PDA

View Full Version : FIRST announces Championship location...or does it?

Joe Ross
11-14-2002, 01:29 AM
see the updated page for the details http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/chevents.htm (http://www.usfirst.org@1070434604/chevents.htm)

I don't know what to think...

Todd Derbyshire
11-14-2002, 01:32 AM
Well it could be that it is 1:30AM ET!!!! Breathe check maybe like around noonish or if you have to 8AM

Joe Ross
11-14-2002, 01:42 AM
The page seems to be working for some people that I have tried to show it too and not for others. they must be currently updating the site.

Here is what it says:
Due to events beyond the control of FIRST, the 2003 Championship will not be held. This is due mostly to the severe lack of sponsorship. Disney has expressed a desire to not be as involved as in the past, and a search for an alternate site has turned up several possibilities, but nothing that can be prepared in time.

As a result of this, FIRST is pleased to announce two new regionals, as an attempt to compensate for the lack of a Championship. These regionals will be held on 3/13 at Cornell University and will be sponsored by BorgWarner Automotive. It will have a capacity of 40. The other regional will held in the Pontiac Silverdome and has a capacity of 80 teams, making it the largest regional that FIRST has ever run.

Registration for these regionals is now open.

As always, FIRST regrets the decision to have to cancel the Championship. Qualifications for the 2004 will be cumulative based on the results of the 2003 and 2004 regionals, and any empty spots will be availible to odd numbered teams.

if you can't get it the first time, try another browser.

Katie Reynolds
11-14-2002, 01:56 AM
:eek: No Nationals? What?! :eek:

I suppose we should wait for tomorrow for the "official" announcement - I hope this isn't a test for tomorrow or something :(

- Katie

Hmm ... so who wins the pool ...?

Ken Leung
11-14-2002, 02:16 AM
For those of you who can't see the page, I attached a screen shot of the page that's supposed to display. Take a look.

Matt Leese
11-14-2002, 02:21 AM
I think that this could be very bad news for us. In the past couple years, a lot of credibility has been lost because of various decisions that FIRST has made. I don't really see how this is going to help us conclude our goals. If we continue to see dissappointments like this, there's no telling what may happen. Not to mention that I was hoping to go some place warm.

Matt

Joe Ross
11-14-2002, 02:31 AM
Personally, I like that there won't be any nationals. I think that it distracts from the overall role of FIRST. While, nationals at disney does help attract some students, in my experience, these students rarely get inspired by FIRST. perhaps the teams that I have been on haven't been great at the inspiration part, but I don't think not having Nats er the Championship will hurt.

I think it's cool that there will be an 80 team regional. Think they will have two fields?

Ken Leung
11-14-2002, 02:55 AM
Its not on the FIRST site yet, so we shall see if it's true by tomorrow.

Chances are, it is, because it looks real enough.

I am disappointed that I won't be seeing everyone else at the Championship event... But at the same time, I can't help but consider visiting other events. Like, a Michigan regional, or the Florida regional, maybe even Texas.

I wouldn't mind saving all the money that I wont be using in Disney World, and it would be cool to know teams better in a regional. Seriously, not having to spend money at Disney hotel and meals are going to save so much money ^^.

Someone asked, where's the Pontiac Silverdome, and here's the website I found: http://www.silverdome.com/

It looks big enough all right.

Well, considering all these possibility, maybe the big regionals can become "regional championship events". Texas regional looks like they are big enough, same with southern california at LA, and maybe the regional near DC.

Again, we shall see tomorrow

Jason Morrella
11-14-2002, 04:50 AM
# 1 - it's called a "rumor mill" for a reason
# 2 - Every year people jump to conclusions about decisions "FIRST" has made before FIRST makes any such announcement
# 3 - Just like the creative people who fool people into what the "game" or "scoring objects" are before the kickoff every year, I think someone has just started the hoax a little early this year (and they did it fairly well I might add).
# 4 - it's called a "rumor mill" for a reason
# 5 - if it's not a well done prank - I wonder how fast I can delete this post in the morning.

Travis Hoffman
11-14-2002, 05:07 AM
I'm no Web expert, but scroll your mouse over the hyperlink Mr. Ross included in his initial post. The visible text of the link indicates the correct address for the FIRST Championship Event website. Take a look down at the status bar at the bottom of Internet Explorer (if that's what you use). You'll find that it reads http://www.usfirst.org@1070434604/chevents.htm. Perhaps some Web-saavy individuals can explain this discrepancy for all of us.

I am 99.999314159% positive that is that this is a big fat Hoax-o-rama. I don't think FIRST is in the business of committing PR suicide....

"Due to events beyond the control of FIRST, the 2003 Championship will not be held. This is due mostly to the severe lack of sponsorship."

You gotta love that total lack of specifics. This mess of words is what FIRST would post if it wanted to stir up a hornet's nest among the community (it's also EXACTLY what a hoaxer would post in a Rumor Mill Forum if he/she wanted to see how many people would be duped by his/her ruse...hmm....). I know those folks aren't stupid. Unless FIRST has totally gone off the deep end, any official announcement as important as the cancellation of the Championship Event would include a full explanation of the details surrounding the decision.

"These regionals will be held on 3/13 at Cornell University and will be sponsored by BorgWarner Automotive. It will have a capacity of 40."

M. Krass must be cringing at the sight of such high quality writing. Unless FIRST suddenly hired the Anaheim Angels Rally Monkey to type up its web communiques, I doubt something this lame-sounding could ever come from them, even if it was a first draft that was accidentally published.

"As always, FIRST regrets the decision to have to cancel the Championship."

What does this mean, "As always"? When have they ever cancelled the championship before? Or does this mean that FIRST always regrets its decisions? I'm so confused....

"Registration for these regionals is now open."

LOL. Cancel the Championship, announce two new regionals, and then give teams zero time to let everything sink in and discuss among themselves whether or not they want to go? I don't think so.

Everyone try to sit back and relax until the *official* announcement stating the location and date of the Championship Event comes out later today, as FIRST promised it would. Please don't turn this thread into a monstrous display of hand-wringing, gnashing of teeth, and lamentations. I don't think any are necessary!

Besides, everyone knows Nats are going to be held in beautiful Cleveland, OH.... :-P

Melissa Nute
11-14-2002, 05:59 AM
funny joe...funny

Joel J
11-14-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Joe Ross
see the updated page for the details http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/chevents.htm (http://www.usfirst.org@1070434604/chevents.htm)

I don't know what to think... AHHHH!!! This is not the type of stuff I like to wake up to. That (http://www.usfirst.org@1070434604/) is the beachbot's website, so its a hoax.. whew! That was good joe.. but not.

MattK
11-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Hey I gotta go to school, can somone e-mail my cell phone today with details?!

mobile@htownradio.cjb.net

It cant be any bigger than 180 characters

Ashley Weed
11-14-2002, 07:08 AM
sick sick people.......

/me cries

Nate Smith
11-14-2002, 07:10 AM
As others have mentioned, the link posted by Joe is NOT the correct link to the championship announcement page. First, the @ symbol in the URL is actually a way to pass a username and password to a web site. So, everything BEFORE the @ is ignored when attempting to access a site. Also, if you look closer at the link, you will see that it links to http://www.usfirst.org@1070434604/chevents.htm, which, even if that did link to FIRST's web site, is not keeping with their directory structure. For the link to be accurate, it would have to be http://www.usfirst.org@1070434604/robotics/chevents.htm. Finally, I don't think anyone at FIRST is so anxious to get the location out to us that they would be up at 1:30 in the mornnig doing so. After all, all they said is that it would be announced today.

Joe Ross
11-14-2002, 10:52 AM
Just as about half the thread has deduced, this is a hoax. If you want real info from FIRST please see http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/CMPannouncement.htm (no hoax this time)

Just has T Hoffman deduced, the @ sign allows to the link to look like it is from FIRST's site. Everything before the @ sign is ignored, and only the stuff after it is shown. The whole link is

http://www.usfirst.org@1070434604/chevents.htm.

IE 6 seems to have a problem with the way I encoded the IP address (1070434604). Any other browser displays it fine, but IE 6 displays a page not found.

I included a "more information link", which clearly stated that this was a hoax. However, if you couldn't view the page in the first place, you definetly couldn't see the the hoax page.

The hoax page was hosted on a linux server sitting about 6 feet from me, hosted on our DSL connection. This server also happens to host a mirror of the beachbot's team webpage, which is unfortunate, because they were not involved in the hoax at all. Neither were any members of team 73, my current team.

Just like Jason said, don't trust anything that you see in the rumor mill.

I was going to delete the page, but it seems people still want to see it. If you only have IE 6, I suggest downloading opera (http://www.opera.com) or mozilla (http://www.mozilla.org)

Jon K.
11-14-2002, 10:56 AM
This is the correct announcement page.
http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/CMPannouncement.htm

Joe Matt
11-14-2002, 10:59 AM
They WILL be holding the Nats. What you saw was a hoax or a good Photoshop done by Ken.

Sorry people.

FotoPlasma
11-14-2002, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by JosephM
They WILL be holding the Nats. What you saw was a hoax or a good Photoshop done by Ken.

Sorry people.

Umm... did you read anything Joe just posted?

Joe Matt
11-14-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by FotoPlasma

Umm... did you read anything Joe just posted?

Now i did :D!!!

I guess I took to long to respond.

D'OH!!

Like said before, Never Trust What You See On The Rumors Board.

David Kelly
11-14-2002, 11:12 AM

Now i did :D!!!

I guess I took to long to respond.

D'OH!!

Like said before, Never Trust What You See On The Rumors Board.

read before you post!!!

Mike Soukup
11-14-2002, 11:17 AM
Great job Joe. That's best hoax I've ever seen on CD, and probably the cruelest ;) I sunk into depression until I looked at the URL. Glad to see you're keeping busy, now get back to your school work.

Ken Leung
11-14-2002, 12:28 PM

Sorry people.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I swear I did not use photoshop to create that picture! It was really what showed up on the screen when I use my roommate's computer and use Opera to log onto the link Joe showed on his post.

What I didn't do was click the "more information link" because I didn't want to take up my roommate's time too much, and that's why I didn't know it was a hoax until later.... Or did I? ;)

Either way, I think I would be too scared to be part of a hoax like this... I would've thought "what if this get too big and FIRST gets 5000 call 3am in the morning becaues of this?".

But looking at people's responds, I wish I took part of creating this... Good one Joe, got me too. Had me going crazy letting me think that I could save lots and lots of money not going to Disney next year :p.

Amy Beth
11-14-2002, 12:30 PM
teehee. he had me too. thanx to kt for pointing out the "more info" link that i missed completely.

smacks head repeatedly

D.J. Fluck
11-14-2002, 12:40 PM
Daaaah!

I vote for the banning of the Ross children from the FIRST community!! :p

ChrisH
11-14-2002, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by D.J. Fluck
Daaaah!

Would that include the oldest one, gwross?;)

Rich Wong
11-14-2002, 01:05 PM
This was not funny and a lot of people here got
very upset by the news.

I second the vote to ban!

:mad:

D.J. Fluck
11-14-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ChrisH

Would that include the oldest one, gwross?;)

nah, just the kids ;)

David Kelly
11-14-2002, 01:09 PM
it's in the RUMOR MILL. This stuff happens ALL the time. It was a JOKE. Thats what the RUMOR MILL is about. Funny jokes like that. and i thought it was pretty hillarious.

No banning for Joe.

srawls
11-14-2002, 01:35 PM
very upset by the news.

Umm ... he was joking about banning him.

And I enoyed the prank. Good job Joe Ross! I will be very wary come April 1st now, though ;)

Stephen

Ken Leung
11-14-2002, 01:36 PM
Daaaah!

I remember something similar when Dr. Joe "announced" he got the game of 2001 just a little bit before the 2001 kickoff, when he claimed that he found an e-mail from Dean to a sponsor explaining the game of 2001, and told us that he can't possibly keep it to himself.

We all had a good laugh, but some people got mad at Dr. Joe for it. I guess this is one of the not-the-best-thing-you-can-learn-from-Dr.Joe... ;) A bad tradition to pass on I suppose.

No need to ban anyone for the joke this time. I am sure the people involved won't be doing it again. Besides, we all got a good laugh at this when we found out its a hoax, and the Championship event is still happening.

For those of you who felt really strong about the "news" when it came out last night, you should be proud of how much you care about this competition. It wasn't about not going to disney anymore. It was about losing one of the greatest experience you can get in FIRST, and I salute you for caring about it so much.

Mean while, I shall wait and see who will be the next one to pull a joke this good in the future. ;)

Oh yeah, since the Championship event is "on" again, how about replying to my Question of the week for this week? ;-)

evulish
11-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Joe, I commend thee on a job well done.

That was one of the greatest hoaxes posted on a board I read. (Most of my other boards are incredibly tech-savvy boards) I wonder how many people got emails that Nats was canceled and now don't know that it's a hoax :P As mean/cruel/sadistic as that was...I like it :) I wish I had thought of it!

D.J. Fluck
11-14-2002, 08:26 PM
Yes Joe, excellent work my friend. Brilliant Scheme. A friend of mine came into school today telling us about this hoax, but he nor anyone else [students] knew that it was a hoax yet. We didn't believe it at first, but as time went on that morning, we started to worry, "What if this is true?!!"

Commendable Work My Friend

-D.J.

I wonder how many emails FIRST has recieved about the cancellation of nationals :D

rbayer
11-14-2002, 09:19 PM
Let's see:

1070434604 becomes 63.205.137.44, which is registered to PacBell DSL coming from a DSL relay on 2nd street in SanFran. Quite odd, considering FIRST doesn't have anything in that area...

Nice work, though. I just hope FIRST doesn't have to do to much work answering angry emails...

hixofthehood
11-14-2002, 09:27 PM
Very well done.

Nationals is so awesome I think I might have been forced to leave the country.

What a great joke... think that it distracts from the overall role of FIRST....
that's so hilarious

Rich Wong
11-14-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by rbayer

Nice work, though. I just hope FIRST doesn't have to do to much work answering angry emails... [/B]
------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, oh,... I think FIRST is going to be very, very busy.
:eek:

OneAngryDaisy
11-14-2002, 09:32 PM
you got me... and i'm sure you got others too..

absolutely brilliant- just don't do it again.

p.s- where'd you get the idea to do that?

Kit Gerhart
11-14-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by evulish
Joe, I commend thee on a job well done.

That was one of the greatest hoaxes posted on a board I read. (Most of my other boards are incredibly tech-savvy boards) I wonder how many people got emails that Nats was canceled and now don't know that it's a hoax :P As mean/cruel/sadistic as that was...I like it :) I wish I had thought of it!

All of our team members got an e-mail, from me, saying that Nats was cancelled. I feel like kind of a naive jerk, believing the hoax and sending the e-mail without going deeper into the thread. Oh well. After I learned that it was a hoax, I re-emailed everyone telling them that Nats was not cancelled.

patrickrd
11-14-2002, 11:41 PM
Originally quoted by Joe Ross
As a result of this, FIRST is pleased to announce two new regionals, as an attempt to compensate for the lack of a Championship. These regionals will be held on 3/13 at Cornell University and will be sponsored by BorgWarner Automotive. It will have a capacity of 40.

While it may have been intended a cruel (yet insanely well done and halarious) hoax, the potential validity of it is -- to me -- frightful. On Wed Oct 30 Dean visited Cornell university, and pressured Cornell administration to host a regional... scheduled in sync with realization that the nationals is in danger. Following the meeting he was involved in closed door meeting with Cornell administrators and certain engineering professors. What they discussed, I don't know but he might have been securing precisely what you describe, Joe.

"Now he has hope that he can persuade more universities to support FIRST and programs like it -- and he hinted that Cornell would be an ideal location for a FIRST regional championship." - Cornell Chronicle Article (http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronicle/02/11.7.02/DeanKamen_cover.html)

With the support that BorgWarger Automotive (a major auto parts manufacturer) has shown to team 639 over the past couple years, and the support of Cornell administration AND interest in hosting a regional which we had been talking about for 2 years, it is not at all unreasonably that it may be coming together... Let's hope it isn't in place of nationals, tho personally I'd love to see nationals in a new location!

hacksaw692
11-15-2002, 12:26 AM
i was in the science lab after school when i first read it and i screamed out in horror. people across the room were giving me strange looks. i swear i was about ready to cry. i haven't been to nationals and i want to go (granted that we qualify). i clicked on the more info link and started yelling at the computer upon realization of the joke. that gained me some more strange looks. i nearly cried again for falling for that. lol.

that was just evil. evil i tell you! but it was great!

dlavery
11-15-2002, 02:56 PM
#$^(!%!@#!! %$&#$^%!!! DON'T TELL ME NOW THAT IT IS ALL A JOKE!!! I JUST FINISHED SPENDING 2-1/2 HOURS ON THE PHONE WITH THE TRAVEL AGENT MAKING ARRANGEMENTS TO GET TO ITHACA NEXT SPRING!!!!

OK, well maybe not. :) Good one Joe!

-dave

p.s. I just hope your team never needs any more funding from NASA/JPL... :rolleyes:

Andy Baker
11-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Kit Gerhart

All of our team members got an e-mail, from me, saying that Nats was cancelled. I feel like kind of a naive jerk, believing the hoax and sending the e-mail without going deeper into the thread. Oh well. After I learned that it was a hoax, I re-emailed everyone telling them that Nats was not cancelled.

Yep... and I got a couple of calls around 11:00 last night due to Kit's email. Joe... man... that was definitely a good one!!

Kit... it was a good hoax, we all were fooled for a bit.

Andy B.

Amy Beth
11-15-2002, 06:34 PM
Daaaah!

what did i do?? /me is not smart enough to think of anything like that. You can always tell the oldest; they are the only ones cruel enough to try somethin like that

ChrisH
11-15-2002, 08:18 PM
Whenever you see something shocking like Joe's post, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS check the forum name. If it's in the Rumor Mill you know not to take it seriously.

Unless it was posted by Ken L, sometimes he will post someting serious there, in which case he is off-topic.

I know it's easy to use the portal to just get caught up on the latest, but the forum name is right at the top of the message.

BTW Joe, there are a few BeachBots who are still wondering whether to be mad at you for involving us or not. Personally I take the position that there is no such thing as bad publicity, just be sure you spell the name right.

Artfully done!

Stephanie
11-15-2002, 08:37 PM
beautiful! you really got me. i would have been on the horn...er, AIM ranting and mourning if there had been someone at their comuter that i could talk to :) a most excellent hoax!

MattK
11-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Yeah you got me good, when I saw it @ 6am I almost wet myself. Not until mod D when I got a e-mail that said it was a hoax did I feel ok.

evulish
11-15-2002, 11:08 PM
I think people need to take courses on how not to believe everything posted in a forums...especially links! You mean not everything on the internet is credible? Huh? :D

MattK
11-15-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by evulish
I think people need to take courses on how not to believe everything posted in a forums...especially links! You mean not everything on the internet is credible? Huh? :D

WHAT!?! If its on the internet it must be true!

BaysianLogik
11-16-2002, 11:17 AM
Um, i cannot speak for the rest of the page, but a Cornell University Regional THIS year, in my opinion, is extremely unlikely. Dean Kamen came here October 30th and spoke about him WANTING a regional, but that was it. We are trying our best to convince the administration that having a regional is a good idea, but the beuracracy here is extremely slow, so i don't think they could make a decision like this if it had only been in the works for a few weeks. Secondly, i would think myself and the team leader on my team would have heard something from the Associate Dean of Engineering in our meeting with her last wednesday if there was was indeed going to be a regional. She didn't even mention anything about cornell being interested in a cornell Regional. We are trying to get some statistics on the feasibility of having a regional, such as posting a thread on this page about who would be interested in having a regional, as well as getting contact info from the people at other universities on their ordeals about making a regional happen, but these have all been done by we the students. I might be completely wrong, and we might have been in the dark as far as having a regional as everyone else, but i doubt it.
-Matt Bays
Secretary
Team 639
Cornell University

BaysianLogik
11-16-2002, 11:42 AM
ok, i just finished reading the full thread, and, next time you guys make a joke, leave everyone except for FIRST out of it. If the Cornell administration ever found out that you guys did false advertisement on their behalf, a Cornell Regional would be out of the question, and they might even consider dropping the whole first program.

meaubry
11-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Lets be careful when you log into the website and be aware of what forum you are reading at ALL times. I know this thread has caused some concerns, but sometimes in our haste we lose sight of where we are reading from. This is called the Rumor Mill for a reason,so for general information make sure you are reading from the appropriately named forum. The rumor mill is not false advertising, as we don't allow advertising on the posts.
Thanks,
Mike Aubry
Team 47

Yan Wang
11-16-2002, 07:32 PM
Ok, I have no idea what to think... I could have easily believed the fact that the regional on 3/13 would be at Cornell... WHY!? because Dean was here two weeks ago and I gave him information to contact BorgWarner's president which I got from my dad... I dunno who else knew about this to actually have produced a hoax of a POSSIBLE location.

BaysianLogik
11-16-2002, 09:06 PM
Yan, its matt. I think i know. A week ago i put up a thread to poll the teams on who would be interested in going to a cornell regional. So far, 10teams have responded. The person that did the hoax probably saw the thread, and thats how that got started.

Yan Wang
11-16-2002, 09:16 PM
I find it extremely rude... if Cornell is somehow affected by this and it acts negatively upon our team, I'd like some words with the person who thought this was funny.

Joe Matt
11-16-2002, 09:17 PM
It takes 12 people over 3 years to create one new regional. And most of the time they also have another job to tend to.

So I wouldn't be surprised if Dean's looking at other regionals right as we speak for the 2006 season.

Jeremy Roberts
11-16-2002, 09:26 PM
I don't know about the 12 people 3 years thing. Dean came to Georgia Tech in the Spring of this year to try and get a regional hosted by Georgia Tech. It went through all the channels from the President down and the decision was made that we could not have it a Tech this year.

We were very disappointed, but a couple of months after that FIRST ended up getting a place and we are now having our very own Atlanta Regional (Yeah!!!!):D

Its great! The college students on the GT team are getting to work with the regional coordinator in the planning and organization of the entire regional. I have always wanted to be behind the scenes. This is great!!!

Maybe the same thing will happen with you guys in Cornell. hopefully you can hold it at the university.

Sorry if anyone thinks this is off topic for this thread. Just responding to a previous post.:)

Joe Matt
11-16-2002, 09:28 PM
Well, thats a special case, but most of my contacts tell me its a huge effort especaily if the venue isn't as devoted as Atlanta.

Jeremy Roberts
11-16-2002, 09:35 PM
Oh, its definatly a huge effort and your probably right about the time frame. I don't think that the Regional Coordinator sleeps. She is the same one who coordianates the Virginia regional.

Anyway...back to hibernating until the Nationals is announced.

Joe Matt
11-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Yeah, I know here.

And yes, she dosn't sleep. I also think she does the Phenoix one.

Amanda Morrison
11-17-2002, 01:49 AM
No championship event?

Today I saw video from the 1992 FIRST events. On a bed of corn, picking up tennis balls, it was just as competitive as it is today. Maybe the championship wouldn't be huge and extensive, but I think Dean would have SOMETHING for us to do.

Joe Ross
11-17-2002, 02:46 AM
very upset by the news.

If that is the consensus of the FIRST community, then I agree to abide by it.

And I enoyed the prank. Good job Joe Ross! I will be very wary come April 1st now, though

April 1st is too obvious

We all had a good laugh, but some people got mad at Dr. Joe for it. I guess this is one of the not-the-best-thing-you-can-learn-from-Dr.Joe... A bad tradition to pass on I suppose.

here is Dr. Joe's thread: http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11839&highlight=johnson+email

I should have learned the first time... It's amazing how things come back to you really quickly.

Nice work, though. I just hope FIRST doesn't have to do to much work answering angry emails...

I honestly hope so too. That was not the intent of this, in the least.

What a great joke... think that it distracts from the overall role of FIRST....
that's so hilarious

There are people that think that. I don't personally, but there have been discussions about it on these forums before.

absolutely brilliant- just don't do it again.

I can guarantee that I won't

-dave

p.s. I just hope your team never needs any more funding from NASA/JPL...

How come no one informed me that a team in Rochester, NY could get funding from JPL? Oh, well, there goes that opportunity :(

You can always tell the oldest; they are the only ones cruel enough to try somethin like that

ouch

BTW Joe, there are a few BeachBots who are still wondering whether to be mad at you for involving us or not. Personally I take the position that there is no such thing as bad publicity, just be sure you spell the name right.

wait, did I misspell a name somewhere?

Yeah you got me good, when I saw it @ 6am I almost wet myself.

That was not something I needed to know. :p

I find it extremely rude... if Cornell is somehow affected by this and it acts negatively upon our team, I'd like some words with the person who thought this was funny.

You may come visit me. I will be in Rochester (about an hour away from you) starting Nov. 30th. If anyone else would like to have a personal word with me, I will be in LA until then. You can also contact me via AIM, or e-mail, both of which are listed.

To all the people who were affected by this, I am sorry. I truly did not expect for this to have the impact that it did. It was meant to be an innocent joke, and unfortunately, it was blown way beyond what I thought it would. I have apologized to FIRST.

Once the cat is out of the bag, it isn't possible to get it back in, at least not without sustaining injury.

FotoPlasma
11-17-2002, 03:52 AM
I know I'm just repeating what others have already said, and I also know that I was not at all adversely affected by the joke, but I thought it was good.

Don't let this steal your sense of humor, Joe.

Bill Gold
11-17-2002, 03:56 AM
No worries Joe. I thought it was funny as hell. I was laughing hard for 5-10 minutes after I read the frantic replies ;). No need for you to sweat it if people can't take a good hoax/joke like this (or fall for the phoney url). Take it easy dude.

BaysianLogik
11-17-2002, 09:54 AM
don't worry, it was a hoax. I was fooled too

Jon K.
11-17-2002, 10:23 AM
I thought it was funny. Of course I knew it was fake because I went to the FIRST site and saw the official note before I came here on Thursday.

I vote that we let Joe stay.

Brandon Martus
11-17-2002, 02:55 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. Anybody who got to the end of the announcement and clicked the 'more info here' link shouldn't have been fooled by it.

Anyway, as Mr. Aubry said -- check the forum ... RUMOR mill = not necessarily true. :)

Redhead Jokes
11-17-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
I thought it was pretty funny. Anybody who got to the end of the announcement and clicked the 'more info here' link shouldn't have been fooled by it.

Anyway, as Mr. Aubry said -- check the forum ... RUMOR mill = not necessarily true. :)

I emailed the link to team and others before checking the more info, then quickly emailed the more info link which didn't work for our members, so unbeknowst to me the hoax was still being spread by word over the next days.

I was reeling for the evening. It had sunk deep into my head that there wouldn't be a championship. Can't say I was thrilled about the hoax, but boy do I admire the skill and timing.

And, yes, taught me again about checking the subject of the forum, checking that the link truly is what the words say it is...

*shrug* good lessons all around.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/otn/funny/bluegrab.gif

Tom F.
11-17-2002, 05:42 PM
Trustworthy Engineers and Trustworthy Engineering
November 17, 2002

The prank instigated by Joe Ross has just about run its course and it is time to reflect on some of the lessons learned from episodes like these. As the leader of BeachBots, Team 330, I am sorry and apologize that one of our past team members caused this mess.
Engineers have been given a great responsibility by society to provide the buildings and machines that we all use in our daily life. In many cases, our lives depend on the successful operation of these machines, e.g. airplanes, cars, buses, etc. In general, the people that use these machines have little insight into how they work but trust that they will. This trust is based on a past history of successful use.
In the brave new world of the World Wide Web, a few people know about the inner workings of web page design, how URLs work, use of html, etc. The great majority of users look at the web browser as a window to the web and knows little more about its inner workings. Someone with superior knowledge of web mechanics can devise a hoax that can fool other members of the community. Our natural inclination is to trust the word of others and behave accordingly. If the messenger has been trustworthy in the past then the message is more believable.
This is what makes the prank so sad. As an engineering manager with 28 years of engineering experience, I look for trustworthy engineers. I base recommendations to launch satellites on the recommendations of my employees. The outcome of anything less than the best possible effort causes a satellite to land in the ocean. There is no room for practical jokes or hoaxes in my business. I suspect that there is no room for them in any other engineering field either. As engineers, the coin of the realm is trust. We must tell the truth all the time and we must not lead others astray.
The motto of FIRST is gracious professionalism. Its value is to show what energy, skill and knowledge can accomplish. My job is to represent the values of my profession to those students involved in FIRST who are considering engineering as a career. To be a successful engineer you must tell the truth and be trustworthy. I know of no other way to be truly successful.

Tom Freitag, Leader
BeachBots, Team 330

Amanda Morrison
11-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Meh. Give him a break. It's also been on this board that there was going to be a water playing field, that there will be no seat-saving, and even the location of regionals has been questioned.

A) Don't believe everything you see or hear.

I don't think we should ban any kid for playing a prank in a thread called RUMOR MILL from FIRST. Dean or Woodie... personally, I think they'd get a good laugh out of this.

Just laugh at yourself for falling for it, and next time, don't be so quick to run off and spread the rumors.

Fooled just as much as everyone else,
Amanda

AJ Quick
11-17-2002, 05:53 PM
I didn't care to read all these replies, but the @ symbol in the address doesn't make it a usfirst.org site. I hope people didn't read that and believe it to be true.

dlavery
11-17-2002, 11:58 PM
Joe - from one prankster to another, well done. You left just enough clues for the observant few to catch on. Half of the rest appreciate a good joke (even when they are on the receiving end). The other half are ticked off because they were caught falling for it. They will get over it.

-dave

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Always tale your work seriously.

Never take yourself seriously.

D.J. Fluck
11-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Anyone who has the intelligence and brilliance to pull off something like that and cause mass chaos in the FIRST community deserves special recognition...

Iíve been referred to as the prankster of my family (Iím the oldest, go figure ), but I never could have come up with something so brilliant....

like Dave said, they will get over it...heck Iím already over it, and so should everyone else. It was a "harmless" prank, I donít think it killed or injured anyone (besides their ego's, for falling for it) so I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

If I had the chance to pull something of that magnitude off, heck I would do it.

Get your butt back here, cause Joe must not go!

-D.J.