PDA

View Full Version : 20 amp fuses for Spikes

Andrew Schuetze
02-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Are the 20 amp fuses for the spike relays the same type/quality as which can be found in an automotive parts store? I had some students blow 4 or more while experimenting on last year's robot. I know that they are available via Innovation First but autozone is closer and I don't need a Purchase order.:)

ttedrow
02-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Schuetze
Are the 20 amp fuses for the spike relays the same type/quality as which can be found in an automotive parts store? I had some students blow 4 or more while experimenting on last year's robot. I know that they are available via Innovation First but autozone is closer and I don't need a Purchase order.:)

The "20 amp fuses" are really self resetting circuit breakers. As soon as they cool off (in seconds) they reset and your robot starts moving again.

Tim Tedrow

FotoPlasma
02-26-2003, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by ttedrow
The "20 amp fuses" are really self resetting circuit breakers. As soon as they cool off (in seconds) they reset and your robot starts moving again.

Tim Tedrow

Not quite. You're thinking of the circuit breakers which are inserted into the main breaker box. The question was about the single action fuses which are plugged directly into the Spike relays, from IFI.

In regard to the original question, if it fits, and it's rated at 20 amps, there shouldn't be any problem with it. You can usually find these at Radio Shack (that's where I've gotten them, anyway), but I don't doubt that you can find them at an auto parts store.

Rickertsen2
03-04-2003, 07:35 PM
more importantly what is the point in having them at all when the spikes should be connected through auto-resetting breakers. Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the breakers if the fuses blow.

Jeff Waegelin
03-05-2003, 11:11 AM
If it makes you feel safer, you can plug auto-reset breakers into the spikes, too. We usually do that, but we have a breaker shortage right now, and we couldn't get any more in time for ship.

liquidtension55
04-01-2003, 06:46 PM
we kept blowing the fuses for our compresor. we must have blown it 5-6 times.:confused:

Andy A.
04-01-2003, 07:25 PM
Liquid-

The compressor is famous for blowing the 20 amp fuse. I forgot why exactly.

It is legal to put a 20 amp resetting breaker (the same kind used on the distro blocks) in place of the fuse. This is only legal on the spike powering the compressor.

-Andy A.

Joe Ross
04-01-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Waegelin
[B]If it makes you feel safer, you can plug auto-reset breakers into the spikes, too. [B]

Can you provide a rule or a FIRST forums posting that says that? As far as my memory goes, the only fuse you can replace with a auto-reseting circuit breaker is the one that the compressor uses. (And apparently, Andy A. agrees with me).

Jeff Waegelin
04-01-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Joe Ross
Can you provide a rule or a FIRST forums posting that says that? As far as my memory goes, the only fuse you can replace with a auto-reseting circuit breaker is the one that the compressor uses. (And apparently, Andy A. agrees with me).

I don't know if it's in there or not (allowed or disallowed). I just know we've done it in the past. We didn't this year, since we didn't have enough 20 amp auto-resets, though.