PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Snow tommorow in Northern New England

Kyle Fenton
01-03-2003, 10:58 AM
To all people planning to go to the Manchester kick-off tomorrow, the weather forecast predicts 6''-to 18'' of snow in the morning. This will make traveling up to Manchester very difficult.

If you are there, you may be all right, but the highways are probably going to be bad.

http://www.weather.com/weather/detail/03101?dayNum=1

Matt Attallah
01-03-2003, 11:03 AM
:ahh: I want that snow!!! We got some in Michigan, but nothing like that...:(

Jay5780
01-03-2003, 11:17 AM
the snow isn't supposed to start to tonight around 8pm so I would think that most teams would be up there before 8pm and who cares if you get stuck in a room full of FIRST junkies with big boxes of robot parts...

Mike Norton
01-03-2003, 12:00 PM
The snow has been falling since 11:00am today Never believe the weather man.

Once again snow for the kick off.

Jay5780
01-03-2003, 12:04 PM
I meant the heavy stuff, but how was anyone to know that, but me.

It started here around 10am too, but I'm underground till 7pm (or when I go topside) when I go home from work.

Jestin McCarthy
01-03-2003, 12:15 PM
Bring on the snow! I like to have a challenge for the new 4 wheel drive truck.

rbayer
01-03-2003, 12:19 PM
Would you mind sending some of that snow here? We Minnesotans are melting with 0" (yes, zero) of snow. If we don't get some soon, I may go insane. :)

Jay5780
01-03-2003, 12:20 PM
Driving in 4wd + Getting stuck in 4wd = being stuck in 4wd

Ashley Weed
01-03-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Jay5780
Driving in 4wd + Getting stuck in 4wd = being stuck in 4wd

hehe, very true, I just found out the hard way!

We have about 5" already here at the New York state border in northeastern Pennsylvania, and all of the weather people say it is only going to intensify, and it has been snowing since about 8 PM last night.

I will be happy as long as the power stays on, and the NASA truck makes it to Manchester to broadcast.

sanddrag
01-03-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Jestin McCarthy
Bring on the snow! I like to have a challenge for the new 4 wheel drive truck.

Sorry but I just can't help asking what kind of truck is it that you drive? My 4x4 is a 99 Ranger.

Jay5780
01-03-2003, 12:31 PM
They probably wont send a truck really maybe a van lol...

All they have to do is setup the carmeras and av equipment. They run a cable from there switcher to the fiberline and then there connected direct to NASA TV. Assuming the Verizon Center has a fiber drop (which I would assume)

Mark Pierce
01-03-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by rbayer
We Minnesotans are melting with 0" (yes, zero) of snow:)
My memories of our almost 5 years in Plymouth, MN (in economic exile from Michigan) generally include really cold winters with virtually no snow to play in. :(

Seriously, everyone take care and drive safely this weekend, an accident would not be a good way to start the season...

Brett W
01-03-2003, 12:39 PM
us up here in canada have had snow since 9:00pm last night. we have over a foot of snow on the ground now and we still have clear roads and are out and about. no worries up here.

Katie Reynolds
01-03-2003, 12:48 PM
No snow in Minnesota.
No snow in Michigan.
No snow in Wisconsin.

What's going on?! :confused: :D

- Katie

Madison
01-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Katie Reynolds
No snow in Minnesota.
No snow in Michigan.
No snow in Wisconsin.

- Katie

The polar ice caps are melting. The magnetic field of the Earth is switching. The world is ending.

Have a nice day. :)

(It's raining here.)

Matt Attallah
01-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by sanddrag
Sorry but I just can't help asking what kind of truck is it that you drive? My 4x4 is a 99 Ranger.

I would also like to know too. I have a Cherokee Laredo w/ all the opts. (part time 4 hi, Lo, Full Time 4, 2 wheel drive) and i haven't gotten stuck in any snow/mud/anything. And my truck is light as a feather! (It's a uni-body!)

Jay5780
01-03-2003, 01:41 PM
I meant if you get stuck when driving in 4 wheel drive you most likely wont get unstuck.

I haven't gotten stuck either...

Brandon Martus
01-03-2003, 01:42 PM
No snow in Michigan.

We got about 4 inches last night. Other parts of MI... I think that was about the average for the metro-Detroit area.

Jeff Waegelin
01-03-2003, 01:49 PM
I heard that the city of Detroit and southern suburbs got a little more, but up here in Rochester, 4 sounds about right.

MissAbi
01-03-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
We got about 4 inches last night. Other parts of MI... I think that was about the average for the metro-Detroit area.

Yeah it was coming down pretty good last night when I got out of robotics. good luck to everyone traveling in snow tomorrow.

-Abi
/me loaths wet, cold, yucky snow. Wishin' I was in Fl.

Tom Schindler
01-03-2003, 03:36 PM
I had to cancel my trip to kickoff/Dean's house cause of this snow.... too dangerous to drive in...... oh well, next year :)

We have about 4-5" here now, at the snow hasnt peaked yet.... the weatherman said it should peak around 8 or 9 tonight... but who believes the weathermen anyways? :)

Tom

Amber H.
01-03-2003, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by M. Krass
The polar ice caps are melting. The magnetic field of the Earth is switching. The world is ending.

Have a nice day. :)

(It's raining here.)

Why am I not surprised.

The little desert outpost I have been exiled to finally got snow this past week. They're having a really bad drought.

I just found out about the storm in NH this afternoon when my oldest daughter called me on the phone because she was frightened. Her father hadn't made it home yet because the storm had slowed him down. Fortunately, all four kids and their father are safely home now. They'll have fun with their sleds tomorrow!:D

Maybe I'll mail them some hot chocolate mix.

Yan Wang
01-03-2003, 05:52 PM
ARRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I live in Ithaca, NY (about 1/2 mile from nearest Cornell Edu building and 1 mile from Borg Warner) and it snowed from last night to... STILL SNOWING right now.

Somehow, EVERY single school district bordering us closed off except our wonderful ICSD administration... oh, did I mention the Superintendent has extended her vacation and is still in Florida today???

Basically, around a foot of snow already around here, probably close to two feet by tomorrow morning.

But on the subject of school, luckily, the principal got some sense knocked into him enar the end of 4th period (11:20am) and announced 8th period would be cut and school would end at 1:05pm rather than 2:37pm.

Good luck to any of you going to the Manchester Kickoff! I'm watching it with friends on Nasa tomorrow.

MattK
01-03-2003, 08:49 PM
I live here (manchester) and its snow like crazzzzzzzzzzzy. All High-Way traffic is moving @ about only 40mph or less, I just got home from the mall (took the highway) and a 9min. ride took me 25min.

Jordan
01-03-2003, 09:25 PM
WMUR-TV9 (Manchester's only network affiliate) forecast...

Detailed Forecast For New Hampshire:

Classic Nor'Easter !
Tonight: Southern and Central NH....Snow, heavy at times during the night and persisting into the morning. The snow could mix with a bit of sleet right along the coast. Snow accumulations towards dawn will likely be between 8-16 inches. Northern NH.....Snow developing, and accumulating between 4 and 8 inches by morning. Blustery, with blowing and drifting snow, and near white-out conditions at times ! Lows: 18 to 27. Winds: NE 12-25+ mph.
Saturday: Snow for most of the day, but not as heavy as Tonight. Total accumulations of between 11 and 20 inches from the White Mountains on south, with 20 inches or more in parts of the Monadnock Region, up to the Lake Sunapee area. In areas north of the White Mountains, look for between 5 and 11 inches by the afternoon. Blustery, with blowing and drifting snow. A coastal flood watch is in effect along the shore late Saturday AM into the early PM. Highs: 22 to 29. Winds: NE to N 12-25+ mph.
Sunday: A mix of sun and clouds, seasonably cold. Highs: 21 to 30.

Forecast Updated by Mike Haddad 7:32 PM EST Friday, Jan 3

Don Knight
01-03-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Kyle Fenton
[B]To all people planning to go to the Manchester kick-off tomorrow, the weather forecast predicts 6''-to 18'' of snow in the morning. This will make traveling up to Manchester very difficult.

If you are there, you may be all right, but the highways are probably going to be bad.

Darn, Darn Darn, Sunny and 75 degrees in Phoenix again tomorrow. :D Chamber of Commerce Weather, Streets are clear and free of snow but not snow birds - lots of folks from Ohio here for the Fiesta Bowl.

Bad thing is that the weather will be about the same for the regional in March, only 2 snow bound teams took the advantage to travel to Phoenix for the regional. Thanks teams 68 and 222 - you have made a wise choice. :p

ChrisH
01-03-2003, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Don Knight
Darn, Darn Darn, Sunny and 75 degrees in Phoenix again tomorrow. :D Chamber of Commerce Weather, Streets are clear and free of snow but not snow birds - lots of folks from Ohio here for the Fiesta Bowl.

Bad thing is that the weather will be about the same for the regional in March, only 2 snow bound teams took the advantage to travel to Phoenix for the regional. Thanks teams 68 and 222 - you have made a wise choice. :p

And about the same here in LA. Four or five years ago our team leader and I had 3 flights cancelled out from under us trying to get to the Kickoff. We finally arrived with about 5 hours to spare (and sleep). I am SOOOOO grateful for remote kickoffs. But I miss the party at Dean's. Of course I missed it that year anyway.

Anybody want to change their minds about which Kickoff to attend?

Joe Matt
01-03-2003, 09:43 PM
No snow nor rain in Richmond for the VCU Kick-Off! :)

Matt Attallah
01-03-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus

That isn't snow in Michigan...:rolleyes: :D

PatMoran
01-03-2003, 10:33 PM
The snow will not stop. I love it!! Man, we got jipped last year in Nashua, NH, and now we have two nor easters. This is great! Only one issue with it though, does anyone know if the kickoff telecast at BAE will still take place. I assume it will, but you never know......

TF8
01-03-2003, 10:51 PM
Last words i heard at about 10 pm was that the telecast is still a go. See everyone there tomorow at about 945 to 1000.
Tyler

Mike Martus
01-03-2003, 11:04 PM
It is 12:00am still snowing heavy. Glad we only have to walk a very short distance accross the street.

We have at least 6 now.

Clark Gilbert
01-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Kokomo got about 6-7 inches of snow on thursday with about 1 inch melting today. So there will be a "white kickoff", sounds like we may be getting some more here sometime this weekend too....

ColleenShaver
01-03-2003, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I just started shoveling out my car in prep for the ride to NH tomorrow. We're (Central MA) supposed to get about 6-8" less than the NH area, and we've already got AT LEAST 6" down :ahh: It's not accumulating much anymore *crosses fingers*

It's getting really windy though, and that's supposed to continue into the morning. Let's hope we can get to NH :)

Everyone drive (and walk!) safe.

--colleen

Jgreenwd1
01-07-2003, 03:18 AM
we have so much snow here in claremont i cant see out of my window in the cellar.

This photo was taken before the storm hit. theres about another foot or two on top of it now

Koko Ed
01-07-2003, 09:40 AM
No snow in Minnesota.
No snow in Michigan.
No snow in Wisconsin.

- Katie

We got over 70+ inches in Rochester already.
When is spring?

germanystudent
01-04-2009, 05:57 PM
haha it's been a white kick off for us here in Idaho! we have about 3+ Feet of snow and we are getting another 10 inches tonight

MattK
01-04-2009, 05:59 PM
haha it's been a white kick off for us here in Idaho! we have about 3+ Feet of snow and we are getting another 10 inches tonight

this thread was started in 2003 :eek: