PDA

View Full Version : Changes to FIRST

E. The Kidd
11-18-2001, 03:12 PM
Lately, I have been reading some of the posts left by people and I have started to wonder: What changes if any would you make to FIRST in this and the coming years?

EddieMcD
11-18-2001, 09:44 PM
Get rid of the qualifying system. 'Nuff said

Elgin Clock
11-18-2001, 10:49 PM
Let teams add input to the game for the next year and ,maybe hold a contest to design the new game. Ooh the fun that will be.

My idea was this,

"FIRST is growing so shouldn't we help it

Since FIRST has been around since "89" and alot of people have come and gone on various teams isn't it time that FIRST allowed thier "community" to give a little back?

What I mean is holding a after season competition for teams to make the next years game. If FIRST sent out a call to all teams to come up with the new game then it could also tie into who is eligible that year.

Say team X comes up with a new game idea that would work and has not been done before and then Team Z comes up with a similar idea, Both team's would still not know what the final game would be but since they were the two teams that inputted ideas into the completed game they would be automatically eligable in that years game and also maybe be given a special prize or recognition at the end of Nationals.

I don't know how it would all work in the end, ie: if there is enough time to get input from all teams in time to come up with a new game within a year, or what kind of recognition or prize the team's that inputed ideas would get, but hopefully there will be a chance in the future when FIRST's comunity of teams would have a more active part in game design - not total design but a nudge in the direction that the community would like to see!"

E. The Kidd
11-23-2001, 01:37 AM
Elgin while I agree that teams should have some input (maybe field size or maybe the size of the balls) but if they let teams have as much input as your suggesting then it would create an unfair advantage

if team x comes up with a game for 2002 then they must have an idea on how to design their bot to manipulate team y to their advantage

Jessica Boucher
11-23-2001, 07:23 PM
Well, isn't there the story running round about how FIRST asks a team each year to sit the next season out to help them design next years game?

Clark Gilbert
11-23-2001, 07:27 PM
Where would the fun be in sitting out just to help design the field....i dont think it would make a lot of kids happy.....hopefully they dont make this a thing that you have to do if they ask u...

:)

Joe Ross
11-26-2001, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by Jessica Boucher
Well, isn't there the story running round about how FIRST asks a team each year to sit the next season out to help them design next years game?

Does this mean we can blame the Bomb Squad for this last game?

Emily Jenkins
12-02-2001, 07:44 PM
Speaking of the bomb squad...does anyone know if they'll be participating this year?

Joe Ross
12-02-2001, 08:12 PM
The Bomb Squad are registered for Houston, St. Louis, and Nationals, and have a recently updated website (http://mtncom.com/mhfirst/). I would say that it is safe to assume that they are back.