PDA

View Full Version : A stick is to rock as a bat is to a....

archiver
06-23-2002, 10:34 PM
Posted by Robby at 1/8/2001 7:48 PM EST

Other on team #108, The SigmaC@Ts, from AIFL and Motorola.

I noticed the hearty laughs around the crowd at the kickoff at this slide in Woodie's presentation. Then I noticed the mean things said about the competition on this board and at the Kickoff. No one has yet to see a round. But apparently the complainers didn't get a close enough view of the faces of the "Robot Volunteers" at the Kickoff.

They were smiling, having a good time. That's what this is about, people. Getting together with all of your geeky friends, building a bot, and having a good time (and dont deny it people. We build robots. Nothing ungeeky about that B^). Dont tell me that robots falling over is not cool. Look at the past two years, they got cheers like crazy. Now we have to watch for falling goals and tipping ramps getting stuck as well.

Why not just cheer "GO! GO! GO!" ? Why do you have to specify a team number, or ally color? Why let egos ask for recognition? Shouldn't the mere fact of contribution be enough?

I'll leave off with Woodie's phrase:

Genetic Hangover

Are you sober or are you still walking a little funny, talking a little funny, and hitting rocks with sticks?

-Robby O

I know a lot has been said about this, but I wanted to toss in my 2c.

archiver
Posted by Jessica Boucher at 1/8/2001 8:43 PM EST

Student on team #237, Sie-H2O-Bots, from Watertown High School and Eastern Awning Systems & The Siemon Company.

In Reply to: A stick is to rock as a bat is to a....
Posted by Robby on 1/8/2001 7:48 PM EST:

Thats right! They should have shown more volunteers! ::grin:: Ok, thats not me wanting camera time, even though it was for the sole purpose of proving to people that I was there :) But seriously, I know we all were able to drop everything and have a blast, and this year can be the same. So, onward to Orlando!

-Jessica B, #237

>But apparently the complainers didn't get a close enough view of the faces of the "Robot Volunteers" at the Kickoff.

archiver
Posted by Steve Prairie at 1/8/2001 9:24 PM EST

Student on team #173, RAGE, from Rockville High School /East Hartford High School and UTRC.

In Reply to: Re: A stick is to rock as a bat is to a....
Posted by Jessica Boucher on 1/8/2001 8:43 PM EST:

:But seriously, I know we all were able to drop everything and have a blast, and this year can be the same. So, onward to Orlando!

Thats the spirit! I predict that, as always, by April we'll all be excited about the competiton.