PDA

View Full Version : Segway Fundraiser

MattK
08-19-2002, 10:22 PM
Tell me if this is a good idea, How about Dean allows each team to buy a segway (@ Normal Price, even if there is a waiting list) and then have the teams Auction it off (maybe on Amazon.com, Bezos!). I am thinking that the demand for the segway will be so high when it comes out that people will be put on a waiting list. If a team buys a segway for $3,000 and gets $8,000 (Supply and demand!) for the machine, thats a pretty good profit!

If you have any other cool ideas post them!

-Matt

mtaman02
08-19-2002, 10:27 PM
too be honest my opinion BAD cannot supply reason at current time

Jon K.
08-19-2002, 11:38 PM
matt there is now a fundraising forum so that is were this thread should have gone not the general forum. Anyways anything like that is highly unlikely to ever happen.

Ian W.
08-20-2002, 11:09 AM
well, if you can raise 3K, why would you waste it on a segway? most people think that at 3K, they'll never even buy a segway. sure, when the price drops (as i'm sure it will), more people will buy it. but guess what, most people, unless you go to some ivy leauge school, DON'T HAVE THAT MUCH MONEY TO WASTE ON A STUPID SEGWAY! seriously, think about what you're saying. if it's already expenisve at 3K, who the heck is going to buy one for 8K!?! if anything, one person will say "$1!" then "$2!" and after it reaches a few hundred, most will drop out, and you'll wind up loosing a lot of money that could have been much better spent. segway just isn't worth it to the general population right now.

Rob Ribaudo
08-20-2002, 12:01 PM
Segway does not actually seem like something alot of people would want to buy. (Maybe only some compainies to make some work alittle easier, but that's about it.) It looks fun to try out, but I do not think I would want one. I would have no use for it and probally not be able to use it much (and I do not have $3000 to spend), and neither would many other peaple probally. If I was going to get one, I would rather wait to get it for $3000 rather then get it now for $8000. It just does not seem like a good way to raise money for a team.

MattK
08-20-2002, 03:36 PM
So then why did people bid over $10,000 for 3 of them on Amazon.com (yes i know, that was way back. But still) There enough rich people out there who want one.

Ian W.
08-20-2002, 03:40 PM
if every team got one, there'd be over 600 segways. there are not 600 people who would want to buy a segway for super inflated prices. sure, you may live in a rich community, but remember, many of us are average middle class families, and we don't have 8K to fork up for a segway.

Madison
08-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by MattK
So then why did people bid over $10,000 for 3 of them on Amazon.com (yes i know, that was way back. But still) There enough rich people out there who want one.

There's novelty in owning the first of *anything*. It's significant, particularly if the Segway manages to take off. It holds its place in history.

To bid $10,000+ for one random Segway is silly and unrealistic.

If you could bid to own the very first Ford Model-T to roll off the assembly line, I bet you would.

How would you feel about ponying up $100,000 for a 1987 Ford Tempo?

Point taken? The allure just isn't the same.