PDA

View Full Version : Bugs, new features: help!

rbayer
12-18-2002, 08:12 PM
Well, I just finished all my finals and have nothing to do until Jan 4. Therefore, I've decided to spend some time fixing up ALL of my programs (RoboEmu, RoboGUI, RoboCon, RoboIDE, gDash) with bug fixes and improvements.

However, I need your help (yes, you!). Here are the current bug lists and proposed features for these programs:

Bugs:

RoboEmu:

Illegal Instruction while quitting under XP
Doesn't recognize labels with a ":"
Can't have variables with NOT in their name
Won't recognize BRANCH without a space before [
Random errors under XP
Doesn't automatically add the correct extension when saving Projects
Linux version complains about min/max during compile on many systems
Doesn't report when it's out of commands (hangs)

RoboGUI:

Outputs two $STAMP directives
Bad line breaks
File handle stays open too long
Pump code doesn't put a ":" after label
Doesn't check 26-variable limit

RoboIDE:
Hangs after choosing Run on some systems

RoboCon:
Doesn't properly re-sync after loss of signal

Proposed Features:

RoboEmu:

Support for EduBot code
Reset for joysticks
Renamable Joysticks
Ability to move controls around the screen

RoboGUI:
none

RoboIDE:

Find/replace
Copy/paste
Save As...
Keyboard shortcuts

RoboCon:
none

All:
Documentation!

Anybody have anything else? Any bugs I missed? Any other features you'd like to see? Other programs you'd find usefull?

--Rob

dlavery
12-19-2002, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by rbayer
Anybody have anything else? Any bugs I missed? Any other features you'd like to see? Other programs you'd find usefull?

How about a version that runs on a Mac under OS X? :) :) (and can download code to the RC!)

-dave

----------------------------

Y = AX^2 + BX + C

rbayer
12-19-2002, 11:08 AM
At the risk of making promises I can't keep, I'll work on it. Most of my code, especially RoboIDE, is fairly portable assuming I can find the gnome libraries for Mac OSX so the only real changes should be to the dynamic library code, but even that is just a few lines.

Anything else?

Matt Krass
12-19-2002, 03:44 PM
Careful, you said it was easy, now it will most likely be very difficult.

Joe Ross
12-19-2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by rbayer
At the risk of making promises I can't keep, I'll work on it. Most of my code, especially RoboIDE, is fairly portable assuming I can find the gnome libraries for Mac OSX so the only real changes should be to the dynamic library code, but even that is just a few lines.

Wouldn't it be a whole lot easier if Dave provided you with a mac with OSX? :p

As far as libraries go, check out http://fink.sf.net

I've done hardly more then compile RoboIDE. Rather then spending a lot of time writing your own editor, wouldn't it be easier to "plugin" an existing editor, such as vim or emacs (or even gedit)

rbayer
12-19-2002, 07:05 PM
omg. That is amazing. I found the gnome libraries on that fink site, and I just found an iMac of the dead-sexy LCD/OSX variety, and now all I need is a comiler, so I'm off to find gcc... Given the RoboIDE contains zero code specific to Linux with the exception of dynamic libraries, life should be very easy now.

Anybody happen to know how macs name serial ports or how to load dynamic link libraries? Or at least a good place to look?

--Rob

Joe Ross
12-19-2002, 07:33 PM
OS X comes with GCC (3.1 in Jaguar, I believe). It may not be installed by default, though.

http://developer.apple.com/tools/macosxtools.html

rbayer
12-20-2002, 12:17 PM
Well, I've hit a bit of a snag. It turns out the iMac I'm using only has OSX 10.1.2 and pretty much everything requires 10.2 (Jaguar). I ordered the upgrade from Apple, but it may not get here for awhile.

Anyway, anybody else have any other bugs, features, or programs they'd like? If not, I'll start fixing stuff this weekend and hopefully have releases ready by early next week.

--Rob

rbayer
12-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Last call for suggestions! I just finished the changes to RoboGUI and am very close to having RoboEmu fixed up. If there are ANY other suggestions or bug reports, now is the time as I won't be revisiting these programs any time soon unless the new control system breaks them; there just isn't time during the build season to invest in programming anything other than PBASIC.

Again, if there is anything, no matter how outrageous or stupid it sounds, that you would like to see, let me know. I try to write these programs so they are as useful as possible, but I need help in figuring out what people actually want/need.