PDA

View Full Version : UTC Scrimmage Bar Height

Andy Grady
02-16-2003, 11:47 AM
Hi All...

I was wondering if any teams measured the bar height at the UTC Scrimmage. I was looking at it before the competition started and it seemed to be a little bit lower than what the specs called for. Also I noticed that RAGE went right into the bar as they were attempting to go under. From the look of it, that robot was designed to go under the bar, and the fact that it didn't makes me question whether or not the bar on that field was 14" .5". Considering that this field was provided by FIRST, it may be important to know.

Thank you,
Andy Grady

p.s. Congrats to all teams at the Scrimmage, it was alot of fun.

Solace
02-16-2003, 12:02 PM
i dunno. we had no problem going under it.
I think rage crashed cause they didn't have their arm down all the way

Joel J
02-16-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Andy Grady
Hi All...

I was wondering if any teams measured the bar height at the UTC Scrimmage. I was looking at it before the competition started and it seemed to be a little bit lower than what the specs called for. Also I noticed that RAGE went right into the bar as they were attempting to go under. From the look of it, that robot was designed to go under the bar, and the fact that it didn't makes me question whether or not the bar on that field was 14" .5". Considering that this field was provided by FIRST, it may be important to know.

Thank you,
Andy Grady

p.s. Congrats to all teams at the Scrimmage, it was alot of fun. We do go under the bar.. we are slightly over a foot tall at our highest point. The only time we didn't make it under the bar was during the morning practice, and that was because we got the grippers, that are attached to our wrist, stuck under our arm, preventing it from going down all the way. The height of the bar was correct. We ventured under the bar multiple times in the quals and elims, you didn't see that? BTW, were you the "commentator" at the scrimmage?

mav
02-16-2003, 07:55 PM
yes Andy was the commentator at the scrimmage

Andy Grady
02-16-2003, 08:23 PM
Joel,

Yes I was the commentator at the Scrimmage. I must have missed you guys going under the bar because my focus was mainly on what was going on over the ramp and at either side of the field. I guess I didn't notice many teams going under the bar, because it just seemed so easy to just travel over the bridge. Either way, great job to you and the rest of the Rage crew, I look forward to seeing you guys at the competitions.

Good Luck,
Andy Grady

WernerNYK
02-17-2003, 01:23 AM
Does anyone know what awards were given at the scrimmage? We left early in order to finish working in the lab at a reasonable time...

Thanks

ROB at RAGE
02-17-2003, 10:25 AM
The Rookie team Honnor went to the the team form Brookfield High School.

Lomis-Chaffe (spelling?) and Rage won the play offs, once Lomis-Chaffe keeps there wheel chains on they will be awesome this year.

Rage was the number 1 seed.

The real win of the day was playing the game with 4 robots on the course. Its ugly, but gets rather exciting at the end.

Solace
02-17-2003, 10:30 AM
Its Loomis Chaffee. I think we should get an award for the most mispronounced school of all time.

yeah, the match with all four robots at the ramp at the end was amazing. A thing that this scrimmage taught us is that the team that wins the first round has an enourmous advantage (much more so than last year). with all 4 bots on top, and just a couple more boxes on our side than the other one, our alliance jumped head by abbout 105 points. If your behind by that much, it is extremely difficult to come back - all your opponent has to do is make sure that they themselves do not score any points.

ROB at RAGE
02-17-2003, 10:38 AM
I did not measure , but it looked be about as advertised in the field blue print.

It is welded aluminum and quite soft, we bent it noticeably when we hit a good pace. Force enough to break a 3/8" 42 tooth cast steel sprocket that had lightening holes in it. an amazing thing is a 6" diameter 3/8" thick polycarbonate pulley bolted on the sprocket had just a little dent in it. If the bar gets a lot of abuse it may get a little shorter.

The robot hit it due to not being folded down correctly. It did go under a couple of times in later matches.

Going under can be effective in clearing out boxes form your opponents zone.

Andy Grady
02-17-2003, 02:32 PM
Solace,

My appologies to Team Paragon for mispronouncing their schools name dozens upon dozens of times over the course of the day. It took me til the end of the day when I was in the middle of announcing the winners of the final round to learn that it was pronounced with a long "a" sound! I swear I'll get it right from now on!

Good Luck,
Andy Grady