PDA

View Full Version : Qotw [02-27-03]: Who would want for partner/opponents...

Ken Leung
02-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Hey all. I've always been asking for suggestions for Question of the week, and finally someone gave me a few suggestions. Big Thanks for JVN from 229 for this week's question!

Question 02/27/03: Out of the bots so far, who would you like to have as your partner? Who would you like to compete against?

Take a look at the index thread in Robot showcase @ http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17477 if you haven't seen all the robots already. (/me shamelessly showing off :P) I will update the index tonight again. Also, firstrobotics.net have a great gallery of all the robot's picture in numerical order. Check it out if you haven't already done so.

Have fun!

-Ken Leung

P.S. PM or e-mail if you have more suggestions for Qotw.

Swampdude
02-27-2003, 08:54 PM
I think it will be interesting to see us against the wide, wall type bots like 60, 68 (impressive), 217, 343 (always quality). Also the other wedge bots like 229. It'll be a big mess, I can't wait!
And I like the under the bar stacker's as an alliance like of course our sister team 180, it would be totally awesome to go to finals with them. But I also like 522, 342 (sweet), 353, 233 (beautiful as usual), 67 and 267 (always innovative). If these teams perform as usual (as I'm sure they will) we'd end up great teams. Thats just a few I scanned from 212's gallery, I think (Thanks, nice work!!) (http://www.firstrobotics.net/03gallery) and recall seeing.
I also can't wait to see 312 Heatwave, They always impress the heck out of me. I'm sure they'll be the top of our wanted Allies list. There's sooo many great teams out there. Everyone keeps getting better at building these things.

Swampdude, 179

Joe Matt
02-27-2003, 09:11 PM
I'd like to be paired up with an under the bar bot. I think that'll be a nice complement.

Tony
02-27-2003, 09:37 PM
I want to see 111 go against 71 at Midwest. Preferably for Finals, but anytime would be fine.

Speaking from years of experience, (save for 2001 when 111 and 71 were on the same alliance) it simply wouldn't be the Midwest Regional without it.

As for who, ideally, I would want our partners to be: 45 and 16.

:-D

aTm

evulish
02-27-2003, 10:09 PM
I want to see what happens when two arms like ours (team 84) collide :) So yeah...us against other arm bots. Hehe. (I want to see who we can't shove off the ramp...)

DaBruteForceGuy
02-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Yea, well being an "under the bar bot" we have a wide range of alliance partners that would work well with us strategically. When it comes to seeing stackers.... i want to see 610 (in tandom with that awesome cow catcher) and most definitly hurricane floyd because they look lik they could stack pretty effectively......What i havn't seen is a stacker that can quickly and efficiantly pick up, and stow bins that aren't upright and strewn across the feild.
I am also looking foreward to seeing a lot of "topple-overs" with some of these rickety, top heavy bots. I've sen many bots wround who look really flimsy and "topplable".
Over-all though, the coolest stuff that i wanna see are the domination bots. The ones with wings, or sails that just demolish the piles of boxes to their scoring zone..... Being a driver, i think it is gonna look pretty cool to see that whole wal some toppling down all at once..........*especially if it is toppling the right way:rolleyes: *

Jeff Waegelin
02-28-2003, 02:40 PM
I think we would be a good match for a stacker that goes under the bar. As a "king of the hill" bot, I think that would be our best alliance.

J2Kraatz
02-28-2003, 07:42 PM
Well us being a stacking robot I believe we would want a type of a bulldozer robot like that of team 280's it moves fast and packs a punch.

Jason "J2" Kraatz:p

sanddrag
02-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Based on seeing their robots at the SCRRF scrimmage, I would want to be partnered with 207 Metal Crafters or 974 Nautae Girls. They were both outstanding. As for opponents, I'd like to take on any stacker or any robot with casters.

JVN
03-01-2003, 07:47 PM
Well...
I can't wait to see how things go during these first few weeks...

Based on what I've seen so far-

217 - They'll hit that wall, and spend the rest of the match stacking. Probably one of the best seeding strategies I've seen so far. It seems like even if they are going to get beat to the wall, they can just steal an opponent HP stack, and carry it over. All in all, one of the best bots I've seen.

16 - Just based on that 1st teaser video they have up, they deserve to be here. It is amazing watching their bot zip under the bar, and push 6-7 boxes over the ramp. They are fast! It looks like they'll be able to move large amounts of boxes back and forth with ease.

45 - Seems like the best ramp dominator revealed. If anyone holds the ramp with "brute force" it will be the boys from Kokomo. It's what we don't know about this robot that scares me the most.

68 - Again, amazing. If what they say is true, they can simply STOP the flow of boxes from one side to the other. Imagine them paired with 217 (See above comment). It'd be an amazing alliance.

233 and 180 - Even if these two bots don't stack... I think they'll be great. Never understimate's SPAM's ability to "hit stuff"... this year that seems like a pretty valid strategy. ThinkPink will probably do just as well. They seem like one of the other great, lowriding "hit stuff" bots. I wish I knew more about their drivesystem. I think these two (Especially SPAM) will redefine the title "KOH-Killer"... (*shudders at thought*)

857 and 810 - Both of these robots will do well because they can take stacks, and move them across the bar. At least, I know 810 can, and it looks like 857 will be able to.

236 and 173 - Utility bots. As Joel from RAGE told me, they'll "do the small things that hold a strategy together." Based on the UTC scrimage video, both of these bots will do well. In that video, technoticks zoomed back and forth across the field with impunity, getting involved with a little bit of EVERYONE else's business... always a good thing to be able to do.

121 - Their modularity is their strength. They'd be a good pick for any alliance.

5 - Good for the same reason 16 is.

201 - It's what I don't know about this bot that scares me...

234 - If their "flailer" works, it could throw off everyone. They can "hit" the boxes first every time... I wonder how well it'll work overall as a strategy.

That's all for now.
I saw a lot of great bots, but these are the ones that stuck out in my mind! I can't wait to see how week 1 plays out!

Ash
03-02-2003, 04:17 AM
For once I would like to be WITH team 180 instead of being against them in the quarter/semi/finals-finals.

As for against, I would like to go up against team 267, just because it would be fun to knock 'em over when they are deploying (sorry in advance if we break your bot!).

-Ash

edit

Dang, sorry about that misnumber... It was late when i posted origionally. What I MEANT to type was, I want to break 179 . :D
My apologies to 267.

/edit

Kristen_267
03-02-2003, 08:52 PM
Ahhhh.. you underestimate us.. we will be able to face up to your robot quite well... just you wait...

-Kristen from team 267

Clanat
03-02-2003, 10:32 PM
I would probably want a good stacker as a teammate, being an under-the-bar stacker. It would be a good combo for getting LOTS of points. If needed, we could even make small stacks for good stackers to pick up and stack quickly.

If I thought the king of the hill bots would have a big impact (I think they won't) I would want one of them on my team.

Looking forward to nats, see you all there.

Clark Gilbert
03-03-2003, 11:58 AM
45 - Seems like the best ramp dominator revealed. If anyone holds the ramp with "brute force" it will be the boys from Kokomo. It's what we don't know about this robot that scares me the most.

Check out the robot gallery :D

As for a partner any team that can limbo and stack would be perfect for us. Also anyone who can stack and beat us to the ramp would be good for us.

Ricksta
03-03-2003, 12:40 PM
if 151 is the super rubber coated king of the hill bot. thed be a good partner. also 190's strafing robot would be crazy good for stack defense. thanks for the comliment john n. maybe we'll get a chance to ally. 229 is modular too right? mods are the way to go for strategy.

skitz547
03-09-2003, 10:09 PM
I am from 547 and i think that 868 and ourselves would be awesome after watching the St.Louis regional we just came back from, we can get the whole wall at one time and they can stack at least 6 high we witnessed, they were responsible for scoring over 340 something odd points during their match with rookie team 1098 which got turned over during the first 30 seconds. awesome!!!