PDA

View Full Version : hooking up sensors to controller?

Oakridege_665
01-21-2002, 12:10 PM
This may have already been asked before but how I supposed to hook up the sensors so the robot can receive data from them? I thought all we had to do was solder the wires to an adapter and hook it up to the RC. One of the engineers was talking about hooking it up to a ciruit and something about and amplifer. Even if I was wrong, isn't what he is suggesting more then needed?

bigqueue
01-21-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Oakridege_665
This may have already been asked before but how I supposed to hook up the sensors so the robot can receive data from them? I thought all we had to do was solder the wires to an adapter and hook it up to the RC. One of the engineers was talking about hooking it up to a ciruit and something about and amplifer. Even if I was wrong, isn't what he is suggesting more then needed?

What sort of sensors are you talking about?

I believe the sensors that come in the kit are described in the specification. Their connection to the A/D port is also described in one of the section.

On the other hand, if you are talking about other sensors....say, something contained in the CUSTOM CIRCUIT, then you can do alot with amplifiers and such. That is what the word CUSTOM refers to.

Please explain in a little more detain and I'm sure I will understand.

Thanks,
-Quentin

bigqueue
01-21-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by bigqueue

Please explain in a little more detain and I'm sure I will understand.

Ooops...detain should have read detail.
(sloppy fingers get me every time!) :(

Oakridege_665
01-21-2002, 12:41 PM
I am talking about the ones that came in the kit. I am trying to do this blind, I'm not sure where the specifications are. We may still have them or they may be lost.

diego25
01-21-2002, 01:54 PM
Find the FIRST manual, and towards the end, it will tell you how to hook up each sensor (i.e. which wire goes to which pin). Then head over to innovationfirst.com/FIRSTRobotics/ and download the Control Systems Manual. There it will tell you the PBASIC variables that you have to use to get values from the sensor.

Diego

Warren Boudreau
01-21-2002, 01:55 PM
Here's what you'll need.
1) Section 2.0 of the robot.pdf file. It was erroneously omitted on the initial release, but they have since posted it. Section 2 outlines all of the eletrical requirements for your robot.
2) A copy of the InnovationFIRST Control manual. You can download that from the IFI website. Contained in the document are tables defining the pin definitions for the analog and digital data ports on the robot controller.

Analog inputs included in the kit are potentiometers and the yaw rate sensor. Be careful with the pots, you wire them differently on the robot than you do on the operator interface. Digital inputs are limits switches, pressure switches, and optical sensors.

That should be enough to get you going. Remember to read all of the docs carefully before you power up the first time and make sure you have somebody ready to turn off the circuit breaker.

Good luck, I hope it helped.