PDA

View Full Version : size of see saw?

archiver
06-23-2002, 10:28 PM
Posted by nick237 at 1/7/2001 5:15 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

The sizes of 8' x 4' for the see saw ramp is on the drawing but the hight is not. there is 2" angle 6" apart but no sizes for the hight from the floor to the top flat surface of the ramp carpet when level.
can anyone help??? and where did you see the answer.
nick237

archiver
Posted by Matt Berube at 1/7/2001 5:48 PM EST

Engineer on team #49, Delphi Knights, from Buena Vista High School and Delphi Automotive.

In Reply to: size of see saw?
Posted by nick237 on 1/7/2001 5:15 PM EST:

: The sizes of 8' x 4' for the see saw ramp is on the drawing but the hight is not. there is 2" angle 6" apart but no sizes for the hight from the floor to the top flat surface of the ramp carpet when level.
: can anyone help??? and where did you see the answer.
: nick237

I figure it is a little more than 13 in.

(2 X 8, 3/4 plywood, angle iron, 4 in. of rail under)

What do the rest of you think/

I also hope we get some more details.

Matt T49

archiver
Posted by Ken Leung at 1/7/2001 6:27 PM EST

Student on team #192, Gunn Robotics Team, from Henry M. Gunn Senior High School.

In Reply to: Re: size of see saw?
Posted by Matt Berube on 1/7/2001 5:48 PM EST:

A good question... is FIRST going to post up the AutoCAD of the blueprint? All I see is a *.pdf format of the bule print. And I believe the CAD file is going to provide a lot of details they are supposed to tell about the field.

archiver
Posted by Ryan at 1/7/2001 9:26 PM EST

Student on team #30, Fury, from High Technology High School and CelWave.

In Reply to: size of see saw?
Posted by nick237 on 1/7/2001 5:15 PM EST:

: The sizes of 8' x 4' for the see saw ramp is on the drawing but the hight is not. there is 2" angle 6" apart but no sizes for the hight from the floor to the top flat surface of the ramp carpet when level.
: can anyone help??? and where did you see the answer.
: nick237

if you do some trigonemtery, i believe at the exact midpoint of the see-saw it will be approximately 11.9" aboe the ground. Try it, im probabbly wrong. Use 92" (8') as the hypotenuse, and 24" (2') as the vertical leg of the big triangle. Using trig you get the angle of the large triangle, and the horizontal leg. Divide 92" by 2 to get the midpoint, or the vertex of your smaller triangle (this is the point directly above the ground). Using the same angle, i got 11.9" as my vertical leg. I'm probablly wrong. Oh well another wasted year of highschool math. :(
-Rc

archiver
Posted by bill whitley at 1/7/2001 10:09 PM EST

Student on team #70, Auto City Bandits, from Powers Catholic High School and Kettering University.

Posted by Ryan on 1/7/2001 9:26 PM EST:

If the hypotenuse is 8', and the opposite side is 2', then the height at the midpoint is exaclty 1'. No trig necessary. You can just use similar trianges.

: : The sizes of 8' x 4' for the see saw ramp is on the drawing but the hight is not. there is 2" angle 6" apart but no sizes for the hight from the floor to the top flat surface of the ramp carpet when level.
: : can anyone help??? and where did you see the answer.
: : nick237

: if you do some trigonemtery, i believe at the exact midpoint of the see-saw it will be approximately 11.9" aboe the ground. Try it, im probabbly wrong. Use 92" (8') as the hypotenuse, and 24" (2') as the vertical leg of the big triangle. Using trig you get the angle of the large triangle, and the horizontal leg. Divide 92" by 2 to get the midpoint, or the vertex of your smaller triangle (this is the point directly above the ground). Using the same angle, i got 11.9" as my vertical leg. I'm probablly wrong. Oh well another wasted year of highschool math. :(
: -Rc

archiver
Posted by nick237 at 1/7/2001 11:36 PM EST

Engineer on team #237, sie h2o bots, from Watertown high school ct and sieman co.

Posted by bill whitley on 1/7/2001 10:09 PM EST:

The seesaw is not 8' long, at least its not by the lousy drawing.
If you all look again its 8' 5" long. You can Hypotenuse it to death but there are no angle`s on the drawing so theres no way to tell how far off the floor it is, It definately is more than an inch and less than three feet but theres no possitive # thats real, so untill FIRST sends a size no one knows???
nick237.

If the hypotenuse is 8', and the opposite side is 2', then the height at the midpoint is exaclty 1'. No trig necessary. You can just use similar trianges.

: : : The sizes of 8' x 4' for the see saw ramp is on the drawing but the hight is not. there is 2" angle 6" apart but no sizes for the hight from the floor to the top flat surface of the ramp carpet when level.
: : : can anyone help??? and where did you see the answer.
: : : nick237

: : if you do some trigonemtery, i believe at the exact midpoint of the see-saw it will be approximately 11.9" aboe the ground. Try it, im probabbly wrong. Use 92" (8') as the hypotenuse, and 24" (2') as the vertical leg of the big triangle. Using trig you get the angle of the large triangle, and the horizontal leg. Divide 92" by 2 to get the midpoint, or the vertex of your smaller triangle (this is the point directly above the ground). Using the same angle, i got 11.9" as my vertical leg. I'm probablly wrong. Oh well another wasted year of highschool math. :(
: : -Rc