PDA

View Full Version : Tshirts!!

activemx
10-19-2002, 11:39 PM
I was wondering how other tshirts go by there process with team apparel. How does your team processes them. Which companies your team uses. How much and how many? Design color etc...

Melancholy
10-20-2002, 09:26 AM
Last year my team didn't spend any money on t-shirts. We just used all of the polo shirts and t shirts that Symbol gave us. We didn't exactly have enough of the same type of shirt for everyone, so not everyone matched. This year so far, everyone brought in a white t shirt, and my friend Kim tye dyed them all.

MattK
10-20-2002, 10:18 AM
If anyone wants, I will do them through my website www.geek-gear.com (http://www.geek-gear.com)

We dont do Just T-shirts, we can add your logo on ANY of you want these products (http://www.angelfire.com/mac/geekgear/total.htm)

E-mail me if you are interested E-mail (matt@geek-gear.com)

Kristina
10-20-2002, 12:01 PM
if anyone remembers, i always bragged that our teammembers basically did everything from scratch. that includes t-shirts too!

we designed the entire t-shirt and then some members on our team who were in the print shop actually put our designs on silkscreens (omg, that took forever for them to get all the detail!). then me and two other people spent hours inking the shirt up to the late hours so we could have them for our first scrimmage. the only thing we didnt' do was basically sew the shirts together ourselves, but i coulda if it really came down to it :) lots of work but saved us tons of money and they really looked professional, everyone at the seattle and la regionals were coming up and saying they liked our t-shirts.

evulish
10-20-2002, 12:43 PM
Uhm. Our team is weird. We had 2 official t-shirts (one for regionals and one for nationals). We then had 2 unofficial shirts (one was my design, one was the adults). Weedie and I both came up with the ideas for parts of all but one of the shirts.

Our regionals design was a dickies shirt with a massive Chuck logo on the back. (The Dickies shirt was originally going to be for the unofficial shirt but everyone seemed to like it and got rid of our design and put our button logo on the back.) I don't remember where we got the shirts...If I remember correctly, I think team 211 also used Dickies...we got them the same place as them. We got them cheap from some warehouse or something because the seam was messed up (it's really not noticeable at all...they just didn't pass inspection).

Our nationals shirt was a blue tshirt with our Chuck logo on the front and a big Team 84 on the back with our sponsors and stuff below. Weedie and I came up with the big Team 84 Chuck text for the back...that was also going to be part of the unofficial shirt...but people liked it so it got used on one of the real shirts.

Our unofficial shirt was a black shirt with stitching on it I believe. http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/pictures.php?action=single&picid=3122 <-- it's that shirt. Anyways, that was my design :D (Well...sorta, the design was soooo much cooler before the lady who did the shirts messed up royaly). We sent the design with our PR girls to the tshirt lady. That was mistake number one...never send PR people to do anything of any sort of importance :P *runs away* Anyways, we were going to have my design screenprinted on the front. Somehow, that didn't happen...and it got sewn onto the front. It tooks weeks (months, maybe) to get the shirts back. We were given them on the bus on the way to a competition. Might I say, she was a bit slow. Anyways, we got the shirts for free :) So that was nice...and they were all small XL's. Heh.

The adult unofficial shirt had the text "Up Chuck & The Retching Geeks" on it. Yes, wretching was spelled 'retching' on the shirt...which makes it even better. It was blue on a yellow shirt I think...then some blue dye was put on to make it look pseudo-tie-dye. Didn't work. Blue and yellow make green. So rather than having snazzy blue and yellow shirts...we had shirts that look like they were 'up chucked' onto :P Anyways...that ones my favorite shirt :D

All of our screen printing was done locally. Getting the community involved is nice and it's usually not very expensive. To keep the cost down on the silk screens...we tried to use max 4 colors...since you pay by the color normally.

I could go weeks without wearing anything but robotics shirts.

evulish
10-20-2002, 12:55 PM
My personal rules for making shirts.
1. Don't overdo the design. Something simple. 4 (or less) colors that stand out but match each other and the shirt is probably the best.
2. No incredibly massive designs...especially on the front. IMO, front images look horrible...sometimes on certain people more than others. For (almost) all people, the back is straight and flat. The front...well...that's another story.
3. Designs shouldn't go higher or wider than the shoulder blades. That's just personal preference, but so is everything else I've said :) Starting too high or going too wide looks unprofessional normally. There are certainly exceptions to this, but not too many.
4. Make it large enough so it can be read/see without strain. OK. You're in a crowd of 10,000 kids and trying to find 40 other kids that look like you. Make something noticeable. I noticed many many many designs at nationals that all looked alike. I recommend a flashy design on the back and the team number/name on the front.
5. Use an original type of shirt. Or at least not a regular tshirt. Dickies shirts were really nice...one word: pocket-protecter capable! :) (Heh...I can't count) MOE's shirts really stood out. Maybe it was the green...but the type of shirt was nice. Might be expensive, though.

So much for my 'rules' :) I usually keep that in mind when thinking of shirt ideas.

MattK
10-20-2002, 01:04 PM
Use your school colors

Ashley Weed
10-20-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by evulish
Uhm. Our team is weird. We had 2 official t-shirts (one for regionals and one for nationals). We then had 2 unofficial shirts (one was my design, one was the adults).

In addition to the two official and two unofficial shirts this year.... we had a yellow dickies shirt and a blue dickies shirt with all of the team stuff printed on it for the drive team. Yeah, 6 shirts for team 84 in 2002!

Adams High Man
10-20-2002, 05:48 PM
the t-shirt situation on our team is pretty interesting... i have like 5 different team shirts in my closet. i also have long sleeved versions and a sweatshirt. we got some obsessed tshirt designers on our team... this year there seems to be a lack of morale in our team, though... so i dunno how many shirts we will have

evulish
10-20-2002, 07:26 PM
*counts all robotics related shirts*
Hum.
2 team shirts from 2000
nats shirt from 2000
PA robotics challenge from 2000
2 team shirts from 2001
2 team shirts from 2002
2 unofficial team shirts from 2002
shirt from duel on the delaware
that free first shirt

That makes 12. Thats 2 weeks of shirts. (Yes, 14 days = 2 weeks...but shirts can be worn more than once :P)

Andrew Rudolph
10-20-2002, 07:33 PM
Each member had 2 of our T shirts to wear for friday and saturday at the competitions. They had our logo on the front and our team name and number on the back. We are lucky because our school/team colors are black and white so we only have 1 color to get screened, makes it cheap. Also we had black Dickies Jumpsuits for all of the pit crew and operators. These had logos screened on the back in white. We had thoes done in skool. 2 years ago we were with team 168, we tie-died all of the shirts(210 of them) and screened all of them ourselves at school. It took an entire day to screen. I must have walked 5 miles back and forth putting the shirts in the oven.

as for guidelines for basic shirt design evulish hit in on the head.

Elgin Clock
10-21-2002, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by MattK
Use your school colors

Ummm.....No!!!!

Redhead Jokes
10-27-2002, 07:40 PM
Tshirts were designed a couple of years ago, slight changes since. Kiwanis paid @ $1400? of the $1700 tshirt bill, 1 tshirt for each member going to local competition, 3 tshirts for those going to national competitions.

Our printer's sold his business. New owners will give me $700 off $3000 bill, cuz we wanted a lot more tshirts this year. Our team #'s have doubled, among other things. I haven't yet approached Kiwanis about paying for the balance.

Tshirts 2001 coordinated with our robot.
http://www.bcrobotics.org/20022003/images/Robot-Itselfthumbnail_small.jpg

http://easyreader.hermosawave.net/news2001/0412/coverstory.asp

http://www.bcrobotics.org/20022003/publicrelations/pressreleases/images/electronicsynchronizationthumbnail.jpg