PDA

View Full Version : FSN Header Graphic


Timothy D. Ginn
07-05-2003, 12:28 AM
I'm creating the general information site for FSN (temporary address: http://forums.firstscouting.org/main/ ) and would like someone else to do the header graphic.

I can do something, but, it deserves someone with more artistic talent than that :) So, whoever wants to, feel free to do that and post the top banner thing here, or get it to me in some other way, and I'll put it up :)

Note: it would be nice to get this done before Jack's back to full time FSN stuff (it would get one thing off of his mind ;))

Ashley Weed
07-05-2003, 10:29 AM
I think you have a great start with this. I'm not to overally talented with graphics editors, however... to whom may take this on - connecting the side bar of blue... and have the header a continuation of that would add smoothness.

Also... what will 'Development' be for? Contents of page under the works? Or did I completely miss something?

Timothy D. Ginn
07-05-2003, 11:20 AM
The development site at the moment is used for developing and testing some things. It is where the Javascript that adds the sponsor links was tested, and will presumably be where other development things are made and tested.

I suppose it could serve a double-purpose as being the page for the developers of FSN; but, you'd have to ask Jack.

Stefan
07-05-2003, 04:39 PM
what deminshions... ( i just got back for summer camp a woodruff scout reservation)

Stefan
07-05-2003, 07:54 PM
umm i dunno if this is like any thing u want or what ..... but if u were to use it you would chop of excess img portion after Network and make a 1px wile black bar and have it repeating across the top making it look like the rest of that img or ur pther option id to split the top in to 2 colomns and have a HR with no border and colored black set at the proper deminshions and aligned to bottom......

Brandon Martus
07-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Stefan
umm i dunno if this is like any thing u want or what ..... but if u were to use it you would chop of excess img portion after Network and make a 1px wile black bar and have it repeating across the top making it look like the rest of that img or ur pther option id to split the top in to 2 colomns and have a HR with no border and colored black set at the proper deminshions and aligned to bottom......

I like it all but that texture on the blue.

Stefan
07-05-2003, 08:17 PM
umm ... K

Madison
07-05-2003, 09:20 PM
Simplicity and repeating patterns. No filters.

Stefan
07-05-2003, 10:02 PM
tight very tight

Stefan
07-05-2003, 10:13 PM
umm yeh but wont like the data portion have a diff layout? that should be talyored to just that... maybe its own subdomain such as datacenter.firstscouting.org .... I dunno that was just a thought anyways.

Timothy D. Ginn
07-05-2003, 10:30 PM
umm yeh but wont like the data portion have a diff layout? that should be talyored to just that... maybe its own subdomain such as datacenter.firstscouting.org .... I dunno that was just a thought anyways.


Yes, the data centre portion of the site would have a different layout. Once it is setup, it will most likely also have its own subdomain too. However, for clarification, at the moment we are designing the layout for the main site, not for the data entry/viewing.

The examples so far are good, but I think I'll put the decision off a bit longer until everyone has had a fair chance to read this and prepare a design (after all, the American Independence day was July 4th, and some people only read the boards on weekdays).

apk
07-05-2003, 11:14 PM
I really like the last design ( the simple one ) . Whatever is choosen, it should be simple to keep the pages fast. Also, could you change the link for the gallery to photos.firstscouting.org ( I would like to keep everything under one domain).

Timothy D. Ginn
07-06-2003, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by apk
Also, could you change the link for the gallery to photos.firstscouting.org ( I would like to keep everything under one domain).

The link is now changed to photos.firstscouting.org.

jonathan lall
07-06-2003, 01:20 PM
Nice look what M Krass submitted, but the A List Apart menu is bothering me... maybe it can be changed a little in appearance? You don't want other sites to have that same menu... :D

Timothy D. Ginn
07-06-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by jonathan lall
Nice look what M Krass submitted, but the A List Apart menu is bothering me... maybe it can be changed a little in appearance? You don't want other sites to have that same menu... :D

Ah, someone who knows exactly where it came from, I guess I've been caught :) Well, I'm open to suggestions as to what to change on it to make it look more custom. (As I said, the layout stuff isn't my strong point).

Jeff Waegelin
07-06-2003, 04:11 PM
Copyleft, eh? I like it...

jonathan lall
07-06-2003, 05:33 PM
I could make you another CSS one if you give me some ideas...

AJ Quick
07-06-2003, 06:08 PM
I like the simple site. I also think the designs will be copied over all portions of the site to keep with continuity. I don't know about dataviewing, but everything (forums, photo galley) should match the rest of the site.

apk
07-06-2003, 10:32 PM
I like the idea of a constant theme. I purposly kept the photo gallery simple so i could easly add a layout to it. Also, on that topic, soon (after i get back home (see the I'll be away... post)) i will be adding catagories.

RogerR
07-09-2003, 03:09 PM
M's submition is qoin' to be a hard act to follow, but here's mine anyways:

DanLevin247
07-09-2003, 03:19 PM
It's a definate toss-up between M and Roger's designs, while Maddie has simplicity, Roger has that cool, "weird stuff in the backround" look. It all depends on whats pleasing to your'e eye.

Madison
07-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by RogerR
M's submition is qoin' to be a hard act to follow, but here's mine anyways:

I really like how the black border around the logo looks. It defines it and makes it jump off the page like a pin or something.

Very cool. I also like the header. It's still reasonably simple, but offers more visual interest.

Ashley Weed
07-09-2003, 03:53 PM
I believe tha both M's and Roger's submissions are wonderful. Exactly how I was trying to explain in a non-technical way in my first post. :P M's has a deffinate sleekness and smoothness of coninuation. However, at the same time, Roger's has a it more 'flavor' to it with the texture. I really don't have a favorite of the two. It may depend on how much other activity you have on the page as to wether or not you would want a header with texture.


.. just my thoughts ..

Jeff Waegelin
07-09-2003, 04:30 PM
I like the added detail of Roger's submission. It has a little more visual flair, but not too much. It's not too fancy, but not too plain.

RogerR
07-09-2003, 09:43 PM
ok, back again...
the only qualm i have with it (mine) is that it uses blue so much. the only other color that would be approprieate would be red.
here it is in "red" (closer to orange, and desaturated a bit to get rid of pink highlights)

AJ Quick
07-09-2003, 09:44 PM
I really like M Krass's now that I've looked at it some more. There is a good sized area for us to put a banner ad in there for our sponsors, and to link to teams, and even bring in some more funding for the FSN.

apk
07-10-2003, 11:23 AM
Nice touch with the CD portal page in the background :)

RogerR
07-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by apk
Nice touch with the CD portal page in the background :)

wondered if anyone would notice....
i couldn't help myself.:D
if this header does end up being used, i would need to find a better image for the background, this one is to pixilated, and lacks any good contrast.

Brandon Martus
07-10-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by RogerR
wondered if anyone would notice....
i couldn't help myself.:D
if this header does end up being used, i would need to find a better image for the background, this one is to pixilated, and lacks any good contrast.
haha. website cameos. awesome.

I like both, pretty much equally. One suggestion, for Rogers .. change the solid blue in the menu to fit the header better. It doesn't seem to go with the header as well as it does with M's header.

dez250
07-11-2003, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by RogerR
ok, back again...
the only qualm i have with it (mine) is that it uses blue so much. the only other color that would be approprieate would be red.
here it is in "red" (closer to orange, and desaturated a bit to get rid of pink highlights)

Ok i dont know if its just me but the blue and red title blocks jsut dont mix, if you could do a fade between the colors instead of just changing them instantly, it would look better, IMO.
~Mike

RogerR
07-11-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by dez250
Ok i dont know if its just me but the blue and red title blocks jsut dont mix, if you could do a fade between the colors instead of just changing them instantly

i'm not quite sure what you mean, and i'd rather not put another header up (since i've already posted 2....) without a sure idea of what is wanted