PDA

View Full Version : Q&A Discuss: parts as dead weight?

CD47-Bot
12-13-2002, 09:08 PM
Thread created automatically to discuss a question in the Q&A Forum.

parts as dead weight? (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15464)

Greg Ross
12-13-2002, 09:20 PM
I was sitting by my computer at work when the e-mail notification came through that you had posted a question.

I could have given an answer similar to ChrisH's, since I was thinking about the times when we have added sheet lead as ballast. But I hadn't personally researched the rules, so I decided to keep with the spirit of this forum, and forego giving a half baked response -- giving someone else a chance to give a more authoritative answer.

Ken Leung
12-14-2002, 09:19 PM
I think as time goes on, more and more of us will get practice in providing solid answers in the question forum. It wasn't easy when I first joined part of the FRC engineers as a volunteer helping with answering some of the questions on the Yahoo board. It took a lot of reading other people's answers, and looking through the rule book.

But in the end, I got enough practice, and was really glad I went through all that to be better at it. It was a very valuable experience, and I learned a lot more about how the rules and what FIRST thinks behind the big thick manuel. That's one of the reasons why I suggested starting a question forum... So more people can experience the same thing, and at the same time be more helpful to other FIRSTers.

caffel
01-24-2003, 11:30 AM
In the past, there have been rules against using motors and compressors unless they were attached to some sort of output (regardless of how functional).
I take this to be the spirit of the rules in general.
Raw material is easier to use for weight anyway.