PDA

View Full Version : Do you all have problems with....


Munkaboo
02-27-2003, 10:19 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if you all had problems with getting people motivated to get involved in the online community... out of our team, I would guess maybe a tops of 3 people have posted here, even after many meetings we tell them to go to these forums. Heck, weeks after I got our forums up I got big "What the heck?" faces from people when I told them they should go to our forums for the latest news...

Do you all have problems with getting people motivated?

I should add to this post: Problems getting people to meetings

DOUBLE EDIT: Holy crap I cant believe i posted that in the technical forum, my bad :yikes:

Triple edit: nevermind, im an idiot.

David Lantz
02-27-2003, 10:24 PM
Same here. Untill recently I didn't register for the forums, but checked them daily. However, our team doesn't seem to enthused about this. Oh well their loss.

f22flyboy
02-27-2003, 10:25 PM
I would think a very frequently updated news page, mass e-mails, and forums, combined with a school wireless network and the laptops to use it would get people to start checking the above mentioned for news and updates, but noooooo

We still have to print out tons of flyers, get school announcements, and call people to get them at meetings.

I also can't tell you how many times people have sent me messages on our forums when the answer was posted on the news page of the main site. Not that I mind them asking, but if they just took .0000002 seconds to look they would find the answer.

Koko Ed
02-27-2003, 10:30 PM
We have 41 members listed and I am the only consitent presence here for the X-Cats. Ellery and Sean come around once in a while but the rest just joined to do scouting.
Messageboards are an aquirred taste anyways. And I'm addicted to them so I am naturally drawn here anyways. No one is required to post here BTW.

Munkaboo
02-27-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by f22flyboy

I would think a very frequently updated news page, mass e-mails, and forums, combined with a school wireless network and the laptops to use it would get people to start checking the above mentioned for news and updates, but noooooo

We still have to print out tons of flyers, get school announcements, and call people to get them at meetings.

I also can't tell you how many times people have sent me messages on our forums when the answer was posted on the news page of the main site. Not that I mind them asking, but if they just took .0000002 seconds to look they would find the answer.


Yea, I wish James River would get those labtops :( We would know how to use em :D

But really... our meeting turnouts are usually very unsatisfactory...

Duke 13370
02-27-2003, 10:32 PM
we put so much work into our site, and there are only 13 people that use it and mabye 6 that post. (there are 40 people that are registered and could post whenever they want) People still don't show up to meetings, or show up when there isn't one.:(

argh:(

MBurr-Mecum
02-27-2003, 10:38 PM
I got drawn into the message boards by looking at a picture my co-captain posted. I then realized that I have a moral obligation to my team to be a presence here, because otherwise he would be our team's only representative. THEN what would people think of us?

I do find trouble getting people to meetings, especially new people. They promise they'll go, but then do they show up? Of course not.

DanLevin247
02-27-2003, 10:48 PM
Anybody who's anybody knows that I just about LIVE on these forums. Yes, a few of my teammates have usernames on Chief Delphi...but they never seem to post. I'm very glad I have the privledge to post on these forums, and even speak to some of the users of this forum outside of CD itself. Chief Delpi makes FIRST easier!

Redhead Jokes
02-27-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Munkaboo
I was just wondering if you all had problems with getting people motivated to get involved in the online communityDo you all have problems with getting people motivated?
I should add to this post: Problems getting people to meetings

Up til a month? ago I was the only one from our team posting. Then a student got enthusiastic and I'm tickled with how he's representing our team. Now another couple of students signed up, and tho they haven't posted, I expect they will.

People to meetings are a problem too.

I have another side to that tho. Last year the VP did not choose to take George to competitions cuz he wasn't at many meetings and "didn't do much". This year George, tho not at many meetings, has been hugely instrumental to our team making our chairman's award, our web, designing graphics...He works well with me over email. He can't make the meetings much cuz he's hugely involved with all kinds of things. Last year his talents weren't known and taken advantage of. This year he's been discovered.

Munkaboo
02-27-2003, 11:27 PM
Hrmm, wonder why this was moved here :D

Brandon Martus
02-27-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Munkaboo
Hrmm, wonder why this was moved here :D

Because its a discussion about getting people involved with your website. So it goes in the website forum.

Solace
02-27-2003, 11:47 PM
We have two people who regularly check the forums, but I'm the one who surfs CD instead of doing other more important things. I like to think that I post enough to make up for everybody else.

Stephanie
02-28-2003, 12:24 AM
my team has 7 members registered with CD, though only two of us have ever really participated. i seem to be the only currently active representative on this board (as far as posting goes; we both still skim the boards), while the rest of the team seems to look to us as the authority on what other teams are up to.

we have a couple active members in tigerbolt.

<rant >the lack of participation is somewhat upsetting. email notices are widely ignored, webpage and online calendars are ignored. it is very annoying to be asked things by seven people in one day, and respond every time to "look in the notes that were sent out two days ago" or "look at the calendar on the wall, or on our site"
</ rant>

Kevin Smith
02-28-2003, 09:05 AM
I feel your pain Munkaboo..As much as I try to get people to use the forums, they don't understand/listen. Haha at least they use e-mail and read the news on the website.

Danaca
02-28-2003, 10:19 AM
CRyptonite has 7 different teams working on different aspects of Robotics. Ive tried to make sure that the head of each team watches the boards here.

I have also found the crew heads to be a convenient way to get the message out about meetings. I only have to get in touch with 7 people (less if it isn't a full team meeting), and they do the rest.

iBob
02-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Ya, our team has few people registered for CD, I am the only one who surfs it on a regular basis and posts. Of course I've made great strides this year in getting our team members to check out our site. I've put lots of content and since our team grew (from about 12 to 32 this year) the website is an easy way to keep in touch. Of course it seems that it would be, but our message board for members to post on is usually only used by a few people and then only for stupid things, most things have nothing to do with our robotics issues. O well, i like to think at least some of my team reads our calendar...

Vincent Chan
03-01-2003, 12:06 PM
I think we have about three kids who browse CD, two that post, and one more kid that only posts for help.

As far as our own website goes, no one really checks the calendar or posts anything in the forums. We can hardly even get any semblance of a webmeeting going.

DanLevin247
03-01-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Stephanie
my team has 7 members registered with CD, though only two of us have ever really participated. i seem to be the only currently active representative on this board (as far as posting goes; we both still skim the boards), while the rest of the team seems to look to us as the authority on what other teams are up to.

we have a couple active members in tigerbolt.

<rant >the lack of participation is somewhat upsetting. email notices are widely ignored, webpage and online calendars are ignored. it is very annoying to be asked things by seven people in one day, and respond every time to "look in the notes that were sent out two days ago" or "look at the calendar on the wall, or on our site"
</ rant>

That's interesting, mainly because my entire team consists of 7 members. In fact, several of the accounts that "members" of 247 have should be deleted, as they have since quit, or left our team. Ever since I found out about TigerBolt, it was great, untill it started giving me problems whenever I would try to sign in, it would go haywire on me. Thankfully, about 2 months ago, Tigerbolt began to work again for me. Also, as of about 1am this morning, my teammate, Kyle "tried" to get into the tigerbolt fun, but hi s computer seems to be giving him the same guff it gave me.

Petey
03-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Munkaboo
Hey, I was just wondering if you all had problems with getting people motivated to get involved in the online community... out of our team, I would guess maybe a tops of 3 people have posted here, even after many meetings we tell them to go to these forums. Heck, weeks after I got our forums up I got big "What the heck?" faces from people when I told them they should go to our forums for the latest news...

Do you all have problems with getting people motivated?

I should add to this post: Problems getting people to meetings

DOUBLE EDIT: Holy crap I cant believe i posted that in the technical forum, my bad :yikes:

Triple edit: nevermind, im an idiot.

yeah, tell me about it. Disregarding recent inexplicable problems with our site, www.theforceteam.com is a pretty good site I think with loads of interactivity, and barely anyone posts on the homepage or on the forum.

--Petey

Raven_Writer
03-03-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm the only one who constantly posts on the board, but we have a few that have joined. Matt and Dave... post a bit too. Our board has 5 real members, and I'm the only one who's posted on it. Our meeting turnouts are pretty good though.