PDA

View Full Version : What does your team do to form and develop new rookie teams?

Wayne C.
04-24-2003, 02:19 PM
The title of the thread says it all. I am very interested in how others have recruited new teams and helped them along. In particular- how did you find sponsor companies for them?

WC:cool:

Kevin A
04-24-2003, 02:28 PM
Im not sure about how we find sponsors...
but I do know that we choose 2 schools we want to sponsor, go to them, show videos of the previous years, demo our robots, answer questions, explain that its more than just mechanical hands on stuff...ya know, make it interesting to everybody.

If they decide that they want to join FIRST, then we will go over every monday of the build season and help them out with whatever, and we also invite them to our shop and supplies whenever. We give them our room phone number and email incase they need us. We also point them towards resources, such as CD.

To top it off, some of our team members go out on Friday night for ice cream our whatever, and we will invite them along too.

Hope that helps!

Frank(Aflak)
04-24-2003, 04:37 PM
we made ourselves, and found our own sponor. and built our robot. So we did everything for a rookie team, does that count as helping one?

Gateway Tech (STL, don't know number) was helpful, tho, they offered us the use of their feild (but we couldn't move in time to use it) and the peoples of this forum were most helpful.

Gene F
04-24-2003, 07:39 PM
Our team works with the state school system. We host a statewide seminar early in the school year and present FIRST and an educational program called Project Lead The Way. We take Students, Alumni, Educators, Engineers and Parents. Each one gets a chance to speak to the attendees. We also bring a couple of robots from the previous years. There are presentation on the different aspects of running a team, from funding to Marketing to what it does for the schools. As a result of this effort we had six new teams from SC this year and indications from several more that they would start one in 2004. We have also been hosting the SC state Lego League competition for the last couple of years. This year we worked with USC in Columbia to host the event that 70 teams attended. USC will be taking over the State competition and we will be looking to host a Lego League regional in our corner of the state.

If you have any questions stop by our web site www.metalinmotion.com. Post to our message board or there are links there as well as email addresses if you want additional information.

Mike Ciance
04-25-2003, 09:52 AM
well, Wayne C., i guess you of all people would already know what my team does, but what i plan to do is start a team at whatever college i go to.