PDA

View Full Version : BOM parts question (Water Closet Flange)

Alan Ing
12-24-2001, 04:27 PM
I went down to our local Home Depot to check on the BOM parts availability. While I could find most of the items, I could not find the 4851-2-A NIBCO 4 x 3 Water closet flange. Our Home Depot only stocks the 5851-2-A which appears to be Black ABS and does not have a listing for the 4851. Does anyone know if the 4851 exists or if this is a typo on the BOM? I'm thinking that perhaps the 4851 might be the same flange in PVC.

Can someone please confirm this for me or give me a description if you found one?

Nate Smith
12-24-2001, 04:42 PM
I was able to find this part listed on the NIBCO site as a PVC equivalent to the one you found. For purposes of constructing whatever those parts are meant for, the 5xxx one should be fine.

Alan Ing
12-24-2001, 10:32 PM
Nate,

Thank you very much for the reply. Our team is in Hawaii and sometimes its difficult to find the same stuff that is readily available in the mainland. For instance, Last year the bridge was to be made of 2"x4"x8" pine wood. This stuff is impossible to get in Hawaii as it is prime top grade termite food. All that was available was Fir. We basically had to laminate some 1" pine shelving material to make the bridge. When we weighed the pine and fir, we found that their was a big difference which we figured would affect the bridges characteristics.

I guess were okay as long as we don't have to glue the ABS water closet flange to the 3" pvc pipe.

Thanks for your help!

Dima
12-25-2001, 09:46 PM
I am form the west coast. (closer to Hawaii) and i had the same problem but i think that ABS might even be better depending on the appication. I don't think that our Home Depots (i went to 3) have the PVC equivalent.

BTW how are you on the falanges? I cleared out 3 Home Depots here to get 32 o and the nipplets i got made bacause they din't have any!

Alan Ing
12-28-2001, 08:38 PM
Hi Dima,

Yup, same thing with the Flanges and Pipe Nipples. In Hawaii, Home Depot does not carry Black Iron in 1-1/4" so we had to purchase the galvanized stuff. Also, Home Depot did not have enough of either, so we had to look for the fittings at various hardware and plumbing stores.

The only gray PVC pipe I could find at Home Depot is in the electrical section. This pipe has a built in coupler on one end so I am not sure if we are supposed to buy this or not. Is there supposed to be a gray schedule 40 pvc pipe without a coupler? Perhaps I should buy the white stuff instead.

Alan

David Kelso
12-28-2001, 10:53 PM
The Manchester NH Home Depot only stocks 10 of those Flanges at once. If each team needs 32 and there are 4 local teams, the construction season could be lots of fun. The most interesting part is after we all buy our stuff, the Computers will sense that there is a new demand for certain stuff and everyone will end up overstocked!!!

Dima
12-29-2001, 03:23 AM
Wait on the PVC because it's PVC there is a @#$% load of it in any home depot and if worst comes to worst buy the normal PVC
I went to 3 home depots in Silicone Valey the are at LEAST 30 teams here in visinity of 50 miles form me and only 30 HOme Depots MAX there fore i think we'll have to 1) SHARE 2) Find another store

Tom Fairchild
12-29-2001, 04:55 PM
Why not buy the same product at a different store?

~Tom Fairchild~, who wonders why people are so hung up on Home Depot. Yes, all the parts are avaliable there, but I'm sure that other stores sell them too.