PDA

View Full Version : Who's Coming - Arizona Regional - Will we be your next Pick?

Don Knight
10-07-2002, 06:20 PM
Hey FIRST'ers

Trying to get a early idea on who may be signing up to come to the Arizona Regional as their 2nd or 3rd regional event? :p

Would love to have to make more room our first FIRST year.

Please post and let us know....

Temps that time of year are in the mid 70's and sunny for all of you snowbound teams. Nicer than at Nationals because of low low humidity. :cool:

Yan Wang
10-07-2002, 06:21 PM
Sry... we're in NY and the school and parents would never let us go that far! :D

Dave_222
10-07-2002, 08:59 PM
Hey 222 the Tigertrons here we will be there as our first competition. No nationals this year so we picked AZ. It will be good to mingle with some of the west coast teams that we normally wouldn,t run with.

Jeff Waegelin
10-07-2002, 09:38 PM
I'd love to come out to AZ. It would be cool, and I'd love to do a far-away regional, but unless we can secure some more funds and I convince the parents, I don't think we'll make it.

sidewinder
10-08-2002, 08:48 AM
afer last year i don't want to go up against 60, 64 unless its national finals

Greg Ross
10-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by sidewinder
afer last year i don't want to go up against 60, 64 unless its national finals
I hope you're not serious.:( The Bionic Bulldogs and the Gila Monsters are great competitors, and we have learned much from each of the competitions we been in with them both.

Ken Loyd
10-12-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by gwross

I hope you're not serious.:( The Bionic Bulldogs and the Gila Monsters are great competitors, and we have learned much from each of the competitions we been in with them both.

GW,

Thank you for the kind words. The Beach Bots and the Bionic Bulldogs are both class acts and we were delighted to select both of you in LA last season. Hey, I have an idea, let's all go to LA and do it again next year.

Thank you again.

Is it Jan 4th yet?

Ken Loyd
Team 64

Mike Rush
10-13-2002, 09:10 PM
The Beach Bots, Bulldogs, and Gilas all know the issue in pairings is TEAM WORK! The success of the ALLIANCE! (I could list at least another dozen names here but I chose to stick to the few in the previous posts)

Assuming the Gilas are picking, I would expect the choice of alliances to be based on what will be best for the alliance - nothing more, nothing less. I would expect both the Beach Bots and the Bulldogs to do the same. Every successful team makes these types of decisions based on the synergy of the machines and the reliability of the teams. It's the mark of a great teammate.

I would rather be paired with a less versitile machine and a team who will make every attempt to fulfill thier part of the plan, than the most versitile machine in the world and a team who agrees to a plan and then deviates without notice.

Its not allways the best machine that wins... It is, however, usually the best team.

The Gila's have a saying which goes something like this... 'We will do what we say or we'll leave pieces of our machine scattered about the field trying...'

In my humble opinion.... and, of course, there is no bias in my comments. :p

Ken Loyd
10-13-2002, 09:45 PM
Let me speak about Mike Rush and his humble opinion. Mike is the heart and soul of the Gila's. Five short years ago Mike brought FIRST to Highland High School. His understanding of the qualities of FIRST infected the students and staff. What Mike said at the end of his letter can be said for most of the good teams. Just like Teams 60 and 330, the Gilas leave their egos at the door and give our all for the alliance. Just like Teams 60 and 330, we will never refuse a partnership if selected and we will never do less than the best we can. Thanks Dean, Thanks Woody, Thanks Mike Rush.

Ken Loyd

WakeZero
10-15-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Mike Rush
The Gila's have a saying which goes something like this... 'We will do what we say or we'll leave pieces of our machine scattered about the field trying...'

That is for sure, I remember having to repair the entire front frame of our bot due to several of those 'do or die' matches :rolleyes:

MacZealot
10-21-2002, 11:16 PM
987 is going to it :)

I might be there :D

Redhead Jokes
10-28-2002, 09:50 PM
We plan to register for AZ as our 2nd pick but are having terrible funding troubles this year.

Elgin Clock
10-29-2002, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Don Knight
Hey FIRST'ers

Trying to get a early idea on who may be signing up to come to the Arizona Regional as their 2nd or 3rd regional event? :p

Temps that time of year are in the mid 70's and sunny for all of you snowbound teams. Nicer than at Nationals because of low low humidity. :cool:

Yeah, I thought that really funny that we got an invite to the Arizona regional from the Gila Monsters last year at Nats, since we're from Connecticut.

Don Knight
10-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Elgin Clock

Yeah, I thought that really funny that we got an invite to the Arizona regional from the Gila Monsters last year at Nats, since we're from Connecticut.

So, Elgin is your team going to try and come or not? I would think that being up in Connecticut you would want to escape the cold and snow? :confused:

Seven of the Eighteen teams currently registered for the Az Regional are from out-of-state, choosing AZ 1st, over regionals in their home or ajoining states. :p

Can't wait to see what happens next week, when registrations open up again. :)

Saying that Arizona is "HOT" (mid 70's) in March is really enticing when you're looking a wind chill factors below zero. :cool:

The invite from the Gila Monsters still stands, hope to see you here! :)

Elgin Clock
10-29-2002, 05:08 PM

So, Elgin is your team going to try and come or not? I would think that being up in Connecticut you would want to escape the cold and snow? :confused:

Seven of the Eighteen teams currently registered for the Az Regional are from out-of-state, choosing AZ 1st, over regionals in their home or ajoining states. :p

Can't wait to see what happens next week, when registrations open up again. :)

Saying that Arizona is "HOT" (mid 70's) in March is really enticing when you're looking a wind chill factors below zero. :cool:

The invite from the Gila Monsters still stands, hope to see you here! :)

I'd have to say no at this point but you never know what lies ahead. I would love to go to Arizona personally, I don't like the heat much, but I'm sure it would be great for my allergies! LOL

Plus, it would be the furthest west I would have ever traveled.

gilachick
11-05-2002, 12:38 PM
I can proudly say that the new team in Tucson, Az will be there. And we will be lookinf forward to seeing the Gila Monsters since all the mentors come from that team. And I agree with Mr.loyd. Mike Rush is the heart and soul of the Gila monsters and in my humble opinion we try hard and we win big. So all of you teams come feel the heat in Arizona.

Redhead Jokes
11-08-2002, 02:13 AM
*whew* It's looking more promising that we'll have funding for 2nd regional at AZ.

Hope our 2 rookie teams can come with us.

Don Knight
11-08-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Redhead Jokes
*whew* It's looking more promising that we'll have funding for 2nd regional at AZ.

Hope our 2 rookie teams can come with us.

Things are really looking great here in AZ. We currently (11/8) have only 5 spots remaining. I'm sure we could squeeze a few more if needed.

We are glad so many out-of-state teams have decided to come. Many people have no idea what Arizona is like, and this trip will open up many eyes. Suprise, it's not all dirt and sand like in the old time western movies.

Plan on having a "Great" time during your time here, and get ready for one of the best competitions and team socials you have every been to. :)

Redhead Jokes
11-08-2002, 11:13 AM

Things are really looking great here in AZ. We currently (11/8) have only 5 spots remaining. I'm sure we could squeeze a few more if needed.

Plan on having a "Great" time during your time here, and get ready for one of the best competitions and team socials you have every been to. :)

Now our rookies need to find funding for 2nd regional to join us.

Looking forward to an adventure...

:D

Redhead Jokes
01-25-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Redhead Jokes
We plan to register for AZ as our 2nd pick but are having terrible funding troubles this year.

Doing the HAPPY DANCE!!!

Our airfare and hotel is paid for. 38 people going! 11 adults, 27 kids. 2 of the kids are from rookie team Santa Monica and 2 are from rookie team South High (we're following Chatworth's lead and inviting 2 student reps from rookie teams to join us at a regional/national), 1 from Peninsula High who's part of our team cuz his school wouldn't get their own team started, and our 10yo computer programmer whiz.

Let the good times roll!

HolyMasamune
01-25-2003, 11:26 PM
Hey FIRST'ers

Isn't Arizona in the middle of the desert? And it's only 70 degrees? wow :rolleyes:

srjjs
01-26-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by HolyMasamune
And it's only 70 degrees?
70 degrees C

George
01-26-2003, 10:31 AM
70 Degrees C.............Wrong!

70 Degrees F, Low 50 F.........its WINTER remember!

greenz_gurl15
01-26-2003, 02:17 PM
Team 812 from San Diego will be there. Congrats to AZ for getting your own regional.

WakeZero
01-26-2003, 07:51 PM
And what a regional it will be! I see many eyes pointed our way because there will be a lot of experienced teams bidding for power... not to mention any new beasts that may or may not crush their way through :rolleyes:

Courtneyteam330
02-09-2003, 09:49 PM
BEACH BOT 330 is coming!!!!!! It is my first year on the team but I am glad we are going! I can't wait to meet all the other people who we partnered with (and everyone else to :) ) c ya there!!!!

Don Knight
02-12-2003, 08:49 AM
You may have seen and heard him at the 2001 World Series, or a various MLB, NFL, NCAA events, or even at the 9/11 Tribute in New York.
Nationally renowned trumpeter extraordinaire Jesse McGuire has agree to play the National Anthem at the opening ceremonies at the Arizona Regional.

THANK YOU JESSE!

Redhead Jokes
02-12-2003, 11:41 AM
You may have seen and heard him at the 2001 World Series, or a various MLB, NFL, NCAA events, or even at the 9/11 Tribute in New York.
Nationally renowned trumpeter extraordinaire Jesse McGuire has agree to play the National Anthem at the opening ceremonies at the Arizona Regional.

very cool. Looking forward to it. So glad our team's going to be able to experience your regional.

Scott Ritchie
02-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Team 234 is looking foreword to coming down to AZ. One of our sponsors is an AZ based company (LHTEC). They are a Honeywell and Rolls Royce partner and has covered some of our way there. Our inspiration for coming out there was the fact that 330 came to our out of season event here in Indianapolis (IRI) so we thought we need to get out and see some teams that we only see at Nationals and mix it up a little. We are looking foreword to seeing you all there especially since it was a neg. 4 degrees on my way to school this morning.

I hope our robot gets there since we will be in Richmond, Va the previous weekend. :confused:

We are bringing:

23 students
7 Engineers
4 Teachers
1 College Student
15 Parents

George
02-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Hi Jokes,
Is your team going to Chatsworth this weekend?

Redhead Jokes
02-12-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by George
Is your team going to Chatsworth this weekend?

Yes, did I hear you're not?

George
02-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Nope!
14 of this countries future And some of us shop bums
will be there Sat PM for setup

Collin Fultz
02-12-2003, 10:20 PM

THANK YOU JESSE!

that's gonna be cool...as a trumpeteer myself i would love the opportunity to see a great in action...of course, any thing would be better than the "anthem" last year at our first regional. if you can call it the national anthem.

"Over (that's right two syllables not one) the land and of the sea And the home of the brave"

Two days in a row...i was offended

Dave_222
02-13-2003, 10:51 PM
Your friends from the east coast are still coming and we plan on having some hardcore first fun and we hope you do too.

Danaca
02-19-2003, 09:59 AM
Cryptonite (624) can't wait to get there, although the weather here in Texas is about the same as Arizona, just more humid. Glad to see 57 is going there too, they have helped us out numerous times, as well as 118. I guess Texans stick together.

DougHogg
02-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Team 980, recently renamed "The ThunderBots" is going to the Arizona Regional. We are looking forward to seeing everyone from Arizona that we met at the S. Calif. Regionals in 2002, and those Calif. teams attending also.

Last year, our robot was the one some people called the "popcorn robot" because we were popping up soccer balls. This year, we have a big telescoping arm on top. I just found out that Team 234 Cyber Blue has a big arm also. Should be interesting!

See you soon.