PDA

View Full Version : Who doesn't want to be an engineer?

Marygrace
04-17-2003, 12:23 AM
I always hear about people wanting to be engineers, and that that is what FIRST is promoting but, what if we don't. Personnally, i want to be an astronomer. I want to see what else people want to be besides an engineer.

Kristina
04-17-2003, 12:49 AM
Sean330 linked me up to this thread because it's "totally my thread". And yes it is...

Right now I'm majoring in Political Science with an emphasis on International Relations or American Politics and maybe minor in public policy. That's what I love and I want to be a lawyer (no lawyer jokes, I already get them enough) or politics would be really cool too.

I think it's really important to bridge the gap between science and other subjects and FIRST did that for me. How are policy makers going to regulate technology if they don't have a basic understanding of it? How can judges ban certain scientific practices if they don't know what it is? They can't, science is everywhere and important. I think a lot of non-future-engineers get prejudiced in the FIRST program but its important for everyone to get a chance to be exposed. We're important too and bring a new perspective and gifts to each team. I know that I have such a great appreciation of science and technology through FIRST and have learned so many other applicable things for my future too.

Marygrace
04-17-2003, 12:51 AM
I completely agree, like most of the scholarships offered are for if you want to be an engineer. What about the rest of us?

Sean_330
04-17-2003, 12:54 AM
I have no desire to be an engineer. I want to go to law school at Pepperdine and study law with an emphasis in criminal law Someday, I hope to become an assistant DA.

If I do not get into law school (or find no way to pay for it), I want to become a police officer, hopefully for the LAPD, and later get promoted to a detective.

However, I still love FIRST and all the wonderful work it does. At FIRST you learn about building teams and building robots is only a small part of that team.

Koko Ed
04-17-2003, 07:22 AM
I still want to be an animator or a graphic designer and I am going to school for just that purpose in spite of my age.

Marygrace
04-17-2003, 11:02 AM
I always here about people wanting to be Engineers and FIRST always supports engineers but what if we don't want to be one? I personally want to be an astronomer. Does anyone else in FIRST no want to be an engineer?

WakeZero
04-17-2003, 11:09 AM
Although FIRST does inspire engineers, what FIRST actually does best is inspiring students to realize they can do whatever they set their minds to. Be an astronomer if that is what is truly in your heart ;)

Tyler Olds
04-17-2003, 11:16 AM
I personally would like to be a digital animator. However engineering is always a good back up plan.

Chris Nowak
04-17-2003, 11:34 AM
How about this: I have absolutely no clue what I am going to do.

Adam Y.
04-17-2003, 11:53 AM
How about this: I have absolutely no clue what I am going to do.
Lol all I know is that I want to become an engineer. Beyond that I really do not know what type.

Adam Y.
04-17-2003, 12:01 PM
I think it's really important to bridge the gap between science and other subjects and FIRST did that for me. How are policy makers going to regulate technology if they don't have a basic understanding of it? How can judges ban certain scientific practices if they don't know what it is? They can't, science is everywhere and important. I think a lot of non-future-engineers get prejudiced in the FIRST program but its important for everyone to get a chance to be exposed. We're important too and bring a new perspective and gifts to each team. I know that I have such a great appreciation of science and technology through FIRST and have learned so many other applicable things for my future too.
I know I remeber someone talking about this before on television. I think it was a former astronaut that said how important it is for politicians to be informed about science and technology. I think he is in the house or senate. I really do not remeber.

Amanda Morrison
04-17-2003, 12:29 PM
I was talking with Ken Leung about this a couple nights ago, so here's my thoughts.

I don't like building robots. That being said...

Once I got into FIRST, I realized that not only do I have no technical skills but also no desire to go into engineering, science, mathematics, technology, or teaching. On my first FIRST team, I didn't touch the robot save for tightening a screw (even that's iffy). That was my choice, though - at any moment I could have gotten involved, I just chose not to. I'm attending Ball State University, which has no offered engineering program, and my major is English (focus on Rhetoric and Composition, not teaching).

Even though since I've come to college I've helped start another team, it's kind of ridiculous for someone with this much against them to be in this program. As a mentor, a lot of times I come home feeling discouraged because I can't effectively mentor kids in engineering. Ask me to grade a paper or proofread the Chairman's Award, and I'm on it. Ask me for an adjustable Allen wrench (as my mischevious kids did), and I'm lost. Of course, though, the majority of kids that you have on your team are interested in engineering, programming, etc... and so at times you are a little lost.

I know there are other people out there (more students than mentors, though) who feel the same way I do. Although FIRST is a program for engineering and related fields, other areas of study sometimes get the shaft. That's okay, though. There's nothing that says because I am an English major that I can't start another FIRST team.

FIRST is an excellent program, and I'm still looking to start new teams to enthuse more kids. The fact of the matter comes down to this: No matter what you are interested in, you can always encourage others.

KenWittlief
04-17-2003, 01:03 PM
engineering?!

FIRST promotes science and technology - which is very broad and covers many fields.

Personally, when I grow up I wanna be a cowboy

or a FireTruck!

:c)

BionicAlumni
04-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by amandabean

Ask me for an adjustable Allen wrench (as my mischevious kids did), and I'm lost.

LMAO

thats a sig file WAITING to happen.

Redhead Jokes
04-17-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Koko Ed
in spite of my age.

*curious*

Having experienced multiple chapters in my life already.

Adam Y.
04-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Ask me for an adjustable Allen wrench (as my mischevious kids did), and I'm lost.
Heheheh. I can tell you it is very fun fooling around with people's minds that are not mechanically inclined. My mother tried reading my electronics book and she asks me if there is a translator for it.

Redhead Jokes
04-17-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by wysiswyg
Heheheh. I can tell you it is very fun fooling around with people's minds that are not mechanically inclined.

*grumble grumble* Yeh, that's what one of the co-captains tries to do with me.

:p I have my ways of playing with his mind too.

Amanda Morrison
04-17-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by KenWittlief
engineering?!

FIRST promotes science and technology - which is very broad and covers many fields.

Whoa... I guess I stated that wrong. Sorry.

What should have been said:

A lot of mentors on FIRST teams (I'm kind of being broad and leaving team mom's out - but believe me, I don't appreciate them any less) are engineers, and as a result, a lot of kids that enter or graduate from a FIRST program want to go into a career in engineering, mathematics, science, or technology because of the demonstrations of engineering they have seen.

I am an English major. When I walk into a FIRST meeting, it's kind of a "Past Participle? Gerunds, anyone?" :)

Redhead Jokes
04-17-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by amandabean
(I'm kind of being broad and leaving team mom's out - but believe me, I don't appreciate them any less)

:D

They can turn into Mint Mentors!

eko7385
04-17-2003, 03:56 PM
I think I'm going to major in Chemistry next year. Fire is fun

ryanspensley
04-17-2003, 04:13 PM
My main interest is music. I do part time DJing and stuff like that so I'm always watching that sort of stuff at the competition besides driving. I have a big interest in the new intelligent lighting. Don't take this wrong though, I still love FIRST and everything that goes along with it.

ellenchisa
04-28-2003, 05:52 PM
I've never really thought about engineering...I guess I was leaning more towards physician or something with literature... but it can always change =)
I kinda don't like how I say I'm on a FIRST team and people go "OH, so you want to be an engineer"...becuase not everyone here wants to be!

Kyle
04-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Before I was involved wit FIRST, this is my first year, I was, and still am, interested in going into the medical field, but now after going to our team meetings and the regionals and Nat's and watching our team engineers I am now not sure what I want to do there are so many great things to do in each field, i guss only time will tell what I will do.

ZACH P.
04-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Kyle
Before I was involved wit FIRST, this is my first year, I was, and still am, interested in going into the medical field, but now after going to our team meetings and the regionals and Nat's and watching our team engineers I am now not sure what I want to do there are so many great things to do in each field, i guss only time will tell what I will do.

what about biomechanical engineering? chemical engineering? civic engineering? there are so many facets to the field of engineering that most people can find a part that they are interested in.

RBrandy
04-28-2003, 09:27 PM
I wanna go in to mech engineering, but want to stay in school, untill I get the PhD, stay in school some more, and teach mech eningeering at the college level. I think that would be a good time, minus all the school stuff.

SkitzoSmurf
04-28-2003, 09:56 PM
i want to go into some sort of media type of deal, radio tv, computer, anything. My dream is to work in the music biz, I just love music, can't make it, but I love it

yangotang
05-05-2003, 03:48 PM
not to mention that there's also CS and IT to look into :D

pauluffel
06-02-2003, 03:28 PM
I used to be gung-ho about growing up and designing robots as a famous engineer, but after starting and leading a team of my initially clueless fellow classmates into being brilliant robot-builders, I"m no longer interested in making up new things. I now plan to be a teacher (and I'm working out a plan with my principal right now to come back and teach at my high school when I"m at college) and I"ll probably still work with some of my current classmates when they"re engineers to make them famous.

shyra1353
06-05-2003, 11:15 PM
i have two choices, neither one of them is engineering, or even engineering related. they are either medicine or law. two very different fields, i know. and i dont want to do a combination of the two. if i go into medicine i want to work in the ER, and if i go into law, i want to be a criminal lawyer.

when i tell people what FIRST is all about, they always look at me and say, "where do you plan to go for engineering?" and every time i tell them i dont want to be an engineer. i like FIRST because it gives me a chance to broaden my interests and try new things, but engineering as a career is just not for me.

Elyse Holguin
06-06-2003, 12:00 AM
for as long as i can remember, i've wanted to get into business. I'm really liking the sound of international business or management so that i can minor in german, since i really like german, and i'm studying abroad for two months this summer over there. (which is sad because i miss IRI and other fun robotics events, not to mention a lot of dance practice and dance camp. laugh all you want- i'm a multipurpose nerd.) anyways, since becoming involved in FIRST, i've decided i want to get involved with an engineering or automotive business, but not as an engineer. (ooh.. german car companies:D) lately, i've also discovered i really like history and politics, so maybe i'll double major with political science.... because that just seems cool.

But see, FIRST really isn't limited to engineering... in most jobs you're going to need to know how to interact with people and communicate well to get something done, and what better way to learn how to interact and communicate with others than in a team environment when we're all working towards a goal? that's the main reason i joined FIRST to begin with.

i give engineers a lot of credit for what they do, but i don't think i could be one myself. i have no patience. :)

GregTheGreat
06-06-2003, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by goosefrom71
for as long as i can remember, i've wanted to get into business. I'm really liking the sound of international business or management so that i can minor in german, since i really like german, and i'm studying abroad for two months this summer over there. (which is sad because i miss IRI and other fun robotics events, not to mention a lot of dance practice and dance camp. laugh all you want- i'm a multipurpose nerd.) anyways, since becoming involved in FIRST, i've decided i want to get involved with an engineering or automotive business, but not as an engineer. (ooh.. german car companies:D) lately, i've also discovered i really like history and politics, so maybe i'll double major with political science.... because that just seems cool.

But see, FIRST really isn't limited to engineering... in most jobs you're going to need to know how to interact with people and communicate well to get something done, and what better way to learn how to interact and communicate with others than in a team environment when we're all working toward a goal? that's the main reason i joined FIRST to begin with.

i give engineers a lot of credit for what they do, but i don't think i could be one myself. i have no patience. :)

I actually agree with you for once Elyse, lol. Even if you are not planning to become an engineer, FISRT still helps you.

Just think of the other parts of first....
Animation
Web-Design
Secretary's
PR Directors

There are so many things that FIRST helps us learn, out side of the engineering field. The most important thing we learn is teamwork. No matter what field you go into, teamwork will be needed.

Josh Hambright
06-06-2003, 12:25 AM
I want to be a music producer. It seems like a pipe dream but its what i have wanted to do for along time. Cuz i figure i'll never make it as a rockstar but i might as well do something, so thats what its gonna be.

But i can always fall back on web design, multimedia stuff, video production, or electrical engineering:)

purplehaze357
06-06-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Kristina
Sean330 linked me up to this thread because it's "totally my thread". And yes it is...

Right now I'm majoring in Political Science with an emphasis on International Relations or American Politics and maybe minor in public policy. That's what I love and I want to be a lawyer (no lawyer jokes, I already get them enough) or politics would be really cool too.

its someone that shares my major...

next year at temple university ill be majoring in Political Science with a minor possibly in Sports Management, so i can become a sports agent. (Study Contract Law when i go to law school)

Now of course I would have loved to have been an engineer but i cant handle the math involved...im not what we call ind in that department.

I think FIRST needs to do something with their scholarship plan to hep the non-engineers out. I know the point is to draw attention to a dying field but there are more than just engineers helping with FIRST. I think a scholarship should be considered to anyone going into a major involving science or technology, or maybe some NEW scholarships that are aimed that way.

Jeff Waegelin
06-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by oneangrydwarf
I want to be a music producer. It seems like a pipe dream but its what i have wanted to do for along time. Cuz i figure i'll never make it as a rockstar but i might as well do something, so thats what its gonna be.

One of my good friends, Stephanie, wants to be a music producer. She was one of the best builders on our team this year, and heavily involved with our design and such, but music has always been her passion, and so she's going to a college down in Nashville to become a music producer.

KathieK
06-06-2003, 11:22 AM
I think the mentoring partnerships between students and engineers is a terrific way to introduce scientific and technical career options to high school students who may not have had much contact with people in those areas. It can be really inspiring. Or you can find out very quickly that it's "not your thing".

One of our biggest challenges in recruiting new members this year will be to show how we need people with a variety of skills and interests to join the team in order to make it successful.

Wanna design, build or drive a robot? GREAT! Wanna design, write, produce a videotape of the team or a brochure or a fundraising letter? GREAT! Wanna design and make giveaway buttons? GREAT!

So while FIRST may have been created to inspire students to look at careers in the sciences, it has a lot of impact in other fields, too!

Jordan
06-06-2003, 03:43 PM
I'm going to be a political communication major at The George Washington University in the fall. You can't get much farther from engineering than that.

I've been around FIRST for nine years, been with my team for four, and captained the team for two. But engineering just wasn't for me.

However, FIRST has given me more experience than anything else I ever could have done (and it has its own politics ;)). And I think that GW noticed me because of my background in "technical" extra-curriculars. A friend of mine knows kids with better academics than me that have not gotten into poli-comm at GW.

Or I'm crazy. But that's my input.

--Jordan

Kristina
06-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Jordan
However, FIRST has given me more experience than anything else I ever could have done (and it has its own politics ;)).

Oh my goodness, yes! All of my friends make fun of me because I want to go into politics and I tell them just to look at what our team was like. I remember delegating committees, having team leaders, trying to please as many people as you could, compromise, dealing with very stubborn personalities, working with school administration, appeasing parents, etc. I did student government for 4 years in high school but I learned more about politics (and the fact that I could hack it) in my one year with FIRST.

jrgrim12
06-06-2003, 08:28 PM
What about apprenticeships?? I went through a tool and die apprenticeship and I love what I do now. Plus I get to machine things all day long. There are all sorts of apprenticeships out there and the best thing is they're FREE. You get paid to learn how cool is that. Pluse every job that has apprenticeships have a great job outlook. ( www.dol.gov ). Apprenticeships it's the college alternative!!!

J Flex 188
06-07-2003, 02:50 PM
this has probably been said.. but FIRST also helps in facets that you wouldnt think be associated with engineering or mechanical situations.

when looking for sponsors, creating proposals/presentations, budgeting, and speeches all are non-traditional but very beneficial experiences for anyone not going into engineering, but also engineering since it requires teamwork and responsability anyways

angier314
06-12-2003, 08:54 PM
i want to be a veterinarian

utishpenguin
06-25-2003, 01:57 PM
i am deciding between these professions"

-dentist
-chef / nutrition
-doctor
-hotel management

has anyone heard of a type of person called "glue". this person doesn't have aan area interest but instead a wide variety of areas.....

Alex Salomonsky
06-25-2003, 10:09 PM
I thought i wanted to be an engineer, but i got this mentor from ODU who showed me all this stuff and things i would need to become one, and right now i find some of the things boring and don't want to spend my life doing that. I'm the "unconventional nerd" on my team for the reason i'm such a huge sports (mostly Football, baseball, and hockey) fan and i want to be involved in sports, whether a player or in the front office. I'm training right now to go out for my schools baseball team as a pitcher which starts after building season next year. I love this competition, and the "sports atmosphere" it has, but it's not a huge passion of mine.

chellyzee93
07-05-2003, 03:06 PM
I want to *minor* in ME and Major in business. :)

generalbrando
07-05-2003, 05:06 PM
FIRST is obviously focused on engineering right now because the FIRST Robotics competition is by far the most involving of their programs. I hope one day to see programs from FIRST that are either more universal or more specific to other areas, hence bringing this kind of excitement to all the fields that FIRST encourages. FIRST does encourage other fields than engineering in the way the program is set up.

Personally, I'm probably going for Biology and Computer Science (we'll see how much that changes in 4 years). FIRST Robotics is an asset to anything anyone wants to do, so I have always had a lot of interest in it (not to mention the fact that it's fun!).

piotrm
07-12-2003, 10:07 AM
what is see is people speaking in contradictions; first does indeed seemes to be majorly focused on engineering and as people say it has some mild branching into other areas; and then i read how people want first to involve other things as well; they want first to become "universal"; then they say what they want to do should be covered by first's great and widely ranging opportunities; but the occupations/concentrations people are speaking of (except the person that mentioned "glue") are indeed concentrations; they are the opposites of generality (if that is a word)

there are reasons for focusing on aspects instead of being an extremely wide and far ranging entity; these reasons are why we have different jobs, different skill sets.

if every organization that was made to promote something promoted everything then all we would have is a world full of silly organizations that all do the exact same thing

i'm sure there are programs that promote things that first does not; and first provides opportunities other programs do not; each one has its own niche; not everyone is bend on taking over the world.

i believe expending FIRST too greatly into other areas would destroy what FIRST is.

---

as for myself i can't ever decide what i want to do; not because i hate everything but because everything (almost) interests me greatly; i am already in college and still can't quite decide on exactly where i wanna go; i have put myself on the computer science track as my initial "vector" but have a feeling it isnt going to last long; perhaps i am falling a victim of a certain lack of focus... even in computer science there are different "sub"-fields that one might take (if the plan is to becomes sufficiently advanced); its kinda of hopeless...

ngreen
07-13-2003, 02:07 AM
K-State's Dean of Engineering said something at freshman oreintation that really reminded me of FIRST. Engineering is a field where communication, teamwork, and people skills are vital. Without them, and the desire to improve human lives, engineers would just be scientist. Not that scientist are bad by any means. They are actually very important to the technical group. But he emphasized how important it is to not only become technically sound, but also to be able to communicate and work together.

Think about FIRST. The teamwork. The communication. We are engineers in FIRST. We may not become professional engineers (I plan to become a ChemE), but the skills and desire that engineers need to be successful can carry over into many fields. FIRST breeds people to become good engineers, because people with good communication and teamwork skills are successful people. And Dean as a engineer of sorts, constantly try to instill the engineering thought process of improving society in whatever you may do. To leave the world a better place than when you came into it.

So you may not choose to be a professional engineering but whatever you choose to do, be an engineer. Use your team and communication skills, and help to make this world a little better place.

That's my plan at least. I'll find out in August. BS in ChemE, the possibly MBA, MS in ChemE, or slim chance law school(patent lawyer)

Amanda Aldridge
07-21-2003, 09:57 PM
FIRST is an incredible experience for anyone who's interested in anything. Engineer? Got that in spades. Public Relations anybody? (my major, hehe) Graphic Design? IT? Even Political Science...someone has to liason with our allies. I would, however love to see many more scholarships that don't have the engineering stipulation attached. I would've loved to apply for a FIRST scholarship, and quite possibly could've had a chance at winning one, but I didn't qualify for any, due to the fact that I am dead-set on going to Purdue, but I am a Communications major with a Public Relations emphasis and a minor in Women's Studies. Hmmm... I think all of the college students need to talk to their schools about offering non-engineering FIRST scholarships, and also that FIRST needs to actively solicit them.

my $.02

Marygrace
07-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Yeah, I was thinking of applying for one of the FIRST scholarships when the time came. Well, that was when i first joined the team and didn't know Diddly Squat about FIRST. Our captain at the time told me that practically all, if not all all, of the scholarships offered were for students interested in pursuing a career in engineering. I was dissapointed. I look forward to the day when FIRST offers a large variety of different scholarships for many different career paths.

Aignam
07-23-2003, 06:05 PM
I think most FIRST teams have a place for everyone. Think of each job there is to do and what careers it may relates to, and you can see the diversity a program like FIRST offers. For the future IT majors, you have programming. For the Business majors, there is scouting (organization) and budgeting. For the future Mechanical Engineering majors, you have robot building. The list goes on and on and I'm sure, with a bit of time, one could find numerous more possibilities.

Amanda Morrison
07-24-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Marygrace
Our captain at the time told me that practically all, if not all all, of the scholarships offered were for students interested in pursuing a career in engineering. I was dissapointed. I look forward to the day when FIRST offers a large variety of different scholarships for many different career paths.

That aspect of FIRST isn't fully developed yet... and it might be quite a while before it will be.

I guess now we can just make sure the emphasis isn't on being in FIRST to become an engineer, but instead being in FIRST to become a better person.

JVN
07-24-2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Amanda Morrison
That aspect of FIRST isn't fully developed yet... and it might be quite a while before it will be.

I guess now we can just make sure the emphasis isn't on being in FIRST to become an engineer, but instead being in FIRST to become a better person.

I'm pretty sure the Clarkson FIRST scholarships are for anyone, they are based on HS participation in FIRST and have no "strings attached" for college (except... you need to attend Clarkson, obviously). Clarkson has a pretty good school of business, and a good school of science. So you aren't just limited to enginerding.

John

George1902
07-25-2003, 11:22 AM
There was a similar discussion to this one a couple months ago (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=142284#post142284). Here are a few excerpts from a post I made in that thread.

"In high school, if you really like athletics, you can play football, baseball or such. If you like music you can be in marching or concert band. If you like english you can be in journalism. What is there for the kids who like math and science? Really, there are only so many quiz bowl competitions a kid can handle. So, there's FIRST: an extra curricular activity for cultivating math and science...

I got something totally different from my FIRST experience. To me the spirit of FIRST is all about sharing. During the 6 week build period, you share yourself with the 5, 10, 20, or 50 other people on your team. At the competition, you share your creation with everyone who watches your 'bot play the game. And the whole while we're involved in this concept of sharing called gracious professionalism. So, I took that to heart and decided to share knowlege for a living. I'm in school now to be a high school math teacher."

I didn't have to worry much about scholorships here in Florida (severe teacher shortage + pretty good high school record = George gets to go to school really cheap), but I think it would be good for FIRST if students with other intrests had scholorship opportunities, too. However, we're probably not going to see it anytime soon.

Creating more engineers is what attracts sponsors to FIRST. Creating more journalists, politicians, dentists, veterinarians, cowboys / firetrucks (;)), and teachers isn't.

Ryan Dognaux
07-25-2003, 01:07 PM
I'll probably end up going to college in the hopes of becoming an Animator for Pixar or Disney, maybe a gaming company... or any one who needs an Animator really :) I could also do some drawings on the side or something... using Inventor or CAD.... yea.. that'd be the life :)

Chris Fultz
07-25-2003, 09:52 PM
There is so much more to FIRST tan building a robot. You are learning how to work with a diverse group of people. You are learning to interact with adults and probably spend more time talking with your teachers that are advisors than anyone else in your school. You are learning to be responsible for yourself when you travel with your team to new cities. You must constantly market and sell your team to maintain sponsors, to win awards at events and to recruit new members. You are becoming the leaders of tomorrow by leading today.

No matter where you end up - college, tech school, apprentice, straight to a job - your are going to be a better person from FIRST. And then, you can help inspire someone else by sponsoring a team or being a mentor or leader.

My guess is you will all be great at whatever you do.

Aaron Knight
07-26-2003, 06:44 AM
Personally, I have neither the mentality nor the ingenuity to become an engineer, nor a real desire to.

I will begin at Syracuse University this fall, double major in History and Computer Science.

I like programming and web stuff, but I also like liberal arts :D.

Plus, staying local means I should be able to stay w/891 :)

Servo888
02-15-2004, 10:16 AM
I find most engineering work boring... I can't stand it!

I am planning on going into computer science type stuff; thouogh since most jobs went to india, it's hard to find a good paying job.

So in the end I'll try to work for the FBI, or any kind of armed service as a technology expert... I don't really know these days. I really don't want to work in general... I hate having a boss, I hate having to do stuff I don't really want to do...

That's why I enjoy FIRST, because I get to do something that I like, which is building stuff, as well as try out different 'jobs.' Some programming, some building, and some engineering.

guess that's my 2 cents,

cheers

Nick Mac
02-16-2004, 10:54 PM
I'd really like to be involved with political science. Either writing columns as a journalist or being a political analyst. Thats just the stuff that really interests me. I've never been good at math or anything so I searched for something that interested me. I like this and I understand it.

fire chaser 134
02-16-2004, 11:04 PM
im kinda interested in engineering but i dont know if i want to do it for a livving. this fall i'm going to school for fire science.

Winged Wonder
02-19-2004, 08:33 PM
i've kinda thought about going into the field of engineering, but it really doesnt seem like something i'd want to do all of my life. there are about a million different things i've wanted to do in my life, from being an astronaut (naturally since i live right by KSC and have seen rockets and shuttles go up all of my life!) to being a linguist to being an artist. i seriously want to be an author of fictional stories though, and i've been told many times since i was in 4th grade that i could publish! ^_^; (i'm thinking about it... but i dont think my work is that good yet!) anyways, FIRST has taught me so much that would be encredebly valuable wherever i end up in life, whether i'm on the moon (or mars!), or in the Air Force flying an F-15 (-devious grin- i love fighter jets!) i'll still use what i've learned from participating in FIRST robotics after i graduate and move on in life. :]

Heretic121
02-19-2004, 10:13 PM
i do not want to become one...

want's are as follows

#1 - Game level design (make maps/3d enviorments for games espiaclly first person shooters on PC)
#2 Computer Animation
#3 Game producing (putting together the scripting and events in games)
#4 Game pengine creator (making the app that makes the game run and puts everything in the game)
#5 Proffesional Golfer
#6 Proffesional Surfer (very very far feteched)

*EDIT* i would like to add that i do make maps/3d enviroments for games like Unreal Tournament 2003, Call of Duty, and Return to Castle Wolfenstien

briholton
02-19-2004, 10:35 PM
I always hear about people wanting to be engineers, and that that is what FIRST is promoting but, what if we don't. Personnally, i want to be an astronomer. I want to see what else people want to be besides an engineer.

No worries Marygrace, I'm a physicist and I like building robots. FIRST teaches so much more than just engineering - it teaches problem solving at many different levels, and THAT is true education. It is the ultimate project based learning tool.

_NiKki_
02-20-2004, 03:38 PM
i want to study the history of religion :cool: thats very distant from robotics..well actually i suppose that technology will be needed to uncover new stuff- like archealogical findings..hm...FIRST DOES tie into almost every profession

Neal Probert
02-26-2004, 09:19 AM
Why would you want to be an engineer or programmer when the jobs are going to India and China? As an engineer myself it is getting harder to find jobs and I'm making less money than I used to.

The only people who make more and more money in this country are the greedy rich CEOs, lawyers, big name athletes and entertainment superstars.

That's a very small percentage of the population so essentially America is going to become a feudal state of royalty and peasants. Unless something is done soon about it.

Btw, Delphi has recently announced some tech job cutbacks in order to outsource work to India.

Astronouth7303
03-03-2004, 08:52 PM
I hear skilled trades are doing pretty well. You know, contractors. Things like electritions, plumbers, that sort of thing.

Oh yea, and service jobs aren't going anywhere.

Iain McLeod
03-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Personally I want to be a writer- some sort of fantasy fiction.
If that doesn't work out I guess I'll go for journalist.

Yeah, basically I go around the robotics room and cross out all the spelling errors.

"No, there is no apostrophe in robotic's!!" is a phrase I will often be heard to say.

Andrew Cole
03-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I kind of want to be an auto mechanic but nowadays that seems like a low ranking job and not one to shoot for.

David the bomb
03-03-2004, 11:34 PM
I want to play in the NBA. I want to get myself a nice car, see avatar above^, and a boat. Oh ya. Like that will happen ;)
I will probably end up just being an engineer like my dad.

RiceRobotica
05-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Personally, I'd rather be a teacher than an engineer. I hope to be a chemistry teacher and MAYBE physics if I can understand it more in college. If I get an engineering degree, it would only be to futher understand what I will have already learned to teach, but I wouldn't use that degree to be an engineer and ONLY an engineer. I want to coach FIRST Teams for a very long time, and teaching will take me there. Plus, I just love inspiring those young minds. :rolleyes: I really do, though. I like teaching. :)

dubious elise
05-03-2004, 09:54 PM
well, i feel kinda guilty admitting this, after all of the awesome engineers i've met this year, but i still want to work in the medical field either as a practitioner or a surgeon so that i can do medical illustrations in my free time (if i have any!)

MrToast
05-04-2004, 07:43 AM
I want to rule the universe! :D

I also wouldn't mind being a physics teacher....

MrToast

Mike Ciance
05-04-2004, 08:35 AM
i want to be a writer.

i am not sure exactly the kinds of things i will end up writing, but i know i like to write things. i am already involved in journalism and like that very much. i will be taking courses next year in creative writing, and for my job on the team I do writing.

MOEmaniac
05-04-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm not sure what career path I want to take. But I do know that its either going to be engineering or sales ex. real estate. I love working hands on and using the computer to design stuff. But I also like selling stuff.

I got it now I'll invent stuff and then sell it and become a self-made millionare.

cazbar171
05-04-2004, 08:56 AM
Although I like a little electrical engineering as a hobby in my spare time (a rare occasion), I am currently studying to be a network administrator.

mtrawls
05-04-2004, 09:02 AM
I want to be a lawyer (go on, let lose the dogs of war!)

Although the programmer in me is still intent on my many .plans of world domination. We'll see ...

StephanieWeber
05-04-2004, 09:58 AM
I don't want to be an engineer either. I want to travel. That is all I want to do with my life. I am looking into teaching U.S. Embassy children, specifically in History. The job has all I'm looking for: working with children, great salary, different culture, and the opportunity to meet new people. Hopefully I will get a choice to what embassy I teach at...although the schools are English-speaking, not many of the countries are.

RoteAugen
05-04-2004, 10:17 AM
In all honesty, I did FIRST all four years of my high school experience simply because it was a fun thing to do.

I will be majoring in Political science at St. Anslem's College, and I am already 1/5th done with my International relations minor :)

not sure about what jobs are out there for these majors, but I am definitely not goin into engineering or tech sector

jpsaul7usa
05-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Biochemistry for me. I used to want to be an engineer but I like chem a lot. I do think however that my experience with FIRST and in my engineering class taught me a lot about working with others and professional presentation. I think the lessons learned in FIRST can be applied just about everywhere today. I do still love robotics though, and thus why I'm coming back for the second run at mentoring.

Billfred
05-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Personally, elementary education is calling me.

Although they let FLL teams have elementary kids, right?

MattK
05-04-2004, 04:45 PM
I dont have the math skills to be a engineer.

That said, I would like to either major in broadcast journalism, or poli-sci

jpsaul7usa
05-04-2004, 06:33 PM
I dont have the math skills to be a engineer.

When I read that I wanted to say something encouraging about math not being about skill but just needing some good 'ol fashion hard work, but when I asked the math major in my wing about how he would respond I just had to post it.

"you are a perfect engineer!"

I'm now ready to take flak from all you engineers out there. I hand out with a lot of superior minded math people, and their influence on me has grown. ;p

Honestly though, engineers today use computers and not much math. The difference in school is two or three extra math courses as an engineer or scientist than everyoneone else, at least at my school anyway.

Yan Wang
05-04-2004, 06:50 PM
When I read that I wanted to say something encouraging about math not being about skill but just needing some good 'ol fashion hard work, but when I asked the math major in my wing about how he would respond I just had to post it.

"you are a perfect engineer!"

I'm now ready to take flak from all you engineers out there. I hand out with a lot of superior minded math people, and their influence on me has grown. ;p

Honestly though, engineers today use computers and not much math. The difference in school is two or three extra math courses as an engineer or scientist than everyoneone else, at least at my school anyway.

I disagree completely. What your friend said was sarcastic - don't develop it more. Being good at math has nothing to do with being able to memorize long formulas or being able to calculate fluid movement. Saying you're good a math is a more general thing - it means you are good at problem solving. It means you can take a problem, take what you are given, and figure out a way to use that information to find what you need. In twenty years, I will have forgotten most of this math stuff involving groups or sets or derivative rules. But what I will have retained is a sense of how to tackle problems and skills to engineer a solution. And that problem-solving skill is what's important. That's engineering.

ali_rockon22
05-05-2004, 05:53 PM
I want to become a pychologist or something in medicine. And I am going to join the Navy but not really do an egineering job. This is just a fun thing to do that I call my hobby but it eventually ended up being that school is more of a hobby.

Eugenia Gabrielov
05-12-2004, 06:39 PM
I love FIRST, and before I got into it I wanted to be a surgeon/vetrinarian. However, what it changed for me wasn't my outlook on my career. I want to be a pediatrician of some sort right now, but what FIRST has given me is a better look at my college interests (Biomedical Engineering). I don't think FIRST will change my medical ambitions, but it has already more than helped me to redefine my passion for problem solving and improve my friendships with people on the team and make friends from all over as well. That's my favorite part of FIRST.