PDA

View Full Version : Sterilite Bins

Yan Wang
01-05-2003, 04:47 PM
My friend Steve and I just went out and bought 2 of those Streilite bins we're using. They're fairly large and are $7 each at Target :)

Does anyone have an Inventor drawing of it yet? Steve's almost done with the scale drawing of the field which'll be posted most likely tonight.

Brandon Martus
01-05-2003, 04:48 PM
Check the inventor/cad forum.
There have been talks of how to model it correctly.

People have been getting the bins for $3.44 also, at WalMart, if I'm not mistaken. Not postive though :)

Rob Colatutto
01-05-2003, 04:55 PM
$3.50 we got ours.... they only had 4 left. if anyone knows of a store with a very large amount of them, we need 25 more

pauluffel
01-05-2003, 05:03 PM
I got a few at Walmart for $3.44 and there were only a few more left there (they didn't have very many at the beginning, but if you hit up all of the stores in your area you could probably get 25 more). Also about the rule that you get DQ"ed for destroying the bins, this shouldn"t be a problem unless you design your robot to break them. I took one outside for some "stress-testing";) this afternoon which consisted of throwing it across my yard, and the bin was completely unharmed. The bins are fairly thick and very sturdy, so I hope some teams take advantage of this and chuck the bins around.

Rob Colatutto
01-05-2003, 05:15 PM
[i]I took one outside for some "stress-testing";) this afternoon which consisted of throwing it across my yard, and the bin was completely unharmed. The bins are fairly thick and very sturdy, so I hope some teams take advantage of this and chuck the bins around. [/B]

already done :D

Aaron Lussier
01-05-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by pauluffel
Also about the rule that you get DQ"ed for destroying the bins, this shouldn"t be a problem unless you design your robot to break them. I took one outside for some "stress-testing";) this afternoon which consisted of throwing it across my yard, and the bin was completely unharmed. The bins are fairly thick and very sturdy, so I hope some teams take advantage of this and chuck the bins around.

Well today we were seeing how hihg we could stack them and we got up to as high as the celing would go, well... it fell and the one one the top landed on the corner of the top side and the entire side blew out leaving a big gaping whole, the celing is about 12 feet high.

Jeff Waegelin
01-05-2003, 05:40 PM
We did some testing with last year's robot, and crashed into stacks of the bins numerous times. We only broke one, and it was the lid that broke.

Mark Garver
01-05-2003, 05:52 PM
For you that have a target around you, they went on sale this morning for I believe $3 exactly. I know we got ours at Walmart for $3.44.

They only wieght about 2 pounds without the rivets.

Joe Matt
01-05-2003, 06:29 PM
We finaly have ours. Wal-Mart for $3.44.

ebmonon36
01-05-2003, 06:56 PM
I saw them in the Target curcular in the Sunday paper for $2.99. dont know if that is nation wide or if us Indy folks got lucky:)

Alexander McGee
01-05-2003, 09:58 PM
yeah, wallmart. theyre the cheapest, around 3 bucks, but good luck finding them.

Hendrix
01-05-2003, 10:20 PM
We were doing some testing with ours, a stack of 5 high, knocked them over a few times, and in the end 2 of them are broke. They still stack, so we are still using them :)

jared999
01-07-2003, 03:39 PM
I was informed by Target that Rubbermaid is used as the primary distributor for storage bins on the West Coast, making the Sterilites hard to find. However Wal-Mart carries them Nationwide and they have issued an alert to purchase more containers. They may also be willing to give a discount if you tell them you are from a school and you buy a lot of them.