PDA

View Full Version : A Logo.

Josh Hambright
05-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Okay here is what i just made when i was bored in class.

Any suggestions?

Joe Matt
05-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Needs more color and a background piece (like how there is a line and oragne below the CD logo.)

Josh Hambright
05-16-2003, 08:51 AM
Yah i see what you mean.

This is a really rough design that i just threw together out of shear bordom.

Koko Ed
05-16-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by oneangrydwarf
Okay here is what i just made when i was bored in class.

Any suggestions?

What does the " S. N." stand for?

Josh Hambright
05-16-2003, 08:52 AM
Scouting Network.

Notice this is in the FIRST Scouting Network forum...

Koko Ed
05-16-2003, 09:04 AM
Scouting Network.

Notice this is in the FIRST Scouting Network forum...

Ooops. Sorry.
Came in from the front portal.:o

Jeff Waegelin
05-16-2003, 09:58 AM
How about this:

Joe Matt
05-16-2003, 10:29 AM
I'm not diggin' that metal look with the colors in the letters, but that's just me.

jon
05-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by JosephM
I'm not diggin' that metal look with the colors in the letters, but that's just me.

You ain't the only one, I don't care for it much either. And yeah, it really should say "first scouting network", no acronyms. The logo isn't always going to be in this forum you know.

Also, everyone who's anyone should know that SN stands for screenname.

Jeff Waegelin
05-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by jon
You ain't the only one, I don't care for it much either. And yeah, it really should say "first scouting network", no acronyms. The logo isn't always going to be in this forum you know.

Also, everyone who's anyone should know that SN stands for screenname.

What about my logo (3 posts up)? I included the full words "Scouting Network" because I thought the SN abbreviation was confusing.

Josh Hambright
05-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Jeff yours is cool but its hard to read. The border on the Scouting Network is a bit to thick in places and runs together.

Jeff Waegelin
05-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Jeff yours is cool but its hard to read. The border on the Scouting Network is a bit to thick in places and runs together.

Is this better? I lightened the border on the center text.

Kristina
05-16-2003, 12:55 PM
Thought it was time for a female perspective....I really like the last logo that was just posted [as in Jeff's logo that is posted right above this post]. No trying to figure anything out, the words are now clear, and the colors work. But hey, that's just my 2 cents.

Jack
05-16-2003, 02:52 PM
jeff's logo in a gif w/o a background :)

Lindsey
05-16-2003, 08:35 PM
The latest logo is nice, but i think the way the colors match makes the words kind of run together & a little hard to read.

What does it look like if the coloring on Scouting Network is opposite of the coloring on FIRST?
Red, white, & blue top to bottom instead of blue, white, & red

Jeff Waegelin
05-16-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Lindsey
What does it look like if the coloring on Scouting Network is opposite of the coloring on FIRST?
Red, white, & blue top to bottom instead of blue, white, & red

I checked it, but it doesn't look too great. If you really want, I'll post the reversed version, but I think it looks better as-is.

GregTheGreat
05-16-2003, 08:57 PM
What do you guys think of this one.

Stefan
05-16-2003, 09:35 PM
umm.. what do y'all think of this. I saw u guys needed a logo so I came up with this.....
http://whsgg.com/~whs_masterman/img/FIRST%20SN%20copy.jpg

for PSD, GIF & JPG. etc.... IM me on AIM s/n = Scout2005. And I will put it on my apache server.

Joe Matt
05-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Cool dude! I really like the idea of including the FIRST logo.

Jack
05-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Stefan, I like your logo too. Do you think you could do anything to "spruce" up the Scouting Network though?

Also, Anyone else want to take a wack at a logo? :)

Stefan
05-17-2003, 09:33 AM
Hows that ...

David Kelly
05-17-2003, 09:42 AM
how about taking out the "."'s between the letters in FIRST? Thats one of my pet peeves. FIRST doesnt put the "."'s so it shouldnt have them. :]

Stefan
05-17-2003, 09:48 AM
Theres too much empty space with out the dots..... if u got an idea on what to put there and fill in space.... shoot it at me ... we could have mini team logos on it of the team that supply scouting info.....

Jeff Waegelin
05-17-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by David Kelly
how about taking out the "."'s between the letters in FIRST? Thats one of my pet peeves. FIRST doesnt put the "."'s so it shouldnt have them. :]

I agree. The dots are distracting, too. Maybe just space the letters out, or stretch them wider.

Stefan
05-17-2003, 10:26 AM
umm hows that......

Lindsey
05-17-2003, 11:37 AM
Stefan the latest one is awesome!
You have my vote!

Lindsey

I just noticed, there is more space onthe right than the left.

Josh Hambright
05-17-2003, 11:46 AM
The only problem i have with stefans logo is although it would be great for web purposes. If you printed that in any sort of a low res format or in black and white i doubt if it would look as good. We have to take into account that whatever logo we come up with has to look just as good on a website as it does on a scouting sheet that is in its 4th generation off of a cheap photocopier.

Just my 2 cents.

Lindsey
05-17-2003, 11:56 AM
Not too bad in gray scale, just different.

Madison
05-17-2003, 12:20 PM
Simplicity is a graphic designer's best friend. Photoshop filters are the devil incarnate.

Stefan
05-17-2003, 12:30 PM
To print on paper.... All you do is take off the BG and effects on SN lettering.... Shouldn't be that bad to print. And if u still wantd an bg. just use a black outline of it and leav fill white.... On our team shirst all we have it the outline of our circuitrunner....

Koko Ed
05-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by M. Krass
Simplicity is a graphic designer's best friend. Photoshop filters are the devil incarnate.

Hey!:mad:
There's nothing wrong with filters!
Now self-control that's another matter....:p

David Kelly
05-17-2003, 12:41 PM

The purple and maroon look strange. Red, white, and blue would probably look better

Madison
05-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by David Kelly
The purple and maroon look strange. Red, white, and blue would probably look better

While I'm not a fan of the red, white and blue color scheme, as I don't quite understand the necessity of this to mirror FIRST's own logo at all, any analogous color scheme could be substituted for the maroon through navy gradient.

I just have a tendency to work in those colors. Not sure why.

Clark Gilbert
05-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I got bored...

For me the picture actually looks better if you save it to your computer. Not sure why....

Brandon Martus
05-17-2003, 02:49 PM

The logo M did is what I had in mind, but just wasn't motivated enough to whip up real quick.

Madison
05-17-2003, 03:02 PM
Just another idea. This is definitely not a finished product.

SarahB
05-17-2003, 03:07 PM

I really like that one. Its simple, but it has a nice distinctive shape that would look good and be easily recognized even if printed/photocopied in black and white with poor quality.

Kyle
05-17-2003, 04:31 PM

I like it, the only thing is it just doesn't look FIRST related, I think the shape is great its not just a rectangle or square, it is something that stands out and people will remember.

Stefan
05-17-2003, 04:35 PM
How about making the center ball red....... or something red..

Josh Hambright
05-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Why does everyone think everything related to FIRST has to incorperate the FIRST logo.

I think that M's last one is great! Could use some work still but its origional and it would look good printed in different ways and qualities...

FIRST related organizations can use the logo and many do very well so that it looks nice, but its not required...

Think outside the box. or something like that.

Joel J
05-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Just another idea. This is definitely not a finished product. I like the idea behind this logo.. multiple entry points--sources, one destination--sink; however, after seeing one of Jack's selected models, the logo should reflect multiple entry points, in the non-uniform way you do, to multiple destinations all linked together. Anyway, thats just being picky.

What I am really posting about, though, is logo design. Generally before you design a logo, you should determine whether or not you want it to look professional or something else. If you want the logo to look professional, then it should generally lack gradients--though suttle ones are usually ok, embossing, engraving, shadows--but again, suttle ones are usually ok, etc: it should basically be a flat image. Remember, you want the logo to look good in any medium (web, print, etc), and any favoring of one medium (web) shouldn't dramatically change how the logo looks on another medium.

I am not a graphic designer, but most logos that do no adhere to the above rules look.. terrible. Look around and see for yourself.

GregTheGreat
05-17-2003, 05:27 PM
Looks pretty good, although some color, could make it a really Nice logo.

Joe Matt
05-17-2003, 09:10 PM
My idea.

Joe Matt
05-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Yet again with transparent letters.

Jack
05-17-2003, 09:13 PM
I like that JosephM..

//The non transparent letters are better...

Only if there was some better way to place the "scouting network" ;)

also...

I'd like to see another version on M. Krass's logo too :D

Brandon Martus
05-17-2003, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Jack
Only if there was some better way to place the "scouting network" ;)

I'd say adding a white background, with the black 'Scouting Network' text on it would do the trick. Just a single white strip, though. Not the whole thing w/white background.

I'd also like to see more of M's logo.

GregTheGreat
05-17-2003, 11:20 PM
What do you guys think of this one?

Any suggestions?

Sorry the quality came out bad, I had to upload it as a .gif, I had to lower the quality.

KyleGilbert45
05-18-2003, 01:05 AM
here we go.....this only took me a few minutes and its late so i could probably fix it up some......but maybe this will get some ideas stirring....

GregTheGreat
05-18-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by KyleGilbert45
here we go.....this only took me a few minutes and its late so i could probably fix it up some......but maybe this will get some ideas stirring....

I think that is you add a colored background, that one ill look awesome. GOOD JOB!:)

Madison
05-18-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
I'd also like to see more of M's logo.

what more would you like to see? :)

Brandon Martus
05-18-2003, 11:54 AM
what more would you like to see? :)

You said it wasn't a finished product, so I was curious what else you were going to do to it. That is all.

GregTheGreat
05-18-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
You said it wasn't a finished product, so I was curious what else you were going to do to it. That is all.

Ditto, I think it was looking pretty cool.

RogerR
05-18-2003, 12:45 PM
[jumps on bandwagon]

just whipped this out a few min. ago,
couldn't help myself

Hinkel Y.
05-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Kinda plain... It needs more colour... Add some grids on the background, like your heatwave signature banner...

GregTheGreat
05-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by RogerR
[jumps on bandwagon]

just whipped this out a few min. ago,
couldn't help myself

I like the layout. The grids would really spice it up though.

Good Luck to everyone at the invitationals.

Jack
05-18-2003, 04:12 PM
Wow...

I have to say, I'm really impressed with the ammount of logos's that have been created. Until now, I was really unsure how many people were watching this forum or new about this project. This "burst" of responce has really made me to want to keep this rolling :)

I'm going to start some new threads soon dealing more with the technal end of the network & to get other non-tech. type of feed back. I really hope to be able to create a mini-fsn this summer based on the 03 game. This way, we can get suggestions on the layout of the network.

Anyways... Keep the logos coming... They really are looking good. We've got plenty of time, so don't feel rushed. (But, don't take that as a "you don't need to make one" line :p )

Jack

Jeff Waegelin
05-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Jack
Anyways... Keep the logos coming... They really are looking good. We've got plenty of time, so don't feel rushed. (But, don't take that as a "you don't need to make one" line :p )

Jack

Yeah... take it as a "take your time and make it look awesome" line.

D.J. Fluck
05-18-2003, 06:26 PM
You know, Ive seen some pretty awesome logos that people have complained about because "it needs a color background" shouldn't a universal background color be selected first so we can get the bickering about it needs background color or "I dont like that color" out of the way?

IMDWalrus
05-18-2003, 07:06 PM
One suggestion before we worry about color: make two versions of the logo. One in color, and one in black and white without any background.

Madison
05-18-2003, 07:22 PM
As with the others, the colors can be changed in a heartbeat.

This is a simple 3-color logo which should be easy and cheap to reproduce.

Jeff Waegelin
05-18-2003, 07:27 PM
I like it. Could you put "FIRST Scouting Network" under it in regular text, too? Maybe not always as part of it, but say, for the top of the website?

GregTheGreat
05-18-2003, 08:33 PM

This is a simple 3-color logo which should be easy and cheap to reproduce.

I think this would be a good logo for shirts and things of that nature. This would be awesome if you added some more color.

Good Job!!

Madison
05-18-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by GregTheGreat
I think this would be a good logo for shirts and things of that nature. This would be awesome if you added some more color.

Good Job!!

Well, the point is that a logo should be easy to reproduce in many mediums, such as t-shirts, business cards, letterhead, etc. The fewer the colors, the cheaper those things are.

Joe Matt
05-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Well, the point is that a logo should be easy to reproduce in many mediums, such as t-shirts, business cards, letterhead, etc. The fewer the colors, the cheaper those things are.

So we will have FIRST SN frissbies, mugs, mousepads, thongs, and even skateboards!

TALK ABOUT CROSS POLINATING!!!

Joel J
05-18-2003, 09:01 PM

This is a simple 3-color logo which should be easy and cheap to reproduce. Honestly, I still think the concept logo you put out prior to this one is the best of the lot. Build on _that_ concept and forget everything else.

srawls
05-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by JosephM
So we will have FIRST SN frissbies, mugs, mousepads, thongs, and even skateboards!

TALK ABOUT CROSS POLINATING!!!

Umm ... I won't ask.

Anyway, I am not a graphics person, so this one is to show an idea, and not meant to be used.

Stephen

http://gauss.nhgs.tec.va.us/~srawls/images/fsn.jpg

Hinkel Y.
05-18-2003, 09:22 PM
How about this? If you can find a better grid, send the address to me and I'll edit it... (Yes... I spent fifteen minutes making the grid... That's why it's soo crappy...)

Jeff Waegelin
05-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Hinkel Y.
How about this? If you can find a better grid, send the address to me and I'll edit it... (Yes... I spent fifteen minutes making the grid... That's why it's soo crappy...)

The text is a little hard to read.

Hinkel Y.
05-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Waegelin
The text is a little hard to read.

That's why I want a better grid... The current one, I just made on Photoshop... Starting from one square marquee and copying and pasting for 15 mins... Bah... I have no life... :p

Madison
05-18-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Joel J.
Honestly, I still think the concept logo you put out prior to this one is the best of the lot. Build on _that_ concept and forget everything else.

The problem I'm having with that concept is that it requires gradients to have dimension. In a two- or three-color printing process, gradients are bad, like you mentioned.

Maybe I can get it to four colors and add shadows as blocks of color. That won't work too well on spheres, though.

I'll keep trying.

About adding text under my most recent attempt -- I think it'd be best if you did that in the body of the website, should you use that design. It'd load faster and it'd be easier to change the size, color, or font, should you redesign the site in the future.

Brandon Martus
05-18-2003, 09:58 PM
I agree (about the gradients on the first one), and think that the second one built on that first idea & was a bit more usable. I like the second one just as much as the first, if not more.

SkitzoSmurf
05-18-2003, 10:00 PM
let me mess around in paint shop pro and get back to you on this. I think I could come up with something neat. Didn't take that graphics class for nothing.

Joel J
05-18-2003, 10:54 PM
The problem I'm having with that concept is that it requires gradients to have dimension. In a two- or three-color printing process, gradients are bad, like you mentioned.

Maybe I can get it to four colors and add shadows as blocks of color. That won't work too well on spheres, though.

I'll keep trying.

About adding text under my most recent attempt -- I think it'd be best if you did that in the body of the website, should you use that design. It'd load faster and it'd be easier to change the size, color, or font, should you redesign the site in the future. Dimension to what? Its not the gradients in that logo that make me like it, but the somewhat nonuniform sources feeding to the one sink (or should be multiple sinks, but whatever). If I remove the gradients in that logo and replace it with some flat color, it still looks fine.. think of a splash, a splurge.. thats what I see in that logo. eh?

[Edit: The newer design you put up is way too uniform. Thats like a dream scouting network: a group of clones programmed to gather data and enter it into a database in an orderly fashion.. it aint happening. That is why I prefer the older one. Someone let me know when I am getting too picky here..]

GregTheGreat
05-18-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Hinkel Y.

I like this one. The only suggestion I have, is make the font a little bigger. Cool Background. Good Job!

Daniel Brim
05-18-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by GregTheGreat
I like this one. The only suggestion I have, is make the font a little bigger. Cool Background. Good Job!
I think making the text bold will help.

GregTheGreat
05-18-2003, 11:54 PM
BOLd is always good. Maybe the text up about 3 or 4 point to. Experement with it, see how it comes out. I am looking forward to see a updated product of this one.

Josh Hambright
05-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Wow i cant believe how long of a thread my 1 logo started hehe.. i love it when i stir up ideas in other people.

Here is another one that i just made in like 30 secs.

Amanda Morrison
05-20-2003, 11:54 PM
Personally, I like Kyle Gilbert's version with a magnifying glass. I think that although it might not be as professional as some of the ones that are being presented, it is cute and catchy, and is going to make people want to take a second look.

Lindsey
05-21-2003, 06:51 PM
So many other people made logos I figured I had to try.

Lindsey
05-21-2003, 06:54 PM
Opps I forgot the picture!

Erin Rapacki
05-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Lets do this the true 'engineer' way (making as simple and idiot proof as possible)

Yea, I know it's boring. But you need a touch of realism here!

haha...

see! Very easily marketable... all you need is a sharpie! You can have cups, frisbees, candy, rulers, soda, tatoos... anything you want (just please don't write in my face with a sharpie, I might not like that)