PDA

View Full Version : Footballs???

MattK
12-22-2002, 04:40 PM
"y = ax(2) + bx + c," he said solemnly, before adding with a chuckle, "Just don't ask me about the rumors about the gerbils and the thousand pounds of Jello."
Woodies hint for this years game

y = ax(2) + bx + c = parabola = A plane curve formed by the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane parallel to an element of the cone or by the locus of points equidistant from a fixed line and a fixed point not on the line.

Would that be a football or just a U shape, I am horrible @ Math so ummm just let me know.

Suneet
12-22-2002, 05:04 PM
A a parabola just a u-shape. A football is more of an ellipse. An ellipse is um... the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane that's offset by an angle from being parallel with the base of the cone. There could be footballs moving in parabolas...

AJ Quick
12-22-2002, 08:17 PM
It has been discussed to death now, but the major concensus (as I see it anyways) is that the game will involve "poof" footballs being shot/thrown/placed into baskets/goals/holes. This using the formula Y=AX^2 + BX + C to fly into the scoring area.

Stephen Kowski
12-22-2002, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Suneet
There could be footballs moving in parabolas...

Everything you throw is moving in a parabola....think about it....could be a inversed parabola, but still

In response to the first thing, "poof" also make A LOT of other things, soccer balls, foam rockets. I can't wait until my robot picks up and shoots foam airplanes ;)

maDGag
01-09-2003, 10:04 PM
lotsa things looks like footballs ... btw

take sqrt(sinx) [0,pi]

if want a real football looking shape

try

pi * S(sinx)dx |0,pi

:)

WiteoutKing
01-11-2003, 10:09 PM
How does Stack Attack relate to the quadratic formula? I'm not seeing it.:confused:

D.J. Fluck
01-11-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by WiteoutKing
How does Stack Attack relate to the quadratic formula? I'm not seeing it.:confused:

Maybe since the quadratic formula deals with parabolas, and that there are 4 parabolas on the field, learning that can aid with the navigation of the line during autonomous mode :rolleyes:

srjjs
01-11-2003, 11:39 PM
The lines aren't parabolas, they're semicircles, with a radius of 4 feet.

Balbinot
01-12-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Suneet
A a parabola just a u-shape. A football is more of an ellipse. An ellipse is um... the intersection of a right circular cone and a plane that's offset by an angle from being parallel with the base of the cone. There could be footballs moving in parabolas...

Itīs wrong because the U sape has straight lines at the top, and a parabola never becomes straight, because it goes turning, turning, turning into the infinite.

WiteoutKing
01-12-2003, 05:15 PM
Maybe it's meant to be the graph of points scored with a certain number of boxes in the scoring area. Imagine the x axis is the percent of boxes on the carpet versus being in the tallest stack. When the number on the floor and the number in the stack are equal, the total (y axis) is greatest...

rbayer
01-12-2003, 05:18 PM
This issue has come up and been put to rest a week ago. You can use the equation for optimizing score (or at least you used to be able to!):

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15850&highlight=quadratic