PDA

View Full Version : Pneumatics pump allowed on robot?

bigqueue
01-05-2002, 10:59 PM
I'm again sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have not gotten to the KIT PARTS PDF of the manual, and itr might be answered there.....

But my question is: Is the electric air pump allowed on the robot? The rules sort of state that all Pneumatics power must come from the storage tanks pumped up only by the supplied air pump...but that doesn't mean it can be mounted on the robot. (I'm an electrical guy, but those tanks sure look SMALL....so I am guessing that the pump can be on the robot. )(And I thought I saw that a relay module may power no more that one motor or pump)

-Quentin

:confused:

David Kelly
01-05-2002, 11:09 PM
yep it can:cool:

asher
01-05-2002, 11:16 PM
yes it can, and be careful, it will burn you, i promise, i can show you the scars

Justin Stiltner
01-06-2002, 02:28 AM
Not only can it burn you.. but the seals inside will suffer from this heat as well. We experanced that last year and our compressor that overheated on us (was workin on the programming and the engineers decide to "just let it run.. itll be ok") after over heating it took forever and a day to get to 120psi....

Scott358
01-06-2002, 08:24 AM
Just a general comment regarding the compressor.

This compressor is designed for "intermitment use", which basically means it's a low cost unit.

Whenever designing with an intemitment use device, one of your design criteria should be to run it as little as possible while getting the performance you need. This will minimize overheating, and prolong the life.

In the case of the compressor, this means minimizing the consumption of air. One simple way of doing this is to minimze the cylinder bore and stroke to only what you need. This design challenge will not only reduce the comsumption, but in the industrial arena, will save money.

As a side note, also in the industrial world, the cost of running a compressor can be quit high, so minimizing air consumption can save a lot of money over time.

Hope that info helps.

Regards,
Scott358
Festo Corp
Corporate Sponser of Hauppauge High

Dan 550
01-06-2002, 12:30 PM
How did you get an always-on pump past the inspectors? When we were getting checked, that was the first thing they pointed out that we had to fix.