PDA

View Full Version : Team 68's Robot

Alexander McGee
02-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Here ya go. Take a look at what we've got going on. Works great!

Alexander McGee
02-05-2003, 09:18 PM

Alexander McGee
02-05-2003, 09:20 PM

OneAngryDaisy
02-05-2003, 09:23 PM
Sick- looks like you guys will have another amazing bot this year.. can you stack more than one crate at a time? and if not, how fast can you stack?

Solace
02-05-2003, 09:24 PM
how close does the bin have to be for you to pick it up, and can you orient bins if they get flipped over?

I'm assuming you can't go under the bar.

overall, really sweet bot though. tracks or wheels? its hard to tell from the pics

Gope
02-05-2003, 10:43 PM
Nothing makes me happier than seeing robots that will compliment ours well. Great job, very impressive stack height.

Alexander McGee
02-06-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by OneAngryDaisy
Sick- looks like you guys will have another amazing bot this year.. can you stack more than one crate at a time? and if not, how fast can you stack?

This robot can stack up to 3 at a time, very fast. It also can easily manipulate a box so that it can be stacked appropriatelly, (even in the air).

Adam Krajewski
02-06-2003, 04:00 PM
Looks a lot like the (slightly modified) 2001 arm on top of the 2002 drivetrain.

Adam

Alexander McGee
02-06-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Adam Krajewski
Looks a lot like the (slightly modified) 2001 arm on top of the 2002 drivetrain.

Adam
exactally

Brant Bowen
02-06-2003, 09:34 PM
How high is the sholder and how long is the arm?

Alexander McGee
02-13-2003, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Spongebob234
How high is the sholder and how long is the arm?

everything fits into the dimentions of requirements, and the arm extends to about 15 feet

Koko Ed
02-13-2003, 11:31 AM
You gouys gonna transport your great bot on those mini trucks you use?
They were so cool.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/OEP/first/regional/gallery/2002/mini-DSC00226.JPG

Alexander McGee
02-14-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by Koko Ed
You gouys gonna transport your great bot on those mini trucks you use?
They were so cool.
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/OEP/first/regional/gallery/2002/mini-DSC00226.JPG

yeah, weve got like 5 different truck colors, and look out. some time soon, were going to have a hummer 2 or 3 body (yes, there is a hummer 3 coming, weve all seen it here), or an escalade ext body.

Raven_Writer
02-15-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by magnasmific
yeah, weve got like 5 different truck colors, and look out. some time soon, were going to have a hummer 2 or 3 body (yes, there is a hummer 3 coming, weve all seen it here), or an escalade ext body.
Never heard of a toy hummer

Ianworld
02-16-2003, 12:01 AM
he never said it was a toy....

Gadget470
02-16-2003, 12:25 AM
Can you fit under the bar with that beast of an arm?

Ianworld
02-16-2003, 01:15 AM
i'm not on the team, but i'm sure that thing can't. You can't collapse a triangle like the one supporting the arm :)

But my teams arm can fold down and is 9 feet long. The bar isn't our enemy. of course its theoretically our arm could lift our robot over the bar... but were aren't going to test it ;)

Gadget470
02-16-2003, 01:36 AM

Why not do something useful with that money..

DanLevin247
02-16-2003, 01:41 AM
I mean, not to be rude...

This reminds me of first grade,

When you bring in a cupcake and try to eat it in class...and the teacher says "now, do you have enough for everyone?" and you say "no"...so she makes you but the cupcake away.

I mean, if you get a robot transport truck, and countless teams have to go cartless, can't you tone it down a little bit and park the truck outside?

Alexander McGee
02-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Gadget470
Why not do something useful with that money..

The truck was free. We built it out of an old go-kart in the off season. The bodys were made by GM for the 1/10th scale productions (for auto shows and model concepts), and they simply gave us some extra bodys made of lexane. The truck was literally given to us. We had plenty of money to put in the neon lights and strobes and siren, as well as build an incredible robot. However, the bells and whistles were donated by a local fire department. And, for all of you out there who still criticize us for having a cool cart, i dont know what to tell you. It is a great way to grab attention at robotics events, as well as fund raising and community outreach programs in the off-season. THi is one of the great benefits of having our particular sponsor, General Motors Truck and Bus division.

Alexander McGee
02-16-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by DanLevin247
I mean, not to be rude...if you get a robot transport truck, and countless teams have to go cartless, can't you tone it down a little bit and park the truck outside?

The objective of the Mini-truck is to grab attention. I think it is doing its job just fine. And, we arn't permitted to use the siren indoors anyway. So, the only real place you get the full impact of it is at nationals. It is outside at most of the competitions (its a pain to get through doors). In fact, i think that the only time we used it to bring the robot on field during competition was at Cleveland and Nationals.

Gadget470
02-16-2003, 01:12 PM
It's a neat little thing, and it does it job, I just think it over-does the job. I'm not jealous of it, because I think robots should be one draws attention, not bells and whistles.

http://members.aol.com/paisleyboy/graphics/coins1.gif

Mark Garver
02-16-2003, 01:15 PM
The reason Team 68 does what it does is to raise the bar for teams in the FIRST community.

The mini-truck body go cart made its first appearance in the 99 robotics season. Several mouths after the redesigned GMC and Chevrolet trucks come to market for the public to purchase. By the team expressing an interested in this new body as well as GM expressing an interested in us advertising for them, the mini-truck go cart was created.

It is in the mission of the Truck Town Thunder Robotics team to raise the level of FIRST. Not only on the field but off as well. It is sad that not all teams understand this and don't see a purpose in their mission.

Just my input, being a team member for 4 years and now an advisor for 2.

Mark

Gadget470
02-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Mark G
The reason Team 68 does what it does is to raise the bar for teams in the FIRST community.

That is partially my point. They have fancy bells, whistles, and lights. Most of it relitivly expensive, donated or not. The bar gets raised, and other teams can't match it. A lot of teams don't have sponsors at all, let alone ones that can donate big toys.

A lot of teams are struggling very hard for funds. I just left a team that I doubt will be around next year because they can't afford it.

Kind of frustrating to see teams that flaunt their cash while others struggle to make it to another year. I guess that's how it is in the real world though, some people have mansions, others have shopping carts.

Alexander McGee
02-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Gadget470
Kind of frustrating to see teams that flaunt their cash while others struggle to make it to another year.

Cash that we worked hard for. If you only knew how much time our students donate to the community and team for fundraising and spreading the message of F.I.R.S.T.. We go above and beyond to get the word out, and raise the money required to run a team like this. Sure, having a lot of money is great for teams, but having a great robot is what it all comes down to. And that is what we have created this year; A great robot. No, i'm not talking about the ones in the pictures. Adam was right, lol, that is a mockup robot, not our bot for this year. Its last year's chassis, and 2 years ago's arm. Just wait and see, it all comes down to the robot.

Todd Derbyshire
02-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Why do teams always question other teams on their integrity of F.I.R.S.T. when they have big bank accounts. Money doesn't mean a thing except that you can spread the message of F.I.R.S.T. wider throughout the community by the ability of attaining more members and have more community involvement. Some teams can go and have fifty plus members like(88 and others) and others can scrap there way through every year. However, the important thing is that you promote the program in your community. And as long as that is there then it doesn't matter how much money you have. Right now we shouldn't be questioning how each other spends there money but instead we should be congratulating each other on the robots being built.
P.S. Sorry Team 68 for calling you a Ford team earlier this season (me looks down at key chain and looks at the GM symbol) shakes head:(