PDA

View Full Version : Is it illegal to lift another robot off the ground?

Tton
01-08-2003, 09:41 PM
is it illegal to lift an opponents robot of the ground

OneAngryDaisy
01-08-2003, 09:43 PM
You actually will get more points if you are on the ramp at the end of the game and there's a robot on top of you- so that should be allowed as long as you are not damaging the robot itself

DaBruteForceGuy
01-08-2003, 09:43 PM
yes, red the rules-it's in there... b-leve me it's there;)

edit- u beat me

Timinator
01-08-2003, 09:54 PM
I must have missed the part where you get more points for carrying a robot at the end. I beleive it says a robot completely supported by a robot completely on the top will receive the 25 points as well, but I can't find it :(

OneAngryDaisy
01-08-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Timinator
I must have missed the part where you get more points for carrying a robot at the end. I beleive it says a robot completely supported by a robot completely on the top will receive the 25 points as well, but I can't find it :(

I never actually saw it in the manual but Woodie and the NASA guy talked about it during the kickoff.. maybe they were mistaken- that's completely possible

Simeon
01-08-2003, 09:58 PM
the idea is that when a robot sits on top of another robot, the top robot inherits the properties of the bottom robot.
if it is a blue robot on a red one
the top robot is counted as a red robot
let's say the bottom robot manages to get to the top of the hill
therefore 2 red robots are now sitting on top of the platform, giving the red team 50 points

Joel Glidden
01-08-2003, 09:58 PM
In print > spoken word

-Joel

Timinator
01-08-2003, 10:03 PM
I'll beleive it when I see it...

I'm looking for the rule myself, but its an elusive beast....

heh and I'm supposed to be in charge of knowing all the rules for my team. We're doomed :)

Damian Manda
01-08-2003, 10:05 PM
Do you think you would be allowed to lift the other robot for a purpose other than puting it on you? In other words, could you hold your opponent off the ground for the entire match?

OneAngryDaisy
01-08-2003, 10:07 PM
you are allowed to pin a robot for ten seconds, so you'd probably only be allowed to hold them up for ten seconds, then you'd have to put them down and back up three feet until you could engage them again..

Timinator
01-08-2003, 10:08 PM
http://jive.ilearning.com/thread.jsp?forum=2&thread=119&tstart=30&trange=15

there's a partial answer, but its not too descriptive :(

Timinator
01-08-2003, 10:10 PM
Ah ha!

http://jive.ilearning.com/thread.jsp?forum=2&thread=296&tstart=45&trange=15

That one clearly states it... so holding a robot has no score bonus. I could've sworn woodie said differently at the kick-off, but maybe he was wrong there too.

Gadget470
01-08-2003, 10:14 PM
I personally think having that as a main objective makes you a very limiting alliance partner. In fact, I think it unwise to even attempt as a main design.

First off, if you are able to surround a bot and have it's wheels be free spinning (so it can't drive off of you) then you will become top heavy (or side heavy.. depending on how you have it held). Going up the ramp has serious potential for tipping your bot. Consider that the opposing bot will be raised and also be ~120-130lbs which raises your center of gravity. If the robot is very tall, it raises it even more. Even has potential to qualify as an intentional damage (when the opponents bot is dropped/falls off).

With a sole purpose to disable another opponent, you no longer are able to be a big help on offense. Unless you plan on driving around pushing boxes with their bot on you.

Also consider that many teams will have some type of arm that they could swing. The forces from the arm(s) will almost surely tip you and you're opponent making the match 1 v 1.

D@ve
01-08-2003, 10:17 PM
If some teams do chose to do this . i'd like to see it. being a different kinda robot then most usually makes you stand out form the rest. And thats what make First exiting.

Timinator
01-08-2003, 10:17 PM
and lets not even get into the trouble of lifting a robot that weighs just as much as yours does while keeping balance...

D@ve
01-08-2003, 10:23 PM
i can smell the burning gearboxs already!

Timinator
01-08-2003, 10:25 PM
I can see the robot arms grabbing the opponent... and flipping your own robot over instead of picking up theirs :)

Andy144
01-13-2003, 09:02 PM
it is quite possible to lift their robot with some 2.5' bore pistons and 60 psi that first is providing us with and just design the robot with some good counter balance and it will be pretty easy to pick up another robot, even if it weighs the same or more than your robot. . . I am hoping to build a very violent and mean robot, but we will see how well our team's "democracy" works! hahaha!

Useless Trevor
01-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Timinator
and lets not even get into the trouble of lifting a robot that weighs just as much as yours does while keeping balance...

I don't think we plan on doing it this year, but just to note, our team (537) did manage to lift and hold robots last year. It's not as hard as you might think, though it was a bit involved.

http://www.team537.com/2002_competition/ for pictures of both Before (First day of Nationals Competition) and After (Second day of Nationals Competition).

Trashed20
01-14-2003, 08:28 PM
we had a little discussion about this last year

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3512

1800 reads and alot of not happy people. i only know 2-3 teams that did this last year, and proly even fewer for this year. There isn't really an advantage to doing this.