PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone explain the FIRST lego legue

archiver
06-24-2002, 02:58 AM
Posted by Joel G at 03/28/2001 1:41 PM EST

Student on team #442, Knight Riders, from Lee High School and NASA/ BOEING/ MEVATEC.

This quetion is in response to the Agenda for Nat's where it says there will be a lego legue there. So what exactly is the FIRST Lego Lgue. From there site they build small bots made out legos. It sound kind fun can anyone gve me any detais on it. Iwould apreciate it

archiver
Posted by Matt Leese at 03/28/2001 2:43 PM EST

Other on team #73, Tigerbolt, from Edison Technical HS and Alstom & Fiber Technologies & RIT.

In Reply to: Can Anyone explain the FIRST lego legue
Posted by Joel G on 03/28/2001 1:41 PM EST:

FIRST Lego League is a middle school competition run by FIRST. They operate under some of the same principles as the FIRST Robotics Competition (limited time, different problem every year) but they use Lego's. I believe there are somewhere around 2000 teams and this is the second or third year of its existence (someone correct me if I'm wrong there). A lot of FLL's support came from existing FIRST teams spreading it to middle schools. It's a good way to get students into FIRST before they even make it to high school.

Matt who really would like to start some Rochester teams but hasn't gotten around to it yet

archiver
Posted by Kevin Sevcik at 03/28/2001 2:47 PM EST

Other on team #57, Leopards, from BT Washington and the High School for Engineering Professions and Exxon, Kellog Brown & Root, Powell Electrical.

From what I understand, FIRST Lego League is a lot like the main robotics comp, only on a much smaller and simpler scale. It's targetted at middle school age students. (When's Dean gonna get the elementary ones?)
The teams are given a game/challange, and must construct a fully autonomous robot from a Lego Mindstorms kit. Then they go to tournaments and compete. Apparently there's lots of small tournaments, and, since it's middle schoolers, teams don't really travel to far away ones. I don't think there's a national tournament. Anyways, you can hit the link on the USFIRST site to find out more.

Weird thing is, the competition is 8 weeks, starting in september. This is obviously something special Dean has planned. :^) I think he's gathered all the tournament winners and is busily getting them hooked on the big robots.....

archiver
Posted by Joel G at 03/28/2001 3:23 PM EST

Student on team #442, Knight Riders, from Lee High School and NASA/ BOEING/ MEVATEC.

In Reply to: Re: Can Anyone explain the FIRST lego legue
Posted by Kevin Sevcik on 03/28/2001 2:47 PM EST:

EOM=End of Message (Remember this next time, lol I use to do it to)

archiver
Posted by Becky Allen at 03/28/2001 3:29 PM EST

Other on team #356, The Enigma, from North Little Rock High School and Pulaski Academy and UALR/BEI/Controlled Automation/Hendrix College.

First Lego League (FLL) involves grades 3rd through 8th. Like Joel and Matt said, it is alot like FIRST. It runs for 8 weeks, starting in September ending in December with regional competitions.

Anyone can sponsor a FLL team, schools, companies, doctor's offices, boy scout groups. They use the Lego Mindstorm kits, which are awesome!

All teams should look into sponsoring a team or teams. It doesn't cost that much money. Plus it's great fun for the high school students to mentor the younger students.

I'm going to be checking out the FLL tournament in Florida. The kids get so excited. There is so much unbelievable energy directed toward science and technology. I can't wait till these younger kids grow up and join FIRST teams.

-Becky

archiver
Posted by Andrew Rudolph at 03/28/2001 9:26 PM EST

Student on team #168, Charger-Lightning Robotics, from North Miami Beach/Michael Krop Senior High School and NASA Kennedy Space Center/Cordis/HPE Automation.

: Weird thing is, the competition is 8 weeks, starting in september. This is obviously something special Dean has planned. :^) I think he's gathered all the tournament winners and is busily getting them hooked on the big robots.....

Well i know its gonna be a more international thing. Our team was supposed to go but we had some issues with hthe 4th and 5th graders parents on the dates.

archiver
Posted by Ryan Matheson at 03/28/2001 9:56 PM EST

Student on team #343, Metal-In-Motion, from Fred P. Hamilton Career Center.

As the student team leader of team 343, I would like to take a moment and explain this tournament. Students from around the states take somewhere around 6 to 10 weeks to build miniature robots that, like the First competition, are used to complete many tasks on a down scaled size field. 2 minutes are given to each team to complete these tasks and whoever has the most points wins. South Carolina held its first lego tournament back in November and it was a blast. The 7th and 8th graders at the tournament were introduced to programming using the RCX as well as learned the values of teamwork. I highly recommend that each middle school partake in this event.

archiver
Posted by Bradley Peay at 03/29/2001 12:51 PM EST

Student on team #343, Metal in motion, from hamilton career center and square D.

in response to the question on FIRST LEGO LEAGUE it is
a challenge much like our robotics project that changes
every year this year the name of the "game" was
volcanic panic. The robots are completley autonomous
meaning they have no human controllers they are
responsible for a machine that will perform the tasks
specified in the amount of time specified. this is a
great program because it introduces the middle
schoolers to robots and prepares them for the big
competition. If you have any questions you can visit