PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Loses Sponsor, Save Them!

Gadget470
01-28-2003, 11:29 PM
In today's South Oakland Tribune there was an article about team 1188 (DE-STA-CO Industries & Royal Oak Schools/ Dondero&Kimball Royal Oak, MI USA ).

Aparently last week DE-STA-CO Industries decided not to sponsor the team. What does this mean? They can't afford to compete. They've already tried local businesses (according to the article) but many of us know how that goes. Local businesses jump at the chance to support football or basketball but not something like robotics.

The team is currently signed up to go to Great Lakes and West Michigan Regionals, but it is now doubtful they will be able to afford it.

If you, your company, or someone you know, or someone you know's company, or someone they.. you get the point.. would be able to sponsor the rookie team:

Chuck Gosdzinksi
248-541-7100 Ext. 245

I'll call him tomarrow to get more information

Jeremy_Mc
01-29-2003, 02:25 AM
one piece of rather obvious advice is only go to one regional. i don't know if this is possible, but it'll cut their costs in half obviously.

have they tried huge corporations? i know wal mart's grant writing period starts in the beginning of february. it's not a lot but it would help. UAW will give you some (little) money. they live near detroit...they should try the bigger car companies.

that's the only ones that spring to mind other than fundraise fundraise fundraise (put on concerts with local bands at the school every weekend...charge 5 dollars admission. people will come, trust me :))

*jeremy

SlamminSammy
01-29-2003, 04:39 AM
Tell them to move to Minnesota :)
We have more sponsors than high schools. I think were doing something wrong.:(

My advice? Find a big company w/o a FIRST team and show up at their HQ. Keep asking to see an executive (politely) until you have an appointment. Then be prompt for the meeting and present the FIRST video along with personal stories in addition to explaining the benefits the company will get by sponsoring you (usually "a good feeling" doesn't cut it). Don't accept a "no" without reason (again, ask politely). Learn from that reason, fix it, and try again.