PDA

View Full Version : Scouting/Scoring System for Palm M3

A. Leese
06-19-2001, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure if this is in the correct category or not..but here goes:

I have a Palm M3. Last year someone..I can't remember who..had either a scoring or a scouting system that could run off of my Palm. They were going to HotSync me the program at nats. I was just wondering who that was and if anyone knows of a program or how to make a program that I could use on my Palm.

~Angela who's too lazy to back up and bring her laptop with her to nats..the Palm is just so much more compact

Nate Smith
06-19-2001, 09:16 PM
Once I find the files, I'll zip them up and send them your way...I've got both the GMCIA Palm scouting system, and my own design of a scoring program...

A. Leese
06-20-2001, 12:31 PM
Thanks, Nate. I told my team about it and one of our adults has a Palm as well. Mind if I shared them with him, also?

~Angela

Nate Smith
06-21-2001, 12:14 PM
Go right ahead...

Nate Smith
06-21-2001, 12:21 PM
Here's the scouting stuff...this was actually developed by team 65 using ThinkDB for GMCIA use...as for the scoring calculator, it appears that I no longer have the file, and the team site that I was using to hold the other stuff moved servers, and I didn't have a chance to back up what I had there...which means I lost a few things, kickoff pictures, scoring database, etc. Anyway, if there's anyone out there who has a copy of that scoring thing I set up, if you could attach it to a reply, that would be great! Thanks...

Tom Fairchild
07-02-2001, 11:02 AM
I was in charge of scouting for Team 122 this past year (along with being main driver, *whew*!) and was lucky enough to get some absolutely great software to use from NASA. We used PenDragon Forms with great success. It creates a survey of different questions to ask and then during a normal hot sync, it sends all of the data to a Microsoft Access database. From there, you can do whatever you want with it. Setting the whole thing up takes very little time and my personal fav about it is the fact that it requires absolutely no user training. People just have to click "yes" "no" or put in a number, that kind of thing, and then know to put the palm in the cradle and press a button. As for scoring, for the life of me I can't remember the team that made it, but on the field even I used a program that I found here on Chief Delphi's site that was very straight forward and easy to use. Having that during the Div. finals was very useful to get a score before it was put up on the large board. Hope I haven't babbled on too much for ya, ~Tom~

Nate Smith
07-02-2001, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Tom Fairchild
As for scoring, for the life of me I can't remember the team that made it, but on the field even I used a program that I found here on Chief Delphi's site that was very straight forward and easy to use.

Tom, if it was in thinkDB on a Palm it was most likely the one that I made. If you've still got a copy of it, could you send it back my way? Thanks...

Tom Fairchild
07-02-2001, 12:36 PM
Sorry Nate, wish I could help you out. While yes I do have a copy of the software that I used, its on all of the palm pilots (handspring visors, to be exact) back at the school and I won't be able to see them again until next year. Sorry!

Allen Smith
07-02-2001, 04:28 PM
Here is a link to a screen shot and download page of a Palm application I wrote to score the 2001 FIRST game
http://www.gadgeteer.org
This is the first Palm application that I wrote, let me have any feedback good or bad
Allen

Tom Fairchild
07-02-2001, 05:27 PM
Hate to break it to ya Nate, but it turns out Alex's program was the one we used. Don't think of it as a preference, but I happened to see Alex's the day before Richmond's VCU Competition began. As for you Alex, congradulations on a wonderful program. The Galelio champions thank you, for we used your program out on the field while the other alliances were giving it their shot. I found the whole thing to be incredibly easy to use. Once again, thank you. :)

~Tom~

Matt Leese
07-03-2001, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Tom Fairchild
Hate to break it to ya Nate, but it turns out Alex's program was the one we used. Don't think of it as a preference, but I happened to see Alex's the day before Richmond's VCU Competition began. As for you Alex, congradulations on a wonderful program. The Galelio champions thank you, for we used your program out on the field while the other alliances were giving it their shot. I found the whole thing to be incredibly easy to use. Once again, thank you. :)

~Tom~
Alex? Who's Alex? Do you mean Allen?

Matt who's just rather confused at the moment....

Tom Fairchild
07-03-2001, 09:26 AM
Okay, okay, so I build robots, but I'm not too good with names. Sorry for the confusion. Yes, I did mean Allen. Hope that clears it up for ya!

~Tom~

A. Leese
07-24-2001, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Matt Leese

Alex? Who's Alex? Do you mean Allen?

Matt who's just rather confused at the moment....

*points Matt to the confused corner*

~Angela who created the Confused Corner :)