PDA

View Full Version : recycled robots

archiver
06-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Posted by Splash at 1/7/2001 1:44 PM EST

Other on team #53, Team Inferno, from college and NASA GSFC.

In the recent past, consecutive years' challenges have not used the same ball or scoring object. This year there will be the same black balls from last year. Considering that the goal is only one foot higher than last year, does anyone else think that we will see a lot of robots similar to last year?

Not necessarily the teams that could pick the balls off the ground, but the teams that took the balls from the human player and then dumped them in the basket.

archiver
Posted by Lora Knepper at 1/7/2001 2:17 PM EST

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / Boston College High School and Seeking Sponsorship.

In Reply to: recycled robots
Posted by Splash on 1/7/2001 1:44 PM EST:

: does anyone else think that we will see a lot of robots similar to last year?

I think personally, that a few of the great machines from 1998 are going to see a bit of revival... especially the gripper-style bots .... like CD from 1998. The scoring tube is pretty much the same as the doubler tower from 98...only this one moves.

~ Lora

archiver
Posted by bill whitley at 1/7/2001 2:18 PM EST

Student on team #70, Auto City Bandits, from Powers Catholic High School and Kettering University.

In Reply to: if anything, I see 1998 recycled with some mods
Posted by Lora Knepper on 1/7/2001 2:17 PM EST:

I also expect to see a lot of things from 1998 coming back to this competition. Unfortunatly, 1999 was my first year and '98 was a disappointing rookie year for my team. I've looked a little for an archive of picture of '98 bots. Does anybody know of one? I would appreciate it.

Bill

archiver
Posted by Lora Knepper at 1/7/2001 2:25 PM EST

Other on team #419, Rambots, from UMass Boston / Boston College High School and Seeking Sponsorship.

In Reply to: Re: if anything, I see 1998 recycled with some mods
Posted by bill whitley on 1/7/2001 2:18 PM EST:

Bill ~

I don't really know of one online, but I do have some pics from '98 I will post on FIRST-a-holics.com as soon as I scan them in. Infact, anyone with pictures from 1998, please email me (lknepper@FIRST-a-holics.com), I'd like to start a gallery over at FAH for them as a historical archive. Thanks!

~ Lora (webmaster of www.FIRST-a-holics.com)
PS -- look in the next few days for a completely **NEW** FIRST-a-holics page!

archiver
Posted by Patrick Dingle at 1/7/2001 4:10 PM EST

Other on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

In Reply to: recycled robots
Posted by Splash on 1/7/2001 1:44 PM EST:

I think this year's game allows teams to reuse technology from all of the last three. The same ball-lifting technology from 2000 can be used. From 1999, we will see a lot of pole clamping on goals and then moving it around (similar to puck). I wasn't aware of FIRST in 1998, but it sounds like there were similarities that year as well. Was that the year the big balls were used as well (with the football field goal type things?)

Patrick

: In the recent past, consecutive years' challenges have not used the same ball or scoring object. This year there will be the same black balls from last year. Considering that the goal is only one foot higher than last year, does anyone else think that we will see a lot of robots similar to last year?

: Not necessarily the teams that could pick the balls off the ground, but the teams that took the balls from the human player and then dumped them in the basket.

archiver
Posted by Robby at 1/7/2001 4:40 PM EST

Other on team #108, The SigmaC@Ts, from AIFL and Motorola.

In Reply to: Re: recycled robots
Posted by Patrick Dingle on 1/7/2001 4:10 PM EST:

------------SNIP--------------
>Was that the year the big balls were used as well
>(with the football field goal type things?)
------------SNIP--------------

Bah! You rookie youngins! No sense of FIRST history! The one you refer to was Ramp N Roll in 95 if my memory serves me right. 98 we had some confangled ladder dohickeys on a tall goal like the ones on this years field.

Dont mean to pick on you, Patrick. Just messin around B^P. It's my horrible attempt at humor. Like the B up arrow thingy and P. Tilt your head to the left. If you are interested in more of my humor attmepts, go read my banana and bacon posts on this board. Good to see you joining FIRST. Im looking forward to your Robot.
Look forward to me riding a unicycle while chugging tang straight up at nationals...

-Robby O,

archiver
Posted by Patrick Dingle at 1/8/2001 11:21 AM EST

Other on team #639, Red B^2, from Ithaca High School and Cornell University.

In Reply to: Re: recycled robots - Make sure they are separated by type..
Posted by Robby on 1/7/2001 4:40 PM EST:

Ah my mistake. Still seems to me that this competition has similarities to many previous years. Anyways, this is not my first year (tis my 3rd) but it is my team's first year.

happy brainstorming.
Patrick

: ------------SNIP--------------
: >Was that the year the big balls were used as well
: >(with the football field goal type things?)
: ------------SNIP--------------

: Bah! You rookie youngins! No sense of FIRST history! The one you refer to was Ramp N Roll in 95 if my memory serves me right. 98 we had some confangled ladder dohickeys on a tall goal like the ones on this years field.

: Dont mean to pick on you, Patrick. Just messin around B^P. It's my horrible attempt at humor. Like the B up arrow thingy and P. Tilt your head to the left. If you are interested in more of my humor attmepts, go read my banana and bacon posts on this board. Good to see you joining FIRST. Im looking forward to your Robot.
: Look forward to me riding a unicycle while chugging tang straight up at nationals...

: -Robby O,