PDA

View Full Version : Point System During Finals

gniticxe
01-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Hmmm, there is a bit of confusion in my team concerning the scoring system after the qualifying matches. We understand that during the qualifying matches, 'match' points are converted into Qualifying Points (QPs) which determine your seeding for the finals - the 3x loser match points for the winning alliance and loser gets loser match points. However, once the qualifying rounds are over, and the finals start, does the same system apply? Some people on my team believe that the outcomes of the finals matches are based solely on match points, not using the QP process ( 3x loser score -- note, Qualifying points). Any ideas?
Please see SC-10 in the Game PDF file.
The scoring system, when mentioned, always concerns the qualifying matches, we cannot find any concrete details about the finals scoring - different or same as qualifying.
Thanks for your help - as the result could change a strategy completely.

Mike375
01-05-2002, 06:49 PM
They didn't directly outline it, but I'd assume it will just be your alliance's raw score in the elimination rounds. I sort of recall that being the method used in 2000. Even if they used the losers score x3 it wouldn't really matter, since you'd still win one match; and the alliance who wins 2 out of the 3 matches advances.

Hope I helped,

Mike375

Ken Leung
01-05-2002, 06:59 PM
Back at 2000, the finals didn't use the qualifying scoring methods pretty much because they only count how many match you win.

The score of a stage of finals aren't passed into the next stage. So, as long as you win a match, say 1 to 0, then you still win the match, and you advance into the next stage if you win 2 out of 3 matches.

So, they did that 2000, and it make sense to use this system again this year... If it is anything else, they would've mentioned it at the kickoff. ;)

l1jmx
01-06-2002, 12:03 AM
Yeah, I had this same realization a little bit ago. Hopefully FIRST will clarify it. The rules would imply that they're dropping the x3 of the losers score for the elimination round. Personally, I think it would make more sense to do 3 matches with QP and find the winner that way. It would be more exciting with chances for big comebacks and such if the two scores were close. Just my opinion.

Chris_C
01-06-2002, 01:07 AM
If I remember correctly, someone asked this question to Dean and Woody at the kickoff today, and they said that the system in finals would be the same as it was in 2000, meaning that all that determines how teams advance during the finals will be their actual wins and losses, QPs no longer are a factor in the game for those rounds.

--Chris Casinghino
Team 131