing to get one from the kids.

Definitely a cost effective way to thank sponsors and mentors for their hard work.

tr6scott
06-15-2012, 04:28 PM
I'd have to ask the funding, but I would buy a couple myself, and probably 8 if the team could fund.

BrendanB
06-15-2012, 04:34 PM
I would love to get one. If it is too much work why not simplify the design by eliminating the cape graphics and just stick to the text?

ZipTie3182
06-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm really excited about these shirts because my mentors loved them and I want every team to be able to show their mentors their appreciation.

Libby, I'll look into Rushordertees. I just need to make sure if it's an online t shirt shop that they can print the ties for the capes all the way up to the top because most online editors don't go far enough up. I want to make sure the design comes out the way it is on the preview I posted. I'll see if I can call since it's a lot easier to explain on the phone.

Also, thank you for alerting other mentors about this, the FIRST group you're apart of at your school sound incredible! Everyone share this with their teams to see if they're interested....or keep it as a surprise from the mentors. Ours LOVED the shirts :)

I'm currently looking into a few routes to get them printed and will come back once I find the most economical solution. I'll be away in Russia from June 20-August 2 on study abroad so they may not be available to order until then when I get back.

Thanks Everyone,
Anna

treffk
06-18-2012, 09:19 PM
I know I at least want one but there is the possibility that maybe 3 or 4 other mentors on our team would want one too. Let me know confirmed prices.

Bob Steele
06-19-2012, 10:51 AM
I would love to get these for our mentors. Would need maybe 15 - 20. Please keep me in the loop. Great design.

Jimmy Nichols
06-19-2012, 02:30 PM
I would be interested.

ZipTie3182
06-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Hi everyone,
I really appreciate the enthusiasm! I just wanted to let everyone know that I will be away until August on a study abroad trip in Russia so I will follow up with details after I get back. Unfortunatley I didn't have the time to finish coordinating before I leave. I just didn't want you guys to think I dropped the project!

Thanks,
Anna

Bill_B
01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Bump for interest. Presuming you're busy these days, right Anna? Just curious about a group order if a design has been decided upon.

Chinmay
01-17-2013, 12:43 PM
http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2315.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Here you go!

Wayne Doenges
01-17-2013, 01:21 PM
I just ordered mine :D

Debbie
01-17-2013, 01:35 PM
http://www.andymark.com/product-p/am-2315.htm?1=1&CartID=0

Here you go!

Is there any way to get sizes larger than XL? We need XXL and XXXL if possible. :)