PDA

View Full Version : Which Show is better??

mtaman02
07-28-2002, 10:27 PM
Which show / program do you think is better?

David Kelly
07-28-2002, 11:11 PM
i think its a given... :cool:

Rob Colatutto
07-29-2002, 01:25 AM
FIRST is by far the best robotics competition ever, i don't see how someone won't agree with that

Adam Y.
07-31-2002, 10:53 AM
FIRST is by far the best robotics competition ever, i don't see how someone won't agree with that
Trust me there are alot of robotics competition other than first. Quite litterally as I have discovered you can probably over hundreds of hundreds of robot competition. You've got robot sumo, robot combat, robot firefighting, beam competitions, walking machine competitions, and so on and so on and so on. Some of these are better in my opinion because some of these actually are based of probable scenarios like the robot firefighting. There are so many of them. It's all a matter of preference.

Chris Nowak
07-31-2002, 07:44 PM
I'd have to agree with the post above that there are an incredible amount of robot programs out there and many of them are more advanced and specialized. On one hand, you could have competitions where a human controls the robot and your object is to build the most tough while some competitions the object is to program the best AI for the robot for it to play a game, focusing little on robot design. These are almost totally different so its really just a matter of preference. Of course, most everything is.

As far as the Major programs go, however, FIRST has my vote as most enjoyable and most involved.

Nick Seidl
01-06-2003, 11:28 AM
While FIRST is definiatly more exciting to watch, I don't know that the rest of the world would agree. Of the other choices, BattleBots is the best and the rest are just posers. Bill Nye should come host a FIRST robotics competition.

EddieMcD
01-08-2003, 06:27 PM
Well, I haven't watched Battlebots since they moved it to Saturdays. I do still try to watch Robot Wars because it's more "classic" than the other shows, and Mick Foley hosts it. I found Robotica on one of the 10+ discovery channels I get, but it sorta got dull. The only robot show for me is Techno Games, weekdays at 16:30 on Tech TV. Of course, if FIRST got it's own show, I'd be hooked. I guess NASA TV will have to do.

Reed B.
01-08-2003, 07:01 PM
Battlebots=rawk

DarkRedDragon
01-08-2003, 08:00 PM
i have to say junckyard wars is the best thing ever. Im serious, building something out of junk, its a big challenge. Maybe we should do something like that, at a cometition, where every team brings some awsome device that does something remakeble and is built out of junk, so no new stuff, unless you need to use ducktape, then thats ok, lol. You could always just bring ductape, thats remakeble just by itself.

Greg Perkins
01-09-2003, 11:09 AM
even though it doenst involve robotics, i love monster garage, i think that that is the best show

Bad

EddieMcD
01-09-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by DarkRedDragon
i have to say junckyard wars is the best thing ever. Im serious, building something out of junk, its a big challenge. Maybe we should do something like that, at a cometition, where every team brings some awsome device that does something remakeble and is built out of junk, so no new stuff, unless you need to use ducktape, then thats ok, lol. You could always just bring ductape, thats remakeble just by itself.

Ahh... never a problem that can't be solved without duct tape. That's my new quote.

Anyhow, if this thread wasn't about robotics, JYW would be at the top of my list too. And I haven't seen Monster Garage yet, but I hear it's pretty good.

OneAngryDaisy
01-09-2003, 07:46 PM
What about Junkyard Wars- those guys aren't really building robots, but it's still one darn awesome show..

mgreenley
01-09-2003, 08:00 PM
I agree.

Element945
01-22-2003, 11:29 AM
rock, paper and scissors
rock > scissors
paper > rock
scissors > paper

Battlebots, Robotica, First and Robot wars

Robotica > battlebots

Robotwars > battlebots

Battlebots > telletubbys

First > all

Matthew936
01-29-2003, 12:58 PM
First > all
Battlebots = junkyard wars
both above others
Robotica = Robot Wars = garbage

Pin Man
02-18-2003, 11:25 PM
Honestly I don't like any of those kind of shows but many people are joining FIRST because they think we are doing the same thing as robot wars.

Nick Mac
02-18-2003, 11:39 PM
I hate to say it but Pin Man is right. A lot of people don't look into our sport before joining, and then are shocked when they realize that we aren't supposed to be attacking other robots. Although, some of the robots should be considered lethal!"It's a terrible thing when you have to trust Lee..."

CNCBoy461
02-23-2003, 01:05 PM
A Few Of Our Advisor/ Mentors From Purdue Have Competed In A New Competition Call Robot Rivals. Its Basically A 3v3 College Junkyard Wars In A Lab Type Setting. It Will Be On DYI Sometime. More Info @ www.teamdavinci.com (http://www.teamdavinci.com) and Click On The Robot Rivals Link. Pics Of The Advisors Will Be Posted At A Later Date. Results Will Be Posted Later Too Because The Show Has Not Aired Yet.

Jonathan M.
02-23-2003, 04:43 PM
I have to say that >>> I <<< like FiRsT the best BUT I also think that Battle Bots and Junkyard wars is 'fun to watch.' Some of the students on our team (including me) are attempting to pla for being on BattleBots. And even the teenage version of JunkYard Wars (ABC saturday mornings) Even though its kinda dorky (Did I just say that?) It would still be fun to compete in.

w00t! :D

Kojib
03-13-2003, 10:26 PM
Hi, Garrett from team 16, the Baxter Bomb Squad

Ok, here's my rundown

FIRST is awesome because it's the only one i've done and it's educational

BattleBots is good because it's fun to watch and it's the "grandaddy" of prime time robotics

Robotica and robot wars aren't good because:
1) not original
2) Mick Foley hosts Robot Wars
3) Robotica is too similar to American Gladiators

Junkyard wars is also great, but it's not really robotics...so...
Junkyard wars is cool.

Monster Garage is really, really, cool...once again, not robotics but cool nonetheless

EddieMcD
03-15-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Kojib
Hi, Garrett from team 16, the Baxter Bomb Squad

Ok, here's my rundown

FIRST is awesome because it's the only one i've done and it's educational

BattleBots is good because it's fun to watch and it's the "grandaddy" of prime time robotics

Robotica and robot wars aren't good because:
1) not original
2) Mick Foley hosts Robot Wars
3) Robotica is too similar to American Gladiators

Junkyard wars is also great, but it's not really robotics...so...
Junkyard wars is cool.

Monster Garage is really, really, cool...once again, not robotics but cool nonetheless

1) Now to be fair, Robot Wars has been around much longer than Battlebots.

2) At last check, Battlebots was hosted by a comedian, a football player, and an overrated actress. Please tell me why Mick Foley is any less qualified.

3) Agreed (although I happened to like American Gladiators).

Again, I really don't care much for those 3 shows anymore (Although Techno Games is still high on my list), just my view on things.

Raven_Writer
09-27-2003, 02:34 PM
Boy, who didn't see this one coming:

Shows: Votes: Percentage
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Battle Bots (Comedy Channel): 20: 30.30%
Robotica (TLC Channel): 4: 6.06%
Robot Wars: 1: 1.52%
FIRST...: 41: 62.12%

I myself voted for FIRST, and I think Battle Bots is a pretty good show also. Robot Wars (or maybe it's Battle Bots) is also on TechTV, which I don't like to much [because I don't get TechTV at my house].

Jnadke
09-27-2003, 06:14 PM
I voted for Robotica. It's a pretty good show, and they go somewhat in-depth into the various robots that show up on the show.

IMO, FIRST would make for a pretty crappy television show. It's pretty basic robotics at its core. FIRST is heading in the right direction. The rules are starting to losen up (both in design and in the game), and they're adding to the action/complexity, but they still have some work to do.