PDA

View Full Version : Game hint?!?!


Andy Grady
12-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Here is something that'll get your noodle baking....
Top secret operatives stationed in Manchester have noticed a large frequency of Poof Products Inc. trucks, in and around the vicinity of FIRST headquarters. On these trucks, pictures of Slinky's! Hmmm...let me think here, slinkys can be colorful (colored red and blue maybe), all different sizes (including giant ones!), and very odd shaped, making for very interesting pick up and delievery methods. Hmmmm

Happy Holidays,
-Andy Grady

Madison
12-19-2002, 01:31 PM
They make quite a bit more than slinky products, including foam balls.

http://www.poof-toys.com/toys/

Jim Meyer
12-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Excellent Rumor!

I'm ready for foam balls... maybe even footballs?

Jay5780
12-19-2002, 03:25 PM
If there is any truth to the rumor I wouldn't be surprised to see the soccer balls. They hold a consistent shape since they aren't air filled and come in different colors. Also they are still rigid enough to be handled by the bots, but watch out they probably can be damaged much more easily. I don't think that they would use the 4 and 7 inch foam balls as they are very soft, but maybe they will use both large and minis what ever type of ball they use.

Both of these wont be able to be picked up via suction due to being made of foam.

I'm still holding out for footballs (there made the same as the soccer and volleyballs). We've been talking about footballs in here for years now. Come on Deano

D.J. Fluck
12-19-2002, 03:56 PM
Heh, if it is footballs, I guess we better go get the quarterback and recruit him as the human player ;)

I still think that it is going to be foam soccer balls.

SlamminSammy
12-19-2002, 04:36 PM
Maybe the robot (or the human player :() has to untangle horribly mangled Slinkys.

If they are using soccer balls or footballs, at least foam doesn't hurt too much....

team222badbrad
12-19-2002, 04:46 PM
I dont know if this is true or not? If this is do you have any evidence pics? I would probably believe this if this guy was from Manchester, but his profile doesnt say. Although those 7 inch foam balls make sense, afterall they are making the robot size restrictions smaller this year;)

AJ Quick
12-19-2002, 05:03 PM
I think we just need to made something that allows a slinky to continually move. Like an escalator... ;)

Clark Gilbert
12-19-2002, 05:12 PM
Very interesting, but hard to believe...

I remember looking at this website back in September/October. It seems like their products fit the description, especially with the lower prices, colors, and overall "plainness" of the products.

I guess we will have to wait and see, just over 2 weeks remaining.

Ken Leung
12-19-2002, 05:29 PM
That's Andy Grady, the one who started question of the week years ago! What ever he say, it must be true! ;) Plus, I do believe he would have secret operatives stationed in Manchester... I can almost guess who they are :P.

I hope its going to be giant slinky's! A nice break from all those balls in 00', 01' and 02'. It will level the playing field a little bit. Plus its going to be fun to play with.

Or, it could be the dabblin dough... now that got to be a mess if they use dabblin dough as scoring object...

Clark Gilbert
12-19-2002, 06:06 PM
I thought the named looked familiar....

Think about this....

What do u think of when u think of slinky's?

Stairs

Hmmm....Slinky's go down stairs, robots could go up and down...


ps... I also heard the rumor that this (these?) field component(s?) are expensive to build and teams are going to need to really dip into their budgets if they want to build this stuff. Man... I wish that FIRST would put out a BOM. -Andy Baker

Complex stairs? Stairs that move? ? ? ? ? ? ?



:)

Madison
12-19-2002, 06:57 PM
They couldn't possibly expect us to build robots that make slinkys go all the way down a flight of stairs. . .

that's just. . .it's. . .

unpossible.

Cory
12-19-2002, 07:12 PM
when FIRST issued their press release about Nats, it said something like "You will be competing in the Super-Bowl of brains in the NFL's newest stadium..." Does anyone see this as a hint that the game will involve footballs? Just thought this might be interesting

Don Knight
12-19-2002, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by team222badbrad
afterall they are making the robot size restrictions smaller this year;)
Do you know something? or are you spreading rumors too?:confused:

Madison
12-19-2002, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Don Knight
Do you know something? or are you spreading rumors too?:confused:

The crate specifications for this season are the same as they were for last season.

team222badbrad
12-19-2002, 07:51 PM
How do you know that the crate is the same size?? Just so you know it cannot be any bigger than the original size or they wouldnt be able to ship it;) ;) (trucks and airplanes have size limits)

Katie Reynolds
12-19-2002, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Andy Grady
... Top secret operatives stationed in Manchester have noticed a large frequency of Poof Products Inc. trucks, in and around the vicinity of FIRST headquarters ...
There were also trucks with pictures of paintballing equipment spotted at Epcot last year (in the area where they built the National's stadium)-- Did you see any paintballing at the team party? ;)

I remember Dean last year (either at Nationals or at the Kick-off) saying something about how FIRST is, in fact, kind of like sports - but sports for the mind. Then something was said about FIRST being the 'Superbowl of science' at Nationals last year. And now Nationals is being held at Reliant Stadium ... Interesting ... :)

- Katie

Madison
12-19-2002, 09:57 PM
http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2003/kickoffpreview.htm

Enjoy.

(FYI - the crate size limitations are listed in the recently released Administrative section of the 2003 manual.)

Jay5780
12-19-2002, 11:08 PM
Some interesting points from the link in the above post...

"The grand finale comes when this season's challenge is revealed, along with several new elements of the game. "We've probably made more changes in one year than ever before, and we think the combination of changes are going to make this a benchmark season,".

cryptic clue... "y = ax(2) + bx + c," he said solemnly, before adding with a chuckle, "Just don't ask me about the rumors about the gerbils and the thousand pounds of Jello."

The answer is Wait till 01/04/03

SlamminSammy
12-20-2002, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Jay5780
cryptic clue... "y = ax(2) + bx + c,"

Quadratics could mean projectile motion. Combined with foam balls and optical sensors, we may see robots playing football, or at least some fun programming :)....

Steve Shade
12-20-2002, 12:50 AM
I wonder if anyone else has thought about imaginary numbers.......

Let's see the scoring goes something like the winner gets the number of points obtained by solving the quadratic equation where A, B and C are from the raw game score....... now that could mean we score Imaginary Points! I would have a whole new use for the Root-Locus Plot! I have no idea why I'm excited about that possibility and so what I've been studying a little too much for my last 2 finals (Control Theory and EM Wave Propagation). Hey, this is when I get my best (and usually more insane) ideas.

Steve

Suneet
12-20-2002, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by SlamminSammy
Quadratics could mean projectile motion. Combined with foam balls and optical sensors, we may see robots playing football, or at least some fun programming :)....

Uh huh. Projectile motion seems like a reasonable possibility... Mabey high hoops surrounded by retroreflective tape that we can only shoot balls through :eek:

That, or a parabolic field/component...

Moshingkow
12-20-2002, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Steve Shade
I wonder if anyone else has thought about imaginary numbers.......

Let's see the scoring goes something like the winner gets the number of points obtained by solving the quadratic equation where A, B and C are from the raw game score....... now that could mean we score Imaginary Points! I would have a whole new use for the Root-Locus Plot! I have no idea why I'm excited about that possibility and so what I've been studying a little too much for my last 2 finals (Control Theory and EM Wave Propagation). Hey, this is when I get my best (and usually more insane) ideas.

Steve

the only way your gonna get imaginary numbers would be if you make the x axis the ground, and go one floor below, shoot it towards the ceiling, and not hit it, or elevate yourself to a high point, reverse gravity, then shoot it at the ground, and still not hit it.

remember- roots are the x intercepts...

Ken Leung
12-20-2002, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Steve Shade
I wonder if anyone else has thought about imaginary numbers.......

Let's see the scoring goes something like the winner gets the number of points obtained by solving the quadratic equation where A, B and C are from the raw game score....... now that could mean we score Imaginary Points! I would have a whole new use for the Root-Locus Plot! I have no idea why I'm excited about that possibility and so what I've been studying a little too much for my last 2 finals (Control Theory and EM Wave Propagation). Hey, this is when I get my best (and usually more insane) ideas.

Steve

For years Dean and Woodie made the scoring really complicated with multipliers and time factor... But last year was much simplier than before... Maybe they couldn't resist the urge, and do something like this and make this year's scoring really complicated.

This would force all the students to do algebra every single match. I like it :).

Ken Leung
12-20-2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Katie Reynolds
There were also trucks with pictures of paintballing equipment spotted at Epcot last year (in the area where they built the National's stadium)-- Did you see any paintballing at the team party? ;)

I remember Dean last year (either at Nationals or at the Kick-off) saying something about how FIRST is, in fact, kind of like sports - but sports for the mind. Then something was said about FIRST being the 'Superbowl of science' at Nationals last year. And now Nationals is being held at Reliant Stadium ... Interesting ... :)

- Katie

Remember, this is FIRST's headquarter, not Epcot. At Epcot, there could be lots of reasons a truck for paintball equipment would show up for... If itís at FIRST place, there is a big chance the equipment is for the competition...

It could be used for some demonstration inside FIRST place, but what else beside a robotics competition for 600 teams need a TRUCK load of toys? Too bad Poof Products Inc. have too big of a variety of products...

My top guess is football... Then second guess is slinky's.

RebAl
12-20-2002, 08:34 AM
If you take a slinkey and hold it in two hands it makes a parabola, just a thought

Katie Reynolds
12-20-2002, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Ken L
Remember, this is FIRST's headquarter, not Epcot. At Epcot, there could be lots of reasons a truck for paintball equipment would show up for... If itís at FIRST place, there is a big chance the equipment is for the competition...
I know, I know. I was just sayin' :)

- Katie

Nate Smith
12-20-2002, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Ken L
For years Dean and Woodie made the scoring really complicated with multipliers and time factor... But last year was much simplier than before... Maybe they couldn't resist the urge, and do something like this and make this year's scoring really complicated.

This would force all the students to do algebra every single match. I like it :).

From Team Forum Notes
(http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2002/2002TeamForumnotes.pdf)

2003 game will be challenging, designed to be conducive for television, easier and less controversial scoring


I think this counts out pretty much any complex scoring formula...I'd say some form of projectile motion on the part of the scoring items(balls, cubes, etc) is the best bet...

Sean Conway
12-20-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Ken L
My top guess is football... Then second guess is slinky's.

I think Slinky's (Slinkies?!?) are too fragile. Plastic ones will break too easily and metal ones warp. FIRST would spend a fortune on supplies of them.

Round foam balls are my first guess, then footballs. I'm hoping for footballs.

AJ Quick
12-20-2002, 09:39 AM
Watch the power up video, there are poof footballs used in that. Maybe the contest is similar, we need to get a football from up high, and collect balls... they said the game would be different... maybe we are playing with EDUrobots, and that is why they want us to be so familar with them... ;)

T967
12-20-2002, 09:49 AM
Every year ther is some kind of time limit. Non-stop always going. Football on the other hand is different. The clock stops and you can call time outs. Smaller robots would be cool since you could fit more on on field. Plus First has really limited the max robots to 4. Oh and the little hint did mention groans, suprises, and a revamping of the entire game concept.

Football sounds good to me. Really good:D :D :D :D :D


"Life is what happens when your making other plans"
-John Lennon

Dave...
12-20-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by RebAl
If you take a slinkey and hold it in two hands it makes a parabola, just a thought

Actually, a slinky (or rope or chain) held freely will appear to take the shape of a parabola, but it is really a catenary which comes from the hyperbolic cosine function: f(x) = a cosh(x/a).

The St. Louis Arch is an example of an "upside down" catenary.

You gotta love math...

D.J. Fluck
12-20-2002, 01:13 PM
Anyone remember that demo they showed during the kickoff last year (2002), where they had the two first guys take that parabola shaped launcher, tip it to the side and roll balls up it and launch them at the goal with fairly good accuracy??

Could that have been some kind of hint or something?

Greg Ross
12-20-2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by Dave...
Actually, a slinky (or rope or chain) held freely will appear to take the shape of a parabola, but it is really a catenary
Darn. You beat me to it!:mad: ;)

Soukup
12-20-2002, 02:32 PM
anyone thought that maybe since we're moving to a football stadium for nationals might mean that football could have some connection to this year's game....just a thought

Gamer930
12-20-2002, 02:43 PM
I think footballs also.
The 8 1/2" Power Spiral Football that is on Http://www.pooftoys.com/ are very durable. They actually have some low plastic coating on them that stops them from coming apart. (doesn't it bring back the little kid days).
Those slinkys would break/snap way to easy and would cost first way to much to repace 1-2 every match

Next think we should think about is surface?? Grass????? Artificial Turf???

Greg Ross
12-20-2002, 03:05 PM
Poof Aqua Bomb (http://www.pooftoys.com/toys/catalog/cat3/catalog.asp?prodid=77&catid=40&start=1&action=prov&)

Greg Ross
12-20-2002, 03:09 PM
Poof Quarterback Challenge (http://www.pooftoys.com/toys/catalog/cat3/catalog.asp?prodid=274&catid=74&start=1&action=prov&)

rbayer
12-20-2002, 03:32 PM
It's a minor point, but the doc does say that there will be human players again this year (or at least there are operator badges for them!). From this, I'd guess that once again we're going to be throwing something into goals, etc. And AJ made a very interesting point: there are definately little footballs in the power-up video.

Madison
12-20-2002, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by rbayer
It's a minor point, but the doc does say that there will be human players again this year (or at least there are operator badges for them!). From this, I'd guess that once again we're going to be throwing something into goals, etc. And AJ made a very interesting point: there are definately little footballs in the power-up video.

Keep in mind that the Power Up video is comprised of footage taken during the 2002 Kickoff and its Rookie workshops.

In that workshop, rookie teams used the EduRobot kits to simulate the build cycle, ending in a miniature combination.

So, just keep that in mind. . . footballs may have been on FIRST's mind for awhile, but they didn't have the game planned in January of last year :)

team222badbrad
12-20-2002, 04:29 PM
It makes sense my friends! Small foam balls or footballs and the cryptic clue... "y = ax(2) + bx + c," for projectile motion.

We will use the foam balls as the projectiles and use the formula to calculate how to throw these balls. Plus these balls are kinda small and are soft in case someone gets hit. Just maybe the field will have clear side walls like Battle Bots.


The grand finale comes when this season's challenge is revealed, along with several new elements of the game. "We've probably made more changes in one year than ever before, and we think the combination of changes are going to make this a benchmark season," said Flowers. I want to know just how much they changed...

Badbrad

Rob Colatutto
12-20-2002, 04:44 PM
footballs maybe for the human player, but it highly doubt for the robots to handle, they aren't a very nice shape, too wide one way and skinny the other way

Madison
12-20-2002, 04:55 PM
When were these trucks spotted?


Please note the deadline for making your Kit Pick Up/Delivery and Kickoff Attendance selections was Friday, December 13th, 2002. We apologize but we are no longer able to make any changes to your selections as the kits are now packed and on pallets. Any changes from this point forward would require us to break open sealed pallets.

Thank you for your understanding.


...from FIRST's e-mail blast...

So, if these trucks were only spotted this week, there stands a chance that the trucks have nothing nothing to do with this year's game.

Instead, maybe they were dropping off supplies for the Rookie Workshops?

Adam Y.
12-20-2002, 05:28 PM
Umm I don't believe the equation on the first site is quadratic even though it looks like it unless its a typo. You use ^ symbol to show that something is being raised to a power not parenthesis. Parenthesis just mean in math that you multiply ax and two together. Of course It could be a typo or a trick.

rees2001
12-20-2002, 06:23 PM
aaarrrgg... I should just use my time machine & go ahead 15 days & see what the competition is. Blast that gracious professionalism it keeps my ethics in place & keeps me right here in old 2002.

mtaman02
12-20-2002, 07:48 PM
Guys just to let yall no FIRST has been posted things about next years game, FED-EX Shipping, Drayage Information and just recently posted a 2003 Game Hint Link on thir website



www.usfirst.org

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2003/docs.htm - Fed-Ex and Drayage Info other infor about the game included also

http://www.usfirst.org/robotics/2003/kickoffpreview.htm - 2003 Game Hint

sanddrag
12-20-2002, 08:29 PM
The cross section of a football looks like two parabolas put together. I know parabolas are truly never ending but it seems a perfect match nonetheless.

Gadget470
12-20-2002, 08:32 PM
They 'game hint' of y = ax(2) + bx + c has been referred to many times throughout this thread.

The only real hint is that there will be alliances or at least a form of partnership."As usual it will be very important that teams work effectively together" (Flowers)

Joe Matt
12-21-2002, 11:50 AM
Who else will think this years game might be like the TV show "The Mole"? I can see a game where all the bots compete to complete one goal. There is one universal goal that'll give everyone those points. But each team will have their own goal to put things into if they get greedy or are a mole. That'll multiply the points by 1.5 for them.

Gadget470
12-21-2002, 12:06 PM
Such as the balancing bridge.. where all teams worked together to complete one goal... and certain teams would grab their own big ball in effort to gain more points for themselves.

It's all been done (Woo ooo Oooo)

Joe Matt
12-21-2002, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Gadget470
Such as the balancing bridge.. where all teams worked together to complete one goal... and certain teams would grab their own big ball in effort to gain more points for themselves.

It's all been done (Woo ooo Oooo)

Good song, but are you trying to say something? :mad: :p j/k (remember Spark 2.0)

Mike Schroeder
12-21-2002, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by M. Krass
They couldn't possibly expect us to build robots that make slinkys go all the way down a flight of stairs. . .

that's just. . .it's. . .

unpossible.

Hey M, watch the second Ace Ventura Movie - It is Very Possible

Gadget470
12-22-2002, 01:25 AM
Remember Spark 2.0

No.....



And mike: You should watch it again, it didn't go all the way, it's impossible.

Elgin Clock
12-22-2002, 11:07 PM
The Poof Trucks - I think we will use some type of Poof Product, and going with the whole "Superbowl of Science" quote and the fact that we are holding the Nats. at the site of the 2004 Superbowl, I'm guessing Footballs (See below as well for more reasoning).

( y = ax(2) + bx + c ) - WARNING this explanation is long-winded!! LOL
Anyways, I think this has little to nothing to do with the actual motion of the playing objects, since a parabola is not defined by the law of "what goes up, must come down" rather "what goes down must come up" and we already have the parabolic "bowl" shape in the Astrodome. - I actually believe that since the equation is a Quadratic equation that is a fundamental in Trigonometry we should explore further the shape of the playing field here, and I am torn between a square or a triangle.
Two reasons, 1-The word Quadratic is derived from the Latin word "quadrare" which means "to make square". Because the area of a square that measures x units on each side is x^2, we refer to equations that can be written in the form of "ax(2) + bx + c = 0 as equation that are quadratic in x.
Reason 2. Since the Quadratic equation is a fundamental equation in the field of Trigonometry, and Trigonometry is defined as: The branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and the angles of triangles and the calculations based on them, particularly the trigonometric functions.
So again, I think either a square or a triangle shaped playing field.
Also, since the Quadratic angle equation is dealing with the conical shape, Footballs!! :D

AdamT
12-22-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Elgin Clock
...we already have the parabolic "bowl" shape in the Astrodome.

You said it yourself....a bowl....

Even noticed how a parabola projected and rotated into a 3D shape is a bowl? Why not have another blancing device on a bowl, or bowls are the goals???

dez250
12-22-2002, 11:39 PM
Think aboput it the only reasonable answer for the poof balls is that Dean wants to spend more of his money on toys and then you know hes gunna have a new years party, so come on hes gunna invite his friend(s) and peg them with soft foam balls... j/k!

Ok on to a seriousier note, we are all wanting to know why woody put out that statement on friday, i think for some reason that he said all that to get us all wild up for the kick off and then the game is going to be checkers with robots or something and the quadratic equation will have nothing to do with it, or i could just be sparadically typing now at close to midnight while im drinking coffee...

ChrisH
12-23-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by dez250
Ok on to a seriousier note, we are all wanting to know why woody put out that statement on friday, i think for some reason that he said all that to get us all wild up for the kick off and then the game is going to be checkers with robots or something and the quadratic equation will have nothing to do with it, or i could just be sparadically typing now at close to midnight while im drinking coffee...

In marketing it's called "creating a buzz" and FIRST has historically been very good at doing that, at least among the frenzied few true belivers. Most of whom frequent this site.

So that MIGHT be exactly what they are doing. The Quadratic Equation is just so darn useful, it could be applied to just about anything. Hence my reluctance to plunge single handedly into building a targeting system for the EDUbot in the next two weeks.

AdamT
12-23-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by ChrisH
In marketing it's called "creating a buzz" and FIRST has historically been very good at doing that, at least among the frenzied few true belivers. Most of whom frequent this site.

So that MIGHT be exactly what they are doing. The Quadratic Equation is just so darn useful, it could be applied to just about anything. Hence my reluctance to plunge single handedly into building a targeting system for the EDUbot in the next two weeks.

It's still fun to speculate though!

Kevin Watson
12-27-2002, 04:53 PM
I think I've got it! Instead of cartesian-space, the playing field will be in polynomial-space this year.

(The math-geeks among us will find this to be really, really funny :D ).

-Kevin

Suneet
12-27-2002, 06:04 PM
hehe...

I was just thinking how it would be if the playing field terrain was such that you'd have an advantage if you had a rocker-bogie wheel configuration... that would be fun to see, and wild to build. I don't think I've seen a hint at it though, unless one of the groans is that they're getting rid of the carpet...

Eric Reed
12-28-2002, 02:26 PM
Okay, um, I have some information related to Woodie's game hint:

http://www.cardmagnets.com/SNL/034.jpg

Dima
12-29-2002, 08:53 PM
Regarding the Field:

FIRST isn't going to change ANYTHING about the size/dimetions of the field. They are too cheap/ Its too expencive to make new fields

Maybe your robot will have to pass the footballs throught the hoops hense the parabola formula.... just a thought

dlavery
12-30-2002, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by Dima
Regarding the Field:
FIRST isn't going to change ANYTHING about the size/dimetions of the field. They are too cheap/ Its too expencive to make new fields

Heh heh heh. Care to bet on that? :)

Go to Brandon's new Ventures System (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/ventures.php?s=&action=eventdetail&eventid=4), and in a week we will see who is right and how many people from this thread will have to eat their words.

-dave

-----------------------------------

Y = AX^2 + BX + C

Ameya
12-30-2002, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by wysiswyg
Umm I don't believe the equation on the first site is quadratic even though it looks like it unless its a typo. You use ^ symbol to show that something is being raised to a power not parenthesis. Parenthesis just mean in math that you multiply ax and two together. Of course It could be a typo or a trick.

from the article with the hint
"y = ax(2) + bx + c," he said solemnly, before adding with a chuckle, "Just don't ask me about the rumors about the gerbils and the thousand pounds of Jello."

Notice that the ax(2) is in a quote--I'm sure he didn't actually say "a x open-parenthesis 2 close-parenthesis plus...." He probably said "a x squared plus b x...."

The person who transcribed the quote just didn't use "^" to signify the exponent.

***
And, in response to someone or other...the quadratic equation is not a fundamental equation in the field of trigonometry.

Ameya
12-30-2002, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Moshingkow
the only way your gonna get imaginary numbers would be if you make the x axis the ground, and go one floor below, shoot it towards the ceiling, and not hit it, or elevate yourself to a high point, reverse gravity, then shoot it at the ground, and still not hit it.

remember- roots are the x intercepts...

Yeah, the roots are the x-intercepts, but the floor isn't necessarily the x-axis. he was just saying it would be funny if you had subscores A,B,C and your total score was a solution to Ax^2 + Bx + C = 0.

Would be easier to score than the 2001 game, I guess :p

Kevin Watson
12-30-2002, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Ameya
And, in response to someone or other...the quadratic equation is not a fundamental equation in the field of trigonometry.

I've also noticed that folks are assuming that it necessarily describes a parabola (it doesn't have to) :).

-Kevin

Madison
12-30-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Dima
Regarding the Field:

FIRST isn't going to change ANYTHING about the size/dimetions of the field. They are too cheap/ Its too expencive to make new fields

Those fields were nice. They just drop together, almost literally.

Remember, should FIRST decide to use a different shape this season, the doesn't mean they can't use the rectangle again in the future. I think they'd have the foresight to keep them lying around for a few years.

Think about it, even. If they continue changing the shape and building semi-permanent field kits for each shape, after a few years, they'd have have a whole host of ready-to-go field arrangements. Then, you'd never be able to guess which they'll use ;)

Don Knight
12-30-2002, 06:15 PM
No one for sure knows what the field will end up looking like this year except a precious few at FIRST. But being involved in a few of the FIRST follow-ups over the past few years here are my thoughts.

The field will be a rectangle 24' by 48'
Allows for good visibility for teams and spectators

The field will have four team/s locations Allowing for easy load in and out of competing teams and robots.

What will change each year is what and how the team interact with, within that 24' by 48' area.

Maintaining a constant perimeter structure reduces costs for FIRST and those teams building fields. Reducing cost while still providing the opportunity for substantial interior field changes and robot interaction.