PDA

View Full Version : Regional Animation Award?

Soukup
12-09-2002, 11:22 AM
does anybody know for certain if there is going to be a regional animation award?

if not, any reason why I have been hearing that there would be?

Ken Leung
12-09-2002, 12:34 PM
There were regional animation award at the west coast regionals last year. It was called people's choice animation award. What happened was that FIRST told each team at the regional that they can send in 1 representative, and together with other team reps they watched all the animation submitted in the regional. Then together they vote for the best animation that should receive the award.

Its one of the experimental things over here at west coast, and so far teams over here like it a lot, and I believe they will continue it next year.

Kristina
12-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Yup, my team really liked it a lot because we won the award at the Southern California Regional :) But biases aside, I think it was good because I think sometimes the animation team felt left out at the regional competitions because they mostly just watched the people work in the pits and then compete, this let them shine too.

Soukup
12-09-2002, 01:29 PM
well

I live in michigan and I really think that it would be sweet if we could get in on this, at chicago, west michigan, and ypsilanti regionals. What did First do, contact students and have them set it up, or let FIRST doit entirely on its own?

Trashed20
12-09-2002, 01:49 PM
we did have one of these at the great lakes regional. It was past the gym pit area to the left. I don't think they ever announced a winner though ....

Hailfire
12-10-2002, 04:56 PM
Regional award for Animation? Not sure, for the National, that's definite. At least, that's what I've heard from my coach.

Chris Nowak
12-10-2002, 06:40 PM
I sure hope its definite....

Well, as far as Regional Animation awards, if there isn't one at West Michigan and Midwest, maybe we should set one up and ask FIRST about getting it to be an official award. All we'd need is a laptop and a projector, and everyone would vote for the winner....I think that if FIRST is not planning on doing this we should take the initiative.

Soukup
12-12-2002, 06:30 AM
It's obvious that there is a national award and I didn't need clarification about that. but does anyone who was at the west coast regionals know if autodesk had any part of organizing the regional animation award or if it was just 100% FIRST.

Ryan Dognaux
12-13-2002, 04:33 PM
Our team may be going to Chicago and that'd be cool if we could get some kind of Animation Regional Award set up there. Did Chairmans Award start out like this too? I mean, only given at Nats, then spread to Regionals?:confused: Anyways, that would be a good idea for Regional Animation awards.

Tyler Olds
12-15-2002, 10:52 PM
I am going to the Chicago regional too.

I would be interested in coordinating an animations submission award with you if you are interested (or anybody else that is interested). Though these would prob not be official we could just email all the teams to let them know about it. A trophy would be cool.

Also would we would need to figure out how we would rate these, either by people who see them or what ever we really come up with.

here is my suggestion. We either show them on the big screen in the competition area and tell people to drop off which one was there favorite in a box, or we could show it in a room.

Either way we would need to clear this with the people running the Chicago regional and see what their thoughts are on this. If people are interested I will email them and see what they think.

So I will be emailing all the teams that I can and get their input first.

Let me know what you think, help is welcomed

Tyler

Soukup
12-16-2002, 06:40 AM
sounds good.

my team which consists of three people that reguarly respond in the animation forum will help as well. But what I don't know is if we need to call first up and ask them.

Based on what I heard from ypsilanti they had a seperate area near the pits that that they viewed it and everyone voted on their favorite one. I would suspect that with 40+ teams at chicago and proably have those teams will turn in their animations it would take what....20 minutes or so. But how is it graded. 1 member from each team, or the whole animation team.

drop me an email with any addition suggestion you have but hey...it's good to know that we may be able to get something to work here....

also anyone going to west michigan regional? It'd be easier to set one up there.

Ken Leung
12-16-2002, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by TEAM_74
It's obvious that there is a national award and I didn't need clarification about that. but does anyone who was at the west coast regionals know if autodesk had any part of organizing the regional animation award or if it was just 100% FIRST.

There WAS a regional animation award at the california regional... I know the teams who participated in it at the Silicon Valley Regional competition. There was one at southern california regional too.

It had nothing to do with autodesk I believe, and was a idea tested by the west coast regional director. A rather successful one too, one of many.

Tyler Olds
12-16-2002, 03:33 PM
sounds good.

my team which consists of three people that reguarly respond in the animation forum will help as well. But what I don't know is if we need to call first up and ask them.

Based on what I heard from ypsilanti they had a seperate area near the pits that that they viewed it and everyone voted on their favorite one. I would suspect that with 40+ teams at chicago and proably have those teams will turn in their animations it would take what....20 minutes or so. But how is it graded. 1 member from each team, or the whole animation team.

drop me an email with any addition suggestion you have but hey...it's good to know that we may be able to get something to work here....

also anyone going to west michigan regional? It'd be easier to set one up there.

I will be emailing all the teams shortley to see who has interest, then I will be emailing FIRST to see what happens. (weather we want to make this a offical thing or non it doesnt matter we still shoudl clarify with first about it).

If this goes through I will email all the teams forming a small committee to come up with the rules for the submission.

Comments please.........

Tyler

Soukup
12-17-2002, 06:28 AM
Our team will definently help, but do you want us to type up the letter to first or you? Anyways in the letter make sure you include something about how FIRST isn't all about robots and expanding to an animtion award is a good idea. My only concern is that at chicago I don't remember there being a 'room' in which this could happen at. But emailing all the teams will be a good idea and if ya need help let us know.

Also are you going to west michigan? That's about 40 miles from our hometown and there would be much more space and resources to run an animtion award

Koko Ed
12-17-2002, 10:04 AM
The Buckeye regional happens in early march. If my memroy serves me correctly the animation wasn't even due to be turned in until the end of that weekend therefore it's not possible to have a regional animation award in Cleveland.

Soukup
12-18-2002, 06:21 AM
true, but that could add an extra twist to it. teams that get done early would be at an advantage.

Is anyone besides our team and team 93 interested in a regional animation award at chicago or the west michigan regionals?

Andy Baker
12-18-2002, 07:10 AM
Team 45 is interested in participating in the Regional Animation Award at the Midwest Regional.

Andy B.

Jeff Waegelin
12-18-2002, 08:18 AM
Team 201 would be interested in doing it at Midwest.

Ryan Dognaux
12-20-2002, 01:47 PM
234 would also be interested.

Tyler Olds
12-21-2002, 01:19 AM
Our team will definently help, but do you want us to type up the letter to first or you? Anyways in the letter make sure you include something about how FIRST isn't all about robots and expanding to an animtion award is a good idea. My only concern is that at chicago I don't remember there being a 'room' in which this could happen at. But emailing all the teams will be a good idea and if ya need help let us know.

Also are you going to west michigan? That's about 40 miles from our hometown and there would be much more space and resources to run an animtion award
no sorry, we were going to but then changed our mind.

Ryan Dognaux
12-23-2002, 09:36 PM
234 will also most likely be attending the Virginia regional. Would anyone want to do this there also?

Tyler Olds
12-24-2002, 02:35 AM
though I am not going, I would be more than happy to help other teams that need help setting up an award.

I would have no problem emailing other teams and getting it going for you.

Ryan Dognaux
12-24-2002, 02:54 PM
So, is a regional award likely to be given at Chicago?

Tyler Olds
12-25-2002, 11:36 AM
yes there mostlikely will be, your team should be getting an email shortly from me asking if your team aproves of one or not.

Good luck guys,
Tyler

P.S. if anybody else wants help getting an animations award at their regional let me know

Soukup
12-25-2002, 08:20 PM
hey butcher93

i know that my team won't recievce the email but we will auotmatically do it. Did you contact First to get them to help you or are you doing this all on your own. If you need any help....please let any member of our team know. We may be able to help with projectors, emails, whatever but let us know if you need any help.

Also could you tell me how you got it done, so that I can do the same thing at west michigan?

thanks man

Ryan Dognaux
12-25-2002, 10:09 PM
If for some reason you have trouble reaching our team try www.cyberblue234.com. We also have a forum, so any info/whatever could be posted in the "animation" section.

Awaiting Kickoff...-

Tyler Olds
12-26-2002, 02:22 AM
hey butcher93

i know that my team won't recievce the email but we will auotmatically do it. Did you contact First to get them to help you or are you doing this all on your own. If you need any help....please let any member of our team know. We may be able to help with projectors, emails, whatever but let us know if you need any help.

Also could you tell me how you got it done, so that I can do the same thing at west michigan?

thanks man

Ok ill count you in,

I believe the first objective will be to get team support, after that I will address FIRST telling them that the teams are interested (if they are). I will see what they have to say, maybe we can get an official award. If they give a no on an official award but do not care if I do it on my own, I will contact the Midwest regional people and see if we cna get a room for this, I mean even if it is in the stairways leading outside I dont care, I just want to get it going.
My unltimate goal would be to have the submissions shown durring the competition like how they do it at nationals. However I feel we will have to start small and build it up as future generations will most likely be the ones who benifit from this.

When I get this done I will send your my procedures of getting one set up.

Tyler

Tyler Olds
12-26-2002, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Koko Ed
The Buckeye regional happens in early march. If my memroy serves me correctly the animation wasn't even due to be turned in until the end of that weekend therefore it's not possible to have a regional animation award in Cleveland.

This is a very good question that was discussed a lot last year between me and sunny as I recall.

My best answer to that would be bring what you have..... judge it that way.

Bduggan04
12-26-2002, 08:29 AM
Last year at the Great Lakes Regional, there was an animation showcase, but participation wasn't very good. I'm pretty sure it was setup by Mike Churchill. Contacting him or another autodesk person asociated with FIRST such as Ted Boardman may be a step in the right direction as Ted Boardman is involved with the animation judging for nationals.

Chris Nowak
12-26-2002, 10:26 AM
yeah, I dont remember if that showcase(at great lakes) was announced at all last year, but I was only there for I day of the competition. We would need to actually get the attention of teams as I'm sure that many teams would love to show off their animation and many of them probably bring it with them for that purpose. So, all we really need to do is get someone to announce it and get a projector, a laptop and some space. Contacting teams ahead of time is also good, but if you only can get in touch with like 10 or so teams then we should be good if we can get someone to announce it repeatedly.

Tyler Olds
12-26-2002, 06:39 PM
I like that idea Bduggan04. I was thinking the same thing about contacting Ted Boardman, he does a lot for first including the tutorials.

Again good ideas Chris, but I believe we are ahead of ourselves.

I contacted the main info from first and all they gave me is an auto reply, so I will be trying some other email addresses.

I will also put a post up in the regional section askign for emails. Please put yours there.

Tyler Olds

Ryan Dognaux
01-04-2003, 12:01 PM
Well, it's a done deal now!! In the Awards Manual, 6.1 states -

"In 2003, Autodesk is pleased to announce that the AVA will be judged at both
the Regional and Championship levels. To accomplish this, Autodesk has grouped the FIRST
Robotics Competition Regionals into five “Autodesk Award Conference” areas that are listed
below. All award-winning AVA’s at the regional level will advance to compete at the
Championship."

:D :D Thanks to all who influenced FIRST to do this, it's really given me a goal to work towards now! :)

Koko Ed
01-05-2003, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by AnimeRaul234
Well, it's a done deal now!! In the Awards Manual, 6.1 states -

"In 2003, Autodesk is pleased to announce that the AVA will be judged at both
the Regional and Championship levels. To accomplish this, Autodesk has grouped the FIRST
Robotics Competition Regionals into five “Autodesk Award Conference” areas that are listed
below. All award-winning AVA’s at the regional level will advance to compete at the
Championship."

:D :D Thanks to all who influenced FIRST to do this, it's really given me a goal to work towards now! :)

I like this.
Two weks less work time is a bit difficult but it also will force us to be more efficent in using our time working so that's actually a good thing (I also love the creation of a Website award though I have a sneaking suspicion who will win...:rolleyes: ).
Now maybe animation will get a little more respect in the competion as something other than filler during downtime in the competition.

Tyler Olds
01-11-2003, 11:55 AM
I agree,
By having the awards, the people who bust thier behind just as much if not more than other people on their team will fineally be reconized. Though the 2 weeks off sucks, I think this is a huge step for not only animations, but FIRST

Chris Nowak
01-12-2003, 01:22 PM
actually, its a little under 4 weeks off if i remember correctly

Soukup
01-13-2003, 06:27 AM
another question I have, is that in the past autodesk judged strickly on content. Which is why some of us wondered why certain animations won last year. In my personal opinion the cybersonics and the metal jackets got snuffed out. Now there could have been some disqualifaication issues that I didn't know about, but both of those animtoins were amazing.

This brings to the judging at the regional level. If everybody judges the way that I would have judged last year then possibly the ones with content and creativity will get pushed aside for the really awesome ones.

I don;t know if this makes any sense to anyone else but your thoughts on the matter please.

Koko Ed
01-13-2003, 06:35 AM
another question I have, is that in the past autodesk judged strickly on content. Which is why some of us wondered why certain animations won last year. In my personal opinion the cybersonics and the metal jackets got snuffed out. Now there could have been some disqualifaication issues that I didn't know about, but both of those animtoins were amazing.

This brings to the judging at the regional level. If everybody judges the way that I would have judged last year then possibly the ones with content and creativity will get pushed aside for the really awesome ones.

I don;t know if this makes any sense to anyone else but your thoughts on the matter please.
It sounds like FIRST will be changing the Animation competition from the Oscars to the Peoples Chioce Awards.

Soukup
01-13-2003, 06:37 AM
he he he he that's funny

Koko Ed
01-13-2003, 07:17 AM
he he he he that's funny

It would be more funny if it didn't suddenly sound like FIRST had trivialized our already ignored part of the competition. Dag gone it! And I thought things were looking up for the animation competition!:(

Soukup
01-14-2003, 06:56 AM
nother thought i had...maybe autodesk is getting lazy. It doesn't seem like they will be judging all of the animtions...just the ones that get sent from the regionals...so that basically means that we've cut their work in about 1/4. It will also make it easier for them to sort through all the good animations that have on on and to not have to waste time on uncompleted or terrible ones.