PDA

View Full Version : 19 team NYC regional??

Rob Colatutto
10-02-2002, 02:23 PM
does anyone know why the NYC regional can only have 19 team max? or is this just an error.... also a lot of events are smaller this year, UTC is only going to be 30 teams

Kyle Fenton
10-02-2002, 03:18 PM
Those are just typos for now, I assure you.

I registration and all that is messed up.

You can barley hold an off-season with 19 teams, never mind a regional.

Also a regional, has to have a minimum of 40 teams, period.
Last year there were regionals with 70+ teams, so I think when it all gets sorted out, you will see the numbers in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and maybe 80s.

David Kelly
10-02-2002, 03:33 PM
sometimes what they do is hold spots for rookie teams, or maybe NY teams. some of the NASA sponsored regionals hold spots for the NASA sponsored teams that won a grant. im sure that is the reason.

Madison
10-02-2002, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Kyle Fenton
Those are just typos for now, I assure you.

I registration and all that is messed up.

You can barley hold an off-season with 19 teams, never mind a regional.

Also a regional, has to have a minimum of 40 teams, period.
Last year there were regionals with 70+ teams, so I think when it all gets sorted out, you will see the numbers in the 50s, 60s, 70s, and maybe 80s.

24 teams is, traditionally, the minimum number a regional can support, not 40.

New York City is a new venue. I suspect that the limit is 24, but, like you say, they're playing it safe.

Most of the regionals are under-filled.

Trashed20
10-02-2002, 06:16 PM
well, you can only register for one event right now, so some regionals have 3 teams registered, but registration is opened up again on November 1st i believe.

Madison
10-02-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Trashed20
well, you can only register for one event right now, so some regionals have 3 teams registered, but registration is opened up again on November 1st i believe.

According to the Dealines page (yes, the typo is intentional, as it's misspelled on FIRST's page), the registration for the second event begins on November 3, while registration for all other regionals becomes a free for all on Nov. 17. NASA Sponsorship winners, however, will not be announced until the 20thof November.

Matt Attallah
10-02-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Michael Krass

According to the Dealines page (yes, the typo is intentional, as it's misspelled on FIRST's page), the registration for the second event begins on November 3, while registration for all other regionals becomes a free for all on Nov. 17. NASA Sponsorship winners, however, will not be announced until the 20thof November.

I think they are waiting for that second round to open up some more spots! That would be pretty stupid if they only allow some 50 teams to GLR...

E. The Kidd
10-02-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Nataku
does anyone know why the NYC regional can only have 19 team max? or is this just an error.... also a lot of events are smaller this year, UTC is only going to be 30 teams

The NYC regional will only have about 27-30 teams this year. Riverbank is a smaller venue than Columbia but at least you can enjoy the setting of a park (baseball fields, basketball courts, track, etc.) Oh well, at least they have shopping (outside of the park that is)

mtaman02
10-02-2002, 09:18 PM
im not one that gets used to change quickly. but comparing riverbank to columbia. i would have to say that this change was mandatory in order to hold a nice size regional in NYC without squashing the teams in the pits / field and stands. Riverbank is a bit larger 19 teams is probably a typo; there should be at least 27 going. and thanks to me my team remembered that they needed to sign for this regional. the only other team from staten island NY going besides us is team 375 Robotics Plague. Unfortunaetly Team 371 The Cyber Warriors will not be accompany us to S.I. teams at NYC regionals on top of it all I don't think there competing at all this year.

Rich Wong
10-08-2002, 12:48 PM
yeh, with the new venue and smaller resources the
NYC Regional organizer is reducing the number of
teams to 23 (19 is a typo).

If you really, really, really want to attend the
NYC-Regional call the:

Ana Lucia Martinez
Co-Director, New York City FIRST!
Polytechnic University
6 Metrotech Center JB 358
Brooklyn NY 11201
718-260-3383

Good luck!
:)

Elgin Clock
10-08-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by team 713

The NYC regional will only have about 27-30 teams this year. Riverbank is a smaller venue than Columbia but at least you can enjoy the setting of a park (baseball fields, basketball courts, track, etc.) Oh well, at least they have shopping (outside of the park that is)

Anybody know of any good Accomodations around RiverBank Park???
Average to next-to-nothing price range will do!! Gotta Love Budgeting!!!

E. The Kidd
10-08-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Elgin Clock

Anybody know of any good Accomodations around RiverBank Park???
Average to next-to-nothing price range will do!! Gotta Love Budgeting!!!

The hotels around Riverbank you wouldn't really want to stay at. IM me and I can help you find a good hotel within your price range (I do a lot of shopping up by Riverbank so I have some idea of how to get there quickly)

p.s. my aim name is trueyank32

Mike371
10-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Rumor has it that columbia pulled out at the last minute. Is it true?

Rich Wong
10-10-2002, 12:45 PM
The previous president of Columbia retired and a
new president came on board but he turn out to
be a non-supporter of FIRST and it's mission.

So NYC-FIRST was shown the door.

:(

Elgin Clock
10-10-2002, 03:56 PM
Ok everybody, you heard what Rich said. We have non-supporters at Columbia.

You know what that means, don't give Columbia your tuition money!!

Boycott Columbia!!

mtaman02
10-12-2002, 07:33 PM
by the way riverbank state park increased the amount of teams participating from 19 to 24.

and whats this i here non supporters of FIRST take over columbia univ.

that upsets me

everyone loves FIRST.