PDA

View Full Version : Cool guests to your local regional...

Rich Wong
10-10-2002, 01:49 PM
Wow, NYC-First Regional is getting a team visiting from
CA! This is cool.

What was the coolest or most distance team your
Regional ever received?

:)

Kristina
10-10-2002, 03:36 PM
we went to the seattle regional which isn't far really but everyone asked us why we went to seattle instead of going to the silicon regional competition that was also that weekend. but geez, those brazilians sure come a ways.

Elgin Clock
10-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Rich Wong
Wow, NYC-First Regional is getting a team visiting from
CA! This is cool.

What was the coolest or most distance team your
Regional ever received?
:)

Last year. NYC. England Team SPORK. Nuff Said.

sanddrag
10-10-2002, 06:38 PM
Hawaii came to LA in 2002.

D.J. Fluck
10-11-2002, 01:16 PM
The England team wins it looks like, but at the 2000 Great Lakes Regional, Team 34 from Alabama came up

(A few adult reps from 34 also came to the Kokomo Kickoff last year)

Wetzel
10-11-2002, 02:04 PM
No, the Brazillian team wins for longest distance traveled.
They flew 7200 miles each way(through Chigaco) to Seattle, while England to NYC is only 3400 miles.
Interestingly, the Great Curve route from Brazil is a s-shape because they cross the equator. Looks weird, but its the shortest distance.

Wetzel
~~~~~~~~~
MapPoint kicks arse

D.J. Fluck
10-11-2002, 02:09 PM
Didn't the Brazilian team go to the regional in Washington last year?

Kristina
10-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Yeah, they did as was mentioned earlier and everyone sure did love them up in Seattle. It was funny also when I went to Europe this summer there was so much Brazillian pride there too because apparently most of Europe doesn't like Germany so they were all rooting for the Brazil team for the world cup.

Joe Matt
10-11-2002, 03:15 PM
We had Brazil and Gila at VCU in past years except last.

Dave_222
10-13-2002, 04:00 PM
We are going to arizona this year.

FotoPlasma
10-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Team 190, WPI and Mass Academy, came to SVR in 2002. That was very cool.

CVT demos are very cool.

Alfred Thompson
11-01-2002, 09:14 AM
Looks like a school from Germany is coming to the BAE Granite State regional this year. A team from Canada is coming as well. This year the question may be 'how many countries came to your regional?"

Amy Beth
11-01-2002, 11:37 AM
what about famous people to visit your regional?

LA had Dean Kamen this year, and of course, the infamous Will Smith video. Um....teh Dave was there too. But what about like celebrities, politicians, foreign dignitaries? Anyone?

Mike Soukup
11-01-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by AmyBeth330
what about famous people to visit your regional?

LA had Dean Kamen this year, and of course, the infamous Will Smith video. Um....teh Dave was there too. But what about like celebrities, politicians, foreign dignitaries? Anyone?
*cough* visitors from the midwest *cough* ;)
Ok, so Andy & I aren't famous, but we sure had a good time in LA.

Redhead Jokes
11-01-2002, 03:17 PM
I can't say we've had famous or distinguished visitors in the past.

However, I hope to say different at 2003.

Cuz of our publicity Senator Bowen visited our facility. She drew additional visitors - school superintendents, principal, school board members.

In addition part of how we interact with sponsors, little or big, is to be sure they know when activities are, and that we'll save seats and share snacks at regional.

So far it SOUNDS like our school superintendents are coming to the LA Regional, AND the alumni club (remember our school was built in 1905) are planning to come.

Our work meetings are open house to the public 3xs a week - a '47 alumni came to check us out. We get regular visits to our open house, and expect the public will come to the competition if they know about it.

I don't know if the senator will be at the regional, but we have a very cool community calendar that is deceptively easy to use once you get the hang of it. I've applied for our own community calendar that can be incorporated into our web. Then any other orgs - school, city...can have our calendar merge with theirs if they choose. Or a "reader" can have our calendar incorporated in their view of a variety of org calendars. I haven't heard back about our calendar yet. But we've gotten our open house, SCRRF meeting, SCRRF robotics workshop, and the regional listed on local paper, school, and city community calendars. So we expect lots more people attending the regional.

South Bay Community Calendar (http://www.southbaycalendar.org)

http://smilies.networkessence.net/ups/majs/bigcrowd.gif

evulish
11-01-2002, 03:22 PM
Hehe. I don't think anyone would want to go to New Jersey. :-P

Ian W.
11-01-2002, 05:25 PM
810 + SVR = Happy ME :D

We get back from a little kickoff thing today, and my friend walks out and tells us that we're going to CA. we're all just standing there with our jaws on the ground. so yeah, i'm pretty happy now :)

Rob Colatutto
11-01-2002, 05:33 PM
midway during the meeting at the kickoff today, our advisor walks in and tells us that we got into the BAE regional, yay!

Aaron Lussier
11-01-2002, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Alfred Thompson
Looks like a school from Germany is coming to the BAE Granite State regional this year. A team from Canada is coming as well. This year the question may be 'how many countries came to your regional?"

GERMANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy moly thats crazy wish I had taken Gremany in School in case I need to borrow something.

Andy Baker
11-01-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Mike Soukup

*cough* visitors from the midwest *cough* ;)
Ok, so Andy & I aren't famous, but we sure had a good time in LA.

Yep... a great time. Not only that, but my wife was REALLY impressed the sumo wrestling exhibition. heh.

I'd like to go again this year, but I probably can't make it out west. I can say that volunteering at a Regional is loads of fun... even if we aren't treated like celebrities.

Andy B.

Alfred Thompson
11-02-2002, 08:58 AM
Sure there are parts of NJ that are the pits but they do not call it the Garden State for nothing. Parts of NJ are VERY nice.

Madison
11-02-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Alfred Thompson
Sure there are parts of NJ that are the pits but they do not call it the Garden State for nothing. Parts of NJ are VERY nice.

Yep. The parts you see in your rear-view mirror when you're on your way into New York ;)

Ryan Dognaux
11-02-2002, 11:30 PM
I dunno I can't think of any teams, but it will be cool when there are enough teams in England to have a regional there. :D

Redhead Jokes
11-08-2002, 02:09 AM
Just learned Alaska's coming to LA Regional.