PDA

View Full Version : Decoration Power

Damian Manda
01-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Yes, I know that rule M11 says where energy sources must come from, but I was wondering if decorations are an exception to the rule. For example, if you wanted to use a battery powered light strand, would that battery power be included? If you follow the flowchart, it falls under being allowed if it is a decoration. Also would devices like lights be allowed in the first place? I don't see them breaking rule M9, so I would expect they would. I mainly want to know if the decorations can have their own power.

Damian Manda

Damian Manda
01-08-2003, 10:52 PM
I was thinking more on this subject, and according to the definition of "non-functioning decoration" an additional Basic stamp could even be added. There is probably a rule about this some where, but i'm too lazy to find it. Also, I don't se why you couldnt have a stamp, if it was just controlling the lights, ect.

Damian Manda

srjjs
01-08-2003, 11:44 PM
No, you can't have a separate battery for them. You can, however, connect them to your robot's main battery the same way you connect the other devices.

Greg Ross
01-09-2003, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by srjjs
No, you can't have a separate battery for them. You can, however, connect them to your robot's main battery the same way you connect the other devices.
I think in past years they have said non functional decorations could be powered by a separate battery. Remember it all comes out of your 130 lb. weight budget though.

srjjs
01-09-2003, 12:32 AM
Manual rule M11 in The Robot section on page 19 says the only stored energy must be from the regulation battery, pnematics, springs, and a change in the altitude of the device's center of gravity.
In my opinion, that means that the energy source attached to the decoration would be illegal.

Joe Ross
01-09-2003, 08:40 AM
Rule M9 says that decorations may draw power from the control system. Most of the other parts of that rule say must, which leaves room for the decoration to get it's power from another source.

Also, looking at the Part Use Flowchart, Non functional decorations are allowed, before they disallow energy sources.

This should be clarified by asking on the FIRST forums, though.

Katie Reynolds
01-09-2003, 09:22 AM
You are allowed to use a seperate battery to power light-up decorations. We chekced with FIRST when we did last year. We had Glo-Wire on our robot, and it was powered by a seperate 9 volt battery.

- Katie