PDA

View Full Version : New webhost and domain


CyberWolf_22
05-03-2003, 11:16 PM
Ok I am about to embark on a major project of redoing my teams website. We have to find a new host and I think a new domain would be a good idea (are original is to long). So far in my research I have found two options:

1. www.phpwebhosting.com 9.95 a month (unlimited everything) and the domain form www.godaddy.com for 8.95 a year

2. www.ipowerweb.com hosting and domain for 7.95 a month

Which plan do you guys think is best (were on a pretty low budget).

And has anyone used either of these hosts and have anything to say about them?

Or does anyone know where I can get comprable features for a similar price. (I can't host my own)

jonathan lall
05-03-2003, 11:29 PM
I have a website on ipowerweb that gives me all kinds server errors and apparently tech support isn't great. I wouldn't recommend it...

David Kelly
05-04-2003, 12:52 AM
i use http://hosting.pubarso.com for all my webhosting needs. Brandon helps me with all the troubles that always seem to come up ;)


brandon is the bomb :]

Petey
05-04-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by CyberWolf_22
Ok I am about to embark on a major project of redoing my teams website. We have to find a new host and I think a new domain would be a good idea (are original is to long). So far in my research I have found two options:

1. www.phpwebhosting.com 9.95 a month (unlimited everything) and the domain form www.godaddy.com for 8.95 a year

2. www.ipowerweb.com hosting and domain for 7.95 a month

Which plan do you guys think is best (were on a pretty low budget).

And has anyone used either of these hosts and have anything to say about them?

Or does anyone know where I can get comprable features for a similar price. (I can't host my own)

HOSTING
www.ehostsource.com
$5.75 a month (well, actually, $69 dollars per year)
50 gig transfer
500 megabytes of hosting
email
webmail
webstats
SSL and SSH
Frontpage extensions
php and mySQL
20 subdomains

I host www.toydestruction.com with them--www.theforceteam.com is hosted on my own server--and it's a relatively high traffic site that does great. They'll give you great support, pretty much always within the day and usually within a few hours by email. Whenever I've requested the creation of a mySQL database, they've created it within the hour. I have two Invision Board's, one phpBB, and one pMachine running on Toy Destruction along with several large videos.

The only problem I've ever had was when I wanted to install a program on their server--obviously, they didn't want me to put a third party program on their machine. Other than that, they're absolutely golden.

DOMAIN
www.stargateinc.com or www.godaddy.com both give you a domain name for 8.95 a year. I prefer StarGate--they used to be 7.95 a year. But the good thing about StarGate is you can erase your whois information, which is nice if you're running a personal website or just plain don't want your contact information accessible.

--Petey

sanddrag
05-04-2003, 11:49 AM
I like www.spenix.com for $7.95 a month. It comes with pretty much everything you would ever need and uses Cpanel 5. It even comes with a forum software pre-installed (mine was XMB when I got it and now it says for me to upgrade to phpBB 2.0.2. So I assume if you buy a package right now it will come with the latter. You will want to check on this before ordering.)

For registration I've had no problems with www.powerpipe.com for only $8 per year.

Trashed20
05-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by jonathan lall
I have a website on ipowerweb that gives me all kinds server errors and apparently tech support isn't great. I wouldn't recommend it...

i have our site hosted there and I've never gotten any server errors since we got hosted in August (www.lightningrobotics.com). They are an ok host. I don't like the cpanel, and it was supposed to be upgraded to 5 but all that changed was the title. Custom error pages work though :) It does what it says though and its real cheap. I dug the free domain with registration.

jonathan lall
05-04-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by David Kelly
i use http://hosting.pubarso.com for all my webhosting needs. Brandon helps me with all the troubles that always seem to come up ;)


brandon is the bomb :]
Sadly, we're not on a big enough budget to go for something that good. We're stuck with Aplus, which is so unreliable and incompetent that I won't even grace them with a hyperlink. Cheap though.

As for ipowerweb, I get those errors becaues they have a faulty URL frame ASP... thingy. Lots of 404s. And speaking of custom error pages, their server error page often comes up instead of my .htaccess one.

Yan Wang
05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
www.worldwebhosters.com

jonathan lall
05-04-2003, 08:33 PM
You mentioned them before I think. I was looking at them seriously for a while, but they just seem a bit... too cheap.

jon
05-05-2003, 08:44 AM
I use HASWeb (http://www.hasweb.com). It's extremely cheap, but the hosting is great. I've only had a problem once, when I was setting up the DNS, and it was my own fault, but I sent them an email and it was fixed within a few hours.

The plan I have is now $19.99... a year. That's a VERY resonable price. It includes 200 MB disk space and 4 GB bandwidth a month. Or you can go up a step and get 500 MB disk space and 15 GB a month for $48.00, but the first should be plenty for most, unless you're hosting huge video files or something.

Trashed20
05-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by jon
I use HASWeb (http://www.hasweb.com). It's extremely cheap, but the hosting is great. I've only had a problem once, when I was setting up the DNS, and it was my own fault, but I sent them an email and it was fixed within a few hours.

The plan I have is now $19.99... a year. That's a VERY resonable price. It includes 200 MB disk space and 4 GB bandwidth a month. Or you can go up a step and get 500 MB disk space and 15 GB a month for $48.00, but the first should be plenty for most, unless you're hosting huge video files or something.

I looked into them. that looks real cool. good for personal sites and such. I might have to become a member :D

activemx
05-08-2003, 08:18 PM
best webhosting.. best support www.milescape.com

Yan Wang
05-08-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by jonathan lall
You mentioned them before I think. I was looking at them seriously for a while, but they just seem a bit... too cheap.

I use www.worldwebhosters.com and I can vouch that the uptime is stable and consistent. Everything works fine. The only thing to remember that all the non-reseller plans only have ONE (1) mySQL database. Thereby, that's why I suggest getting the smallest Reseller plan.

It's just $15/month for 5gb disk space, 20gb bandwidth, unlimited mySQL databases, and up to 10 domains supported. Plus, it has unlimited users, lastest PHP, Apache 1.3.x, CGI, Frontpage extension support, and everything else you could want, etc. You can get the $144/year deal...

Or, get the same features but only 1gb space and 4gb bandwidth for $55/year. Very cheap.

Petey
05-09-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by activemx
best webhosting.. best support www.milescape.com

I still say you're getting ripped off. If you can make do with 500 megs of space instead of 1000 but still want everything else you have with those guys for 5.75 a month, www.ehostsource.com is for you.

--Petey

AJ Quick
05-09-2003, 04:19 PM
You guys are looking at some pretty cheap webhosts... and by cheap, I mean cheap. Even if they may offer hundreds of mbs, and gbs, they might not be able to keep up with demand.. or have crappy support, or could take your money and run.

For discussion on webhosts, and to look for competiting bids, check out http://www.webhostingtalk.com/

We use http://www.Krellen.com/ for our website: CogSquad.org and I use http://www.alwayswebhosting.com/ for my personal sites.

Stefan
05-10-2003, 03:48 PM
Umm the people who host my website whsgg.com and circuitrunners.com are good. My teams web site is down though not b/c of "our host" but b/c we have our site on the county's (Our school district) server and its down. We have never moved it to the new one. Right now we have like 145 mb of 1600 X 1200 imgs on it and an index.php which redirect to where the sites is really at.. Our host is sevaa.com but they had to rebuild their site totaly b/c of the data center there at. Auctally server it was on had a big failure and lost like evrything. I know the perosn who operates sevaa.com. I can ask him about rates and what not. If you want.

AlbertW
05-11-2003, 03:27 AM
I currently have a site on phpwebhosting. they're really nice about support and helping me fix stuff, though their system is a bit impersonal, but they're fast and friendly.

frankly, for our robotics site, i have no IDEA where it's being hosted. our school gave us an account, a domain, and a password, and made us pay for it.

ohwell.

Rickertsen2
05-30-2003, 02:07 PM
check out http://findmyhosting.com if your looking for something cheap.