PDA

View Full Version : "Open-Source" Balancing development Project

MattK
06-29-2003, 10:37 PM
I need your opinion on this project I am thinking about doing.

I want to create a group of people who are working toward creating a series of self-balancing machines.

These machines will necessarily be to transport humans but to transport cargo and possibly to balance a robot or something to that effect.

There are a couple different ways this group could work.....

One being working on a bunch of different project individually and than posting how they worked and data about the machine online.

Another way the group could work is by having a board, this board would set goals for projects.
For example- The board decides to build a machine that can balance and move around cargo. They would send out a e-mail to everyone who wants to participate and tells them they need design ideas.
The board would than choose 1 design for all of those designs that where submitted.
From there they would send out another e-mail asking for data on wheels/motors/power sources.... the list goes on.

They would than collect that data and decide on a parts list. Than in the end put together the complete plans for the machine.

The last one is kinda a mix between the 2. Everyone would work as a team to create the machine. From designing the machine to actually testing out the finished product.

Does this sound interesting?

Everything would be purely educational and NOTHING would be brought to market.

We would need people from all walks of life... organizers, engineering type people, programmers, electrical people.... the list goes on.

I am not talking about strictly using parts from FIRST kits.... we need to really look out there and see what we can use.

I posted this really fast so please ask any questions and make any comments.

You can e-mail me if you would like or send me a IM (all that stuff is in my pro)

apk
06-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Do I hear a new sub-forum being created in the FIRST Related Orgianizations Forum?

MattK
06-30-2003, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by apk
Do I hear a new sub-forum being created in the FIRST Related Orgianizations Forum?

Yeah, how would I go about doing that?

Matt Krass
06-30-2003, 10:52 PM
I do believe you need to ask Brandon.

Brandon Martus
06-30-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Matt Krass
I do believe you need to ask Brandon.

It's been asked. I'm working on it.

Joe Ross
07-01-2003, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by MattK
Everything would be purely educational and NOTHING would be brought to market.

You can't guarantee that with an open-source project.

Do you have the programming and interpersonal talents to create a succesfull project, or do you have someone in mind?

MattK
07-01-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Joe Ross
You can't guarantee that with an open-source project.

Do you have the programming and interpersonal talents to create a successful project, or do you have someone in mind?

Its going to be a group effort...

I think if we all concentrate our energy toward one goal we can more than succeed

Adam Y.
07-02-2003, 10:45 AM
http://www.robots.net/article/567.html
Anything, everything, and more than you needed to know on how to build a two wheeled balancing wonder.
I also recomend this motors for any type of scooter but get them while you can because they are hot.
http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2003070209495832&item=10-1761&catname=electric

MattK
08-08-2003, 07:03 PM
I posted this awhile ago and I wanted to know if there where anyone new is interested?

Thanks,
Matt

piotrm
08-08-2003, 10:11 PM
i (can be)/am interested; anything new come up about this thing ?

MattK
08-08-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by piotrm
i (can be)/am interested; anything new come up about this thing ?

Well I just want to get interested people together