PDA

View Full Version : Our regionals

Staisy K
09-15-2002, 05:57 PM
Team 88 is planning to go to Manchester and Rutgers - Hopefully FLorida as well! Hope to see some of you there!:)

Harrison
09-15-2002, 10:14 PM
If you're in Fl you'll see us for sure!

Greg Perkins
09-16-2002, 09:40 AM
151, hoo rah!

i am totally confuzzled byt the way our team is handling the events, we have two possibilities:

1. Manchester, UTC, and Nationals.
or
2. Manchester, UTC, SO-CAL, and Canada

I am wondering???

badjokeguy

Harrison
09-16-2002, 12:19 PM
Well you've got to do the BEST regional, which is of course the Canadian Regional. :D

Seriously tho...If you can do the Nats, do the nats.

Do Manchester, Canada, and Florida :)

Alfred Thompson
09-17-2002, 04:03 PM
Is no one bothered by trying to make two regionals in two weeks? (BAE and UTC). Logistics aside, there is the idea of missing 4 days of school in 2 weeks.

Ian W.
09-17-2002, 04:28 PM
last year we did SBPLI and NYC. that's two in two. it wasn't that bad, and we all had fun. also, we all learned a very important lesson. commuting to NYC sucks :D

Rob Colatutto
09-17-2002, 05:22 PM
right now, we have two in two weeks, and very possibly a 3rd in three weeks, miss 6 days of school very nice

Alfred Thompson
09-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Missing 6 days of school in 3 weeks? Your grades are THAT good that you can afford that. I'm impressed.

Harrison
09-17-2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Alfred Thompson
Is no one bothered by trying to make two regionals in two weeks? (BAE and UTC). Logistics aside, there is the idea of missing 4 days of school in 2 weeks.

My team is doing back-to-back this year. Great lakes weekend of the 22nd, then the Canadian on the weekend of the 27th.

We're only missing 2 days of school for each...we're leaving after school on the wednesday for MI. And the CR is our regional, so its no distance at all (the joys of staying at home).

Then after the regionals, we're off to the Nats. We're making a vacation out of the trip as well as for Robotics, so we'll be gone from school for a week.

The princiapal of my school thinks its great, and doesnt mind at all that her tech teachers and all us wonderful students will be gone that much.

Alfred Thompson
09-17-2002, 05:43 PM
I think I'd worry if my principal didn't mind me missing a week of school. :-)

Ashley Weed
09-17-2002, 07:03 PM

Mine have never really cared either. My freshman and sophomore year, I had to fill out the common 'educational field trip' forms, and I went for almost 2 weeks both years. This year, my principal found out I was a driver and never questioned any of the 20 days I missed for Robotics! Best of all I didn't have to make up any of the work this past year either.

Alfred Thompson
09-17-2002, 07:25 PM
I'm not sure you can be promoted or graduate with 20 missed days in one year at our school.

And in my classes you would make up the work or fail. And I'm more easy going than most.

Ashley Weed
09-17-2002, 07:30 PM
Technically/Legally we can't miss 20 days either. However, their are different types of absences in my school. I am not sure about the other schools on my team, but ours you can do it. Just like when the athletes miss school for games or what not, it isn't considered an absence in your record. They do the same thing for robotics, it isn't really listed as an absence, you just don't attend classes.

Madison
09-17-2002, 10:25 PM
Hrm. Does anyone think it's a very real possibility that they're not going to get into more than two regionals anyway?

Last year, first capped the number of regionals a team can attend. This year, there will only be more teams.

Plus, with the registration for 1st and 2nd events staggered, there's a very real chance that the 2nd regional teams want to attend will be full by the time they can get to it.

Kristina
09-17-2002, 10:51 PM
Last year my friend, who was the team captain of 691, missed 3+ straight weeks of school to build the robot. Of course he could pull this off because his mom was a teacher and he was extremeley smart. I think he missed like 80 total days of school or something like that this year...I know, we're still bewildered as to how he graduated!

Greg Perkins
09-26-2002, 03:56 PM

AT nashua High, in 2001, the principal went to nationals with us, and the great faculty called my house when i was at nats and asked why i wasnt at school, and guess what my parents said to the secretary??
SAME PLACE AS YOUR PRINCIPAL!!!
*response* o??? nevermind, click.

Badjokeguy

Gui Cavalcanti
09-26-2002, 04:12 PM
My team gets thwacked pretty hard if we miss too many days of school. A lot of us are taking 4 or 5 AP courses, and regionals and nationals just happens to occur during the crunch time for AP studying (nationals may even happen the week before the AP tests start, I think). We also go to a Governor's School in VA, so the classes are demanding on their own, and to miss 4 days in 2 weeks is a death sentence that you won't shake off for a good month or two.

We do have excused absences though, so it doesn't count as automatic failure of all courses for the day...