PDA

View Full Version : Qotw [03-23-03]: Most exciting match you have seen

Ken Leung
03-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Hey all. Due to the high stress of score keeping at 2 regionals, I had to take a break for last week's question. So, I apologize for this late question of the week. Hopefully, for this week's question you can think of something fun about the competition and take your mind off all the locked threads. Anyway, here it is:

Question 03/23/03: What's the most exciting/interesting match you've seen at your regional, or on webcast?

The answers can be anything from amazing defense by one robot against two, to amazing stack height, to aggressive battle on the ramp, to amazing exhibition of gracious professionalism on the playing field, or whatever matches that stick in your mind the most.

A big reason behind this question is that the best offensive/best defensive awards no longer exist, so hopefully this thread will record down some of the best moments on the playing field for the year 2003.

Even though the regionals aren't over yet, I am hopping this thread will build up as more regionals happens. Only 3 week have pasted since the first regional started, so it shouldn't be that hard to remember what happened at the one you went to, or saw on webcast.

I watched all the matches at the regional I went to, and I got a couple of my mind, but I will wait until people start posting in here.

Have fun!

-Ken Leung

Melissa Nute
03-23-2003, 09:13 PM
In my alliance's second semifinal match..that had to be the most exciting for us...
b/c we were trying so hard to stay on the top of the ramp, along with 79...but at the last minute it seemed that our opponent had knocked us off and climbed on top of 79 which wouldn't have gotten us enough to points to move on.
However, they did manage to push us off by a hair...but a millimeter seperated 79 from them...
The response of our entire alliance made us frantic in a circle on our side of the pits...

philipprogramer
03-23-2003, 09:23 PM
In match #58 at ucf team 762 flipped a robot in autonomous mode then in the middle of the match dragged the robot onto the top of the ramp to score more points.

Also that semi final match was very exciting. Too bad our robot was on the loosing alliance in that match.

Ricksta
03-23-2003, 09:51 PM
"The Zero Match"

At BAE we were in our second match of semis. WE had won the first match by 100 or so. I told our partner early on, that if it seems we are gonna lose, we have to lose big. Well after the auto mode in that second match our drive train decided to throw its chains off. So I turned over to 241 and told them to get zero.

The alliance scored around 85. We scored zero. The way the math worked it, if we would have had 6 points we would have lost. Let me tell you both teams were very confused.

Koci
03-23-2003, 11:52 PM
Match 56 at FL, where team 233 legitimately defended an 8-stack.

Mark Pettit
03-24-2003, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by Koci

Congratulations to you for successfully defending it and thanks to your opponent for trying to kill it!

Joe Matt
03-24-2003, 07:44 AM
Finals 2 at Annapolis. Spark wasn't in it himself, but the drama of seeing MOE tip over and the robots trying to get up on the ramp by it's broken arms, that was a great match.

http://www.soap108.com/2003/movies/md/md_fm2.asf

157#1Driver
03-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Most exciting was when our team was in the semi's against RAGE. I know their parner was down, but it was just so exciting beating the ntaional champs of last year. RAGE is very very good this year. Def watch out for them in Nats. Good job 173!

Joe3
03-24-2003, 09:54 AM
The most exciting match that I didn't see this year included my robot, GeroniMOE. It was in semifinal match 2.2 at the chesapeake regional. It started off with GeroniMOE taking out 3/4 of the wall in auton mode. Then, when the operator control period started, we started stacking right away. We built a 4 stack from scratch (man is that beautiful watching this robot work). Then, with 10 seconds left we dropped the stack and dashed to the ramp. The robot from the other alliance shot down the ramp and hit the stack just as time expired. The stack shook, teetered and tottered as the refs waited to see how it would turn out. When it stood, the crowd went absolutely crazy.

David.Cook
03-24-2003, 10:39 AM
Disclaimer... of course, the most exciting matches always seem to be the ones your 'bot is involved in.

At NASA/VCU Sparky was having a great run... we hadn't really run into many problems, but in the semis we were playing in a close match, and Sparky was on its way to cement the win by taking out the opponent's 3-stack. Our stacks were down and the bin count was relatively close, so we had to take out the stack and get on top. If you haven't seen Sparky in action I must explain that because of the power of the drivetrain Sparky pops a 3-4" wheelie when it starts forward from a stop. Our driver, Scott, was maneuvering into position near the far railing to take out the 3-stack when the wheelie takes Sparky up onto the 3" angle iron on the side of the field. For the first time all week we were totally stuck! We watch in horror as Scott tries to dislodge the 'bot, to no avail, for about 20 seconds. I remember thinking, "oh well, we had a great run all tournament." So with about 15 seconds left, Scott manages to pop the wheelie and turn just enough to get off the rail. He proceeded to plow Sparky into the 3-stack, and with only a few seconds left, he turns the 'bot perfectly, zips up the ramp and comes to a perfect stop right on the top as the announcer was finishing the 3-2-1 countdown. You can imagine the joyous shout that erupted from our team in the stands as we realized we had gone from elimination to a win in a very few seconds.

Thanks for bearing with me. I like this thread very much. I think it is great to hear the stories of different matches that teams have to relate. In the regionals I have attended and the webcasts I have seen there have been many outstanding plays by the teams.

Congrats to everyone who fielded a 'bot in a tournament!

Chris
03-24-2003, 11:41 AM
I vote that the best match I have seen this year is at BAE, team 213 stole a four stack from the other alliance, carried it over the ramp "yoinking" it and then proceeded to add two more boxes (one of which was broken and made the stack hang precariously) And they perfectly let it go at the end. for an awesome round.

Note: My post does not start with when my team did this...or that....I think Ken's Intention was for us to talk about other teams and not try to increase our own teams image.

Chris
229 Coach/Strategy Head

Jim McGeehin
03-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Most exciting match (and it fits the disclaimer) is Annapolis Quarter Final 2.2, with the 69/68 heartstopper that had the judges went back to recount it twice because it was so close.

Ken Leung
03-24-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Chris

Note: My post does not start with when my team did this...or that....I think Ken's Intention was for us to talk about other teams and not try to increase our own teams image.

Chris
229 Coach/Strategy Head

If people aren't allowed to talk about a match their robot was in, I think there would be a lot less answers. So, how about, everyone is allowed to answer one match with their robot in, and another match without their robot.

After all, people may most attention to their own matches, and are the best ones to describe them.

So, try to think of matches your robot wasn't part of, but if you really think one of your matches was the most interesting/exciting you've seen at the competition, feel free to post it.

Joe3
03-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Ken L
If people aren't allowed to talk about a match their robot was in, I think there would be a lot less answers. So, how about, everyone is allowed to answer one match with their robot in, and another match without their robot.

After all, people may most attention to their own matches, and are the best ones to describe them.

So, try to think of matches your robot wasn't part of, but if you really think one of your matches was the most interesting/exciting you've seen at the competition, feel free to post it.

Answering with a match without my robot in it would be impossible for more than a few people I'm sure. I, for example, was busy in the pit and only saw the matches that our robot was in.

D.J. Fluck
03-24-2003, 02:10 PM
I havent gotten a chance to see many matches this year, but my favorite event from a match is during the quarter finals at Pittsburgh. We were up against 322 and 49 and 322 pushed us down the ramp and wedged under us and had our robot at an almost 90 degree angle.. in the players station Baker was yelling "Drive over them!! Drive over them!!" So Austin did just that, he drove over them and prevented us from tipping. After that we went to try to pick up our tipped partner who was angled on the rail, but failed to do so.

BillyGoats
04-11-2003, 08:58 PM

Yahoo! team 61 and 233 with a raw score of 233! it was a great match... if you want to see a good match i recommend you download this match. The 8 stack was hit twice and it still stood... i don't know how but it did watch the match

Yan Wang
04-11-2003, 09:04 PM
The MOE one was very good, but the best I've seen was when we put both our alliance partners out during quarterfinal match 2 in Canada.

No one hit the stack in auto and then 314 started going slowly up the ramp.

The flipped when the stack came tumbling and all hope was lost for the alliance because we won by not a large maring.

783 worked well to knock some stacks over and then went to the ramp and pushed 314 upside down on top of the HDPE.

A few sec later, an opposing robot pushed it off and it almost flipped themself when 314 got hooked a little into the mesh. 314 flipped over and the stadium went nuts.

They got up top with 783 and bam, game over for their alliance.

The vid is Quarterfinal 3.2 in the Canada Videos 2003 link in my profile. No sound (taken on my digital camera) and very shaky cause of all the screaming. I have a VERY good copy on tape that was taken very well on a $1500 camera that zoomed so freaking steady. I'll try to get that up asap.

Cory
04-11-2003, 10:02 PM
I'm going to write about one my team was in simply because I havent seen many that we werent in.

At SVR, we were allied with 115. We had been continually flipping throughout the day, so we werent sure what was going to happen. I dont remember what happened in autonomy, but around 15-30 seconds into the match we started to drive up on a box. We got to a point where we were resting perfectly on the back of our robot at a 90* angle. We asked 115 to come over and push us so that we would be righted again. They drove over, hit us at full speed, and we quite literally flew a few feet. We landed perfectly on the bottom of our robot on top of another box. They hit us again and we finally had our wheels on the floor. We thought we were going to lose, so we went and took out an opposing stack of 2-4(dont remember). We all headed for the ramp at the end. 115 got on, and we were pushing against another team to get on next to them. We were continually on and off the ramp, so we decided to push the other team all the way off to give us enough space to not be touching 115 incase we didnt end up on the ramp. As the clock expired, we came off of the ramp. As we sat there waiting for the scores to be posted, we realized that we were actually hanging over the mesh, balanced on two wheels and part of the opposing alliances robot. We got the 25 points and won by quite a bit...If only we hadnt taken their stack down.

I was absolutely amazed after that match:D

Cory

LizJJury
04-14-2003, 12:37 PM
it was during a match at west michigan. our team, 902, was going against chief delphi and they managed to flip us over...the first to be able to do that...our aliance partner came and flipped us back over adn we flipped chief delphi over and they couldn't get up...very exciting....weveral others too but the bell just rang for next hour.

utishpenguin
04-15-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by LizJJury
it was during a match at west michigan. our team, 902, was going against chief delphi and they managed to flip us over...the first to be able to do that...our aliance partner came and flipped us back over adn we flipped chief delphi over and they couldn't get up...very exciting....weveral others too but the bell just rang for next hour.

wow all that happening in a few minutes?! exctinig.... our robot wont flip over when its on its side or "face"... but it coudl serve as good road block for the opposing team....but then it was only in one round....

18voltMilwauke
04-15-2003, 10:26 PM
the worst one was with team 9 us and 68 in the semifinals 1 match 2 at the end when u watch its heart breaking.
http://www.soap108.com/2003/movies/gal/
click on it and go the bottom and click on gal sf1m2.asf

viper
04-27-2003, 04:04 AM
the most exciting match of course that ive seen is with our own robot..
i was in the pit most of the time, so i wasnt able to watch any other matches...and the only times i did,
i was controller

so..
----------------
as we were up (492, 368)
against the soon to be #1 seeded team(233) at seattle, 492 decided to try their Awesome auto mode, in which they go straight back at full speed to take out the opponent's auto

i must say, that it worked perfectly, allowing our robot to get up to the top first.(they took out 233)

233;s auto worked awesome in other matches and we were very afraid of their auto interfering with ours.(they take out 3-4 middle stacks)
we were then flying around knocking around boxes for quite a while till it came time for the rush to the top

233 and their teammate (i forget sorry) get up on top, and so do we.

492 is fighting another team, and we are about to lose.

in the last 5 seconds 492 makes a mad dash up, and somehow makes it ontop of the ramp

if u do not know, 492 has 6 wheels...

a good part of their robot around...a 4th of their robot is off, and we thought we lost..
the crowd went wild when they saw that the robot was actually still ontop, 2 wheels hanging off, balancing barely on 4

now THAt was awesome..
(i think that match had somthing to do with getting picked by 233 in the finals..)

Devin L.
05-21-2003, 05:36 PM
in my opinion i would have to say the match with us and 781 against 121 and 188. it was during nationals in the curie division. we decided to go for a zero score strategy and didnt run our auto. 121 and 188 came down the ramp in auto. and 781 and us were still in the starting corners. after the 15 sec. 121 came over and wedged under our robot while 188 was ramming into 781, preventing them from helping us(by the way 781 couldnt go under the bar). 121 was ramming us up against the rail and we couldnt get off of their wedge. we got stuck when they lifted up their pneumatic top thing and we were vertical. we eventually got flipped with about 30ish sec left and then finaly 781 got out of the corner and almost knocked over a 6 stack but couldnt do it. we almost lost drasticaly with a score of about 160 to 8. but 121 got called for intentionaly flipping us and we won with a score of 8 to 0.
good times...
i suggest u watch the match at http://www.soap108.com/2003/movies/cur/cur_qf3m2.asf