PDA

View Full Version : Our New Website

tonyargote
01-23-2003, 11:18 PM
Criticism: We just launched our website, any thoughts?

ramtech59.dadeschools.net (http://ramtech59.dadeschools.net)

ToNy

evulish
01-24-2003, 03:50 PM
*sigh* It's 'optimized' for IE. That means it doesn't work well with other browsers. For the sake of standards, stick to something that opens in everything. I'd run IE...if I ran Windows. In Opera, there are no links to select low/high bandwidth sites. And the flash animation drags just a tad. If you could make it standardized, I'd imagine you'd have a nice site.

Rickertsen2
01-24-2003, 04:29 PM
I like the layout (i only tested it on IE because it is the only thing loaded on this computer) however the yellow appears a bit clashy in places. overall it looks great.

sanddrag
01-24-2003, 07:09 PM
It tries to install bad Comet Cursor junk on your computer. Other than that it looks pretty cool.

Duke 13370
01-24-2003, 08:16 PM
I think the colors could be improved slightly, It seems a little dark and there's only a splash of something else (a little yellow here, a little blue there). Those splashes seem out of place and akward.

The comet cursor is quite annoying, but overall, it's excellent.

The biggest thing is -- will you use it?
I've seen a lot of sites that have all the features, and technology, but no one uses it. As long as your team and your sponsors use it, this is an excellent website.

Chris P
01-25-2003, 11:37 AM
Looks good, other then a few colours. I suggest taking one colour and just using shades of it.

Chris

BBFIRSTCHICK
01-26-2003, 12:15 AM
Hey Tony!!!
dude....its not all that bad!! add alittle more color though!

GregTheGreat
01-26-2003, 12:48 AM
Wow, you guys went all out.

I really think its nice. I wish we had a website that nice. Maybe someday we will. Were working on it anyways.

A+++++++++++++

Go luck wining the Web Award

-Greg The Great

Bduggan04
01-26-2003, 02:43 PM
The site's pretty good, but I would reconsider the animated gifs in favor of a vector animation made in flash. The gear is kind of jerky. Otherwise it's pretty good.

tonyargote
01-27-2003, 09:44 PM
Thanks for all the nice comments. We worked hard.
Also, thanks for the critisism, i'll get my team working on the colors and this flash. Flash was an experiment for us, cause we never have used it before.

I'm testing other browsers, and so far it works in netscape, IE, neoplanet, & msn. If anyone can tell me where it doesn't work, i'll get on it right away.

AS for the yellow, i think it looks a little wack to, but they are our team colors. Maybey blue would look better.....

BBFIRSTCHICK: when can i expect to see your site (if you make one), might be cool! [give it a shot]

tonyargote
01-27-2003, 09:48 PM
to GregTheGreat: if you guys need help with your site, contact me, tjargote@bellsouth.net. I'll give you guys help with anything you need (if i can make the time).

to Holla: you're site is pretty cool too! you guys kept it simple and didn't complicate your lives (which is a good thing, cause you only make more work for yourself in the end). My diagnosis: looking pretty cool

tonyargote
01-27-2003, 09:53 PM
OH, SORRY ABOUT THE COMET CURSOR, it's a little mistake a long time ago to make the site cooler, that we now really regret. i'm getting the code off now.

BBFIRSTCHICK
01-27-2003, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by tonyargote
Thanks for all the nice comments. We worked hard.
Also, thanks for the critisism, i'll get my team working on the colors and this flash. Flash was an experiment for us, cause we never have used it before.

I'm testing other browsers, and so far it works in netscape, IE, neoplanet, & msn. If anyone can tell me where it doesn't work, i'll get on it right away.

AS for the yellow, i think it looks a little wack to, but they are our team colors. Maybey blue would look better.....

BBFIRSTCHICK: when can i expect to see your site (if you make one), might be cool! [give it a shot]

tonyargote:
it would be sweet to do a site.....but the thing is NO TIME...lol... we are running around trying to get our bot done...maybe after we ship

tonyargote
01-27-2003, 10:00 PM
tonyargote - Glad that you like our site Thanx for visiting it!
No prob,:D I love websites

it would be sweet to do a site.....but the thing is NO TIME...lol... we are running around trying to get our bot done...maybe after we ship

I know what you mean, i'm working on 6 million things at once, (school, website, team, work, community classes, friends, sleep, war on iraq, etc....) i'm going to explode! :ahh:

Yan Wang
01-27-2003, 10:01 PM
The site looks good, but what you really want is content. Hence, it's pointless to make a low/high bandwidth size, but better to just standardize the site and try to make it compliant for all OS/browsers or as many as you can... and bandwidths! I know I don't like a big site slowing down my daily web browsing.

tonyargote
01-27-2003, 10:05 PM
Our original intent (and i think we might still do this) is to have a two sites, one for the 56k (& such) users, that won't have many flash and animation components (Cause we all know that slow downloads are a killer) and the high-bandwith section, that will eventually be a complete flash website. This seems like an interesting experiment, since in the end we can still revert to simplerer prototype websites.

evulish
01-27-2003, 10:23 PM
Psst. Don't optimize for certain browsers! Some of us are incapable of using IE. I won't use it untill MS ports it to Linux. I don't see that happening any time soon.

tonyargote
01-27-2003, 10:32 PM
Psst. Don't optimize for certain browsers! Some of us are incapable of using IE. I won't use it untill MS ports it to Linux. I don't see that happening any time soon.

do you use linux? if so, how does it vary from linux to ie

evulish
01-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Linux is an operating system...like Windows. IE is a browser. Microsoft doesn't make IE for Linux. In Linux, I mostly use the browsers: Opera, Mozilla, Konqueror, or Lynx. You can get Opera and Mozilla for Windows. Opera complies to W3C (afaik) and can't use many IE-specific HTML things. The only place I can get to on your site using Opera is the front page. There are no links for me.

tonyargote
01-27-2003, 11:09 PM
ohhh! that may be due to the dhtml code that we have. i'll do some research, and try to correct this problem. Thanx

AJ Quick
01-27-2003, 11:22 PM
OH, SORRY ABOUT THE COMET CURSOR, it's a little mistake a long time ago to make the site cooler, that we now really regret. i'm getting the code off now.

That makes the site a whole lot better, I can now browse the site without having to click no on every page. ;) I really like the design, I don't really see much of a difference, however, between the dial up site, and the faster connection site. Is there one? and what is it?

Site looks great!

tonyargote
01-29-2003, 08:06 PM
I really like the design, I don't really see much of a difference, however, between the dial up site, and the faster connection site. Is there one? and what is it?

There is no difference now, because we haven't finished the high bandwith section, so there are no differences (except for the flash intro). Both links will take you to the same page (index3.htm). Once we finish our current project, we will have a flash based website in the high-bandwith section.

By the way, thanx for taking a look at our site, and for the nice comments. We are trying to prepare for the website competition at regionals.

Q: Will there be a website comeptition at nationals as well?

iBob
02-16-2003, 09:51 PM

Just wondering, have you tested it only in Windows? There are other platforms that will show it differently, specifically Macs, like OS X, and Linux. You might want to get on a Mac sometime and view it with a few broswers, I'd suggest IE for Mac, Safari, Mozilla, and Chimera. Just a few suggestions to help you out.