PDA

View Full Version : Simple website questionnaire

jonathan lall
07-05-2003, 02:27 PM
I am aware some similar questions have been asked here in the past, but this is more in depth, and more importantly, it's being asked now. This is just a survey being used for a couple of website study purposes.

1) What is your...
screen resolution (e.g. 1024 x 768 pixels)
operating system (e.g. MS DOS 4.0)
web browser (if you use more than one, list them in order of use)
browser's Javascript handling (i.e. do you enable it?)
browser's cookie handling (i.e. what permissions do you use?)
connection speed (e.g. 14.4 dial-up modem)
2) List any general preferences you have for a website and why (e.g. 'I hate Flash, and you shouldn't use it because...' or 'never use a fixed-width or framed site because' or 'W3 what? Who cares?') 3) What sites (other this this one) do you consider to be good FIRST sites and why? Providing examples helps.

Leave anything you don't know or care to answer blank. Thanks.:D

Yan Wang
07-05-2003, 02:40 PM
1) What is your...
* 1280x1024
* Windows XP Home Edition SP1
* Mozilla 1.3, IE 6, Opera 7
* Javascript enabled
* alert (choose to accept or not)

2) Hate flash or large cumbersome graphics. Hate intros. Write a nice clean site that is navigable and presents information, not looks. All you need is Html, CSS, and PHP (mySQL for forum). No need for 300kb images. Thumbails should also be around 5kb - 10kb.

3) I dunno... USFIRST.org

Brandon Martus
07-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Resolution: 1024x768 [laptop], 1600x1200 [workstation]
Browser: Mozilla 1.4, Opera 7.11
JS: Enabled. No unrequested pop-ups allowed, though.
Cookie: default permissions.
Speed: cable at home, T3 at work

2) Flash has its uses, many times it is used when it shouldn't be, though. Menus, multimedia, etc = good. whole site = bad, in my opinion. W3 = good. Use it, be valid, be happy. If W3 is happy with your site, any browser that matters is happy with your site.

3) Here are my 2 most favorite FIRST team sites.
http://www.rage173.org/ : love the layout, content, presentation, etc.
http://www.feds201.com/ : love the information presented, organization, etc.

ebmonon36
07-05-2003, 03:24 PM
Resolution: 800x600 ( I would change it if it weren't my parent's comp.)
Browser: AOL (hate it) IE 5.5
Java: Enabled
Cookies: allowed
Speed: 56K

2. Flash sites are nice, but take too long to load and sometimes can be over used. I do not like frames because sometimes they don't display right and it makes the actual content of the website smaller and framed sites can look cluttered.

3. favorite first site: soap108.com for the scouting info and videos of the matches.

Eric

jonathan lall
07-05-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus

http://www.rage173.org/ : love the layout, content, presentation, etc.
http://www.feds201.com/ : love the information presented, organization, etc.

Stupid PHP. I certainly wish I knew it.

Stefan
07-05-2003, 07:05 PM
1. 1) What is your...

A. 1024 x 768
B. XP / Redhat 9
C. IE6 = Opera 7
NS7 = Firebird
D. Enabled
E. umm default and what ever NIS 2K2 accepts
F. 1.5mbps ADSL ....

2) ummm..... flash and non-flash they are both good used in the right ways... ie. Homestarrunner.com is a flash site. While this site is not..... and there both very good and interactive.
3) ummm... that i cant say but this Q is prob the most important one ur asking.....

Joel J
07-05-2003, 08:05 PM
screen resolution
1024 x 768
operating system
Windows 2000 Professional
web browser
Opera 7.1
Internet Explorer 6.0
Mozilla 1.4 (all it needs are a set of mouse shortcut keys to be the _one_)
browser's Javascript handling
enabled
browser's cookie handling
Opera asks my permission before setting a cookie
connection speed
DSL
List any general preferences you have for a website and why
Generally, I don't like sites with a heavy reliance upon flash. I can deal with flash based intros, as long as a "skip intro" button is available. Sites on which flash is used to animate a logo or a navigation menu are fine by me.

Frames are out; tables are in. Frames quickly become cumbersome for a user and if they aren't completely computer literate, then they can find themselves stuck browsing within that frame.

Background images are only cool if they are something of a (non repetitive) watermark, or a _really_ significant graphic. Otherwise, they are annoying.

I am slowly building a preference for top based navigation menus over left or right based ones: if they are small enough, then users at all resolutions (within reason) have ready access to the buttons, and it doesn't take away from the space available for content.

I like sites that expand or contract to fit in a reasonably sized browser window. I'll end this section now, before it gets any longer.
What sites (other th[an] this one) do you consider to be good FIRST sites and why?
http://www.cybersonics.org - visual appeal, and content
http://www.cyberblue234.com - ALOT of content
In the FIRST world, you need to come up with content that makes users want to come back to your site time after time (eg. ChiefDelphi, SOAP108, FEDS201, etc), then present it in an organized fashion, and then finally package it in a visually pleasing design.. well, as far as I have observed..

iBob
07-05-2003, 08:56 PM
1) What is your...

screen resolution = 1024 x 768 pixels

operating system = Mac OS X (10.2.6)

web browser = Safari (default), Camino (secondary)

browser's Javascript handling = yes

browser's cookie handling = yes

connection speed = DSL

2) List any general preferences you have for a website and why = Anything that requires Internet Explorer makes me angry... Don't use a lot of bitmaps in your flash it just makes it big... Don't use flash unless you have a reason to, just becuase you can isnt a reason. NO FRAMES! Their is never a good reason to use frames... they always get you messed up.

3) What sites (other this this one) do you consider to be good FIRST sites and why? = I'm kinda partial to mine... http://www.machvee.org because I feel we explain our team and first well without a lot of fancy stuff.

Trashed20
07-05-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by jonathan lall
Stupid PHP. I certainly wish I knew it.

If you know html and c++ you pretty much know php. I taught it to my self using their wonderful downloadable CHM help file. Has tons of sample code and documents the whole language. good stuff :)

Now to the posting:
Old comp:
1024x768
Windows 98 SE
IE 5.0
Accept All
Accept All
56k dialup

New Comp:
1200x1600
Windows XP SP1
IE 6.0
Accept All
Accept All
56k modem

(I'll get my fast connection at college in 1 month :))

2.) flash for movies and special one use interfaces (like the color picker that got posted in brandon's post). Since I have a slow connection sites that have huge menu's and flashy interfaces take forever to load and i usually don't view them. If you want small widget applets thats fine. I like dynamic sites as they can be updated wuickly and they are usually customizable. CSS is yummdiddlyumsious. W3 is nifty. Tables all the way. Pop ups are bad. Don't resize my window. Let me right click. Boo frames unless they do not scroll. I-frames are ok, but a hastle. thats about it.

3.) I like our website (http://www.lightningrobotics.com) for a few reasons. First, i coded it, which i think goes with the first phillosophy of doing things yourself from scratch. Secondly, it serves as our information hub. We get all the vital information quick and when we need it. Lastly, we don't have stuff we don't need. While we still don't have some things we do need, it isn't super cluttered and navigation is easy. I like it, and my team likes it, and i guess thats all that matters :)

SaxMan701
07-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Didn't really read that many other replies, but mine is probably very different than others.
1)
screen res: 1024x768
web browser: Safari
Javascript: enabled
Cookies: really wish I could turn them off, but so many web sites require them, so they are enabled
Connection: DSL

2) General preferences:
Loading time is more important than looks, but both would be good. Simplicity is also very important. Don't care about pop-ups...have them blocked.
3) I should say www.team84.org, but it hasn't been updated is a year or so. I guess this is the only FIRST site I go to.

Ashley Weed
07-05-2003, 09:53 PM
1) What is your...
screen resolution 1024 x 768
operating system Win XP Pro
web browser IE 6
browser's Javascript handling enabled
browser's cookie handling enabled after asking
connection speed DSL (from wireless router)

2) List any general preferences you have for a website and why
I really hate when you go to a site.. then have to click on an object or ENTER to actually go to the page.. waste of time and not necissary.

Ryan Albright
07-05-2003, 09:59 PM
screen resolution 1024 x 768

operating system Win XP Pro or Red Hat
Linux (depends what computer i am on)

web browser IE 6, Mozilla

browser's Javascript handling enabled

browser's cookie handling enabled

Dsl on wireless/wired hub (gotta luv linksys)

I like flash that enhances a site by like menu's etc etc, Yes enter sites are a big waste of time and genearlly annoying

The webstie that helps me the most other then cd is def gotta be soap108.com they have most videos of regiionals and championship and they are just a awesome team to talk to especially jnatt is really helpful

apk
07-05-2003, 10:00 PM
I am aware some similar questions have been asked here in the past, but this is more in depth, and more importantly, it's being asked now. This is just a survey being used for a couple of website study purposes.

1) What is your...
2) List any general preferences you have for a website and why (e.g. 'I hate Flash, and you shouldn't use it because...' or 'never use a fixed-width or framed site because' or 'W3 what? Who cares?') 3) What sites (other this this one) do you consider to be good FIRST sites and why? Providing examples helps.

1) 800x600
M$ windows 98se (i hate it)
IE 6, Mozilla 1.4, Netscape 7, Opera 7
Javascript enabled (most of the time)
cookies, accept all (except for advertisers)
connection speed: cable modem :p
2)use little if any flash, make sure the page fits well on all resoulitions, i hate frames, keep design simple, don't overdo on pictures and other images (for those still dialing up)

sanddrag
07-06-2003, 12:39 AM

- 1024x768
- Windows 98 SE
- IE 5.5
- Javascript enabled
- Cookies enabled but not sure how and too lazy to look
- Cable Modem connection

Hate popups and any sort of ads whatsoever. Hate mouse followers. Hate the pages you can't go back from once you get there. All flash sites are so so to me. Any site has got to show some sign of loading something within no more than 3 seconds or I'm gone. (And that's if I'm patient)

EDIT: And you should be able to get anywhere within two clicks of anywhere. Obvisously things like picture comments or enlaged pictures and things like that don't apply to this rule but you know what I mean.

Also, a lack of information cannot be covered up with a flashy good looking site. The info comes first, then the effects and design.

Raven_Writer
07-06-2003, 11:13 AM

1) What is your...

Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768
Web Browser: IE 6, MoZilla, NetScape
JavaScript: JIT Enabled
Cookie: Trusted Sites Only
Connection: ADSL (1.5 megs)

Flash is only good if it's used low-ly. Graphical (fully Flash) sites are a pain, even w/ (A)DSL.

I don't really have many besides Rage and USFirst.org

yangotang
07-06-2003, 11:33 AM
1) What is your...

Usually 1600x1200

Debian (linux for you nubs), Windows XP Prof

Mozilla 2, IE 6

No Javascript

Default Cookie Handling

Experimental 25mbps/8mbps ADSL

2) I hate javascript... you know those darn cursors that people have... those are so freakin lame.

3) Um... I wouldn't know which ones are good refrences, but i'd definetly say that the usfirst.org site is poorly coded.

Aaron Knight
07-09-2003, 12:34 PM
1440x900 home (imac widescreen), 1024x768 laptop (ibook)
Mac OS X 10.2.6, OS 9 on occasion
Safari 1.0 usual, alternates: Netscape 7.1 and OmniWeb
Enabled
Enabled (use webmail, so I have to...)
Cable via router (shared connection)
[/list]
2) List any general preferences you have for a website and why[/b] (e.g. 'I hate Flash, and you shouldn't use it because...' or 'never use a fixed-width or framed site because' or 'W3 what? Who cares?')
I don't like non-compliant pages, and I don't like Flash-dominated pages - because I use a non-M$ browser and too many pages designed with Flash are badly done.
3) What sites (other this this one) do you consider to be good FIRST sites and why? Providing examples helps.
I suppose usfirst.org is useful, aside from the Delphi forums ;)

Stephen Kowski
07-09-2003, 04:11 PM
1) What is your...
1600X1200
Windows Server 2003
IE 6
Enabled, but popups are blocked
all
Cable

2) learn to love CSS instead of nesting tables it is cross browser compliant in all the major browsers. IE, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, Safari...

http://glish.com/css/

Petey
07-09-2003, 08:05 PM

1) What is your...
screen resolution (e.g. 1024 x 768 pixels) 1152x864
operating system (e.g. MS DOS 4.0) Mac OSX 10.2.x
Safari beta version .73 (LONG LIVE RESET SAFARI!)
Firebird beta version .7
Camino beta version .9
Internet Exploder 5 (my default if I'm using a non-mac computer)
browser's Javascript handling (i.e. do you enable it?) I enable it
browser's cookie handling (i.e. what permissions do you use?) I quote from my preferences, "Only accept cookies from sites you navigate to". Oh, and I use Safari's pop up blocker. I haven't seen a pop up since I started using it.
connection speed (e.g. 14.4 dial-up modem) It fluctuates, really. I pay for 512/128, but I get as high as 1152/618. I have 6 computers--including my server--hooked up right now. At the moment, I'm at 423/420.

If you do use flash, make two seperate webpages--HTML and flash. Everybody loves forums and interactivity. Open
source is the way to go. NO FRAMES.

As for sites...well, CD is great. I love our team's site, which is under redesign and is now being pointed at our school's tech center webpage. www.firstubergeeks.com is a great site--I use their link database program.

Yan Wang
07-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Joel J.

web browser
Opera 7.1
Internet Explorer 6.0
Mozilla 1.4 (all it needs are a set of mouse shortcut keys to be the _one_)

Go search for a free program called 'StrokeIt'... lets you set mouse commands for programs and includes default ones set for IE, Windows Explorer, and some more... meaning that MoZilla is already my #1 :) :)

.. till Thunderbird becomes more stable.

Joel J
07-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by monsieurcoffee
Go search for a free program called 'StrokeIt'... lets you set mouse commands for programs and includes default ones set for IE, Windows Explorer, and some more... meaning that MoZilla is already my #1 :) :)

.. till Thunderbird becomes more stable. I'll take a look at the program, thank you.

jonathan lall
07-09-2003, 10:51 PM
If you mean Mouse Gestures, Optimoz (http://optimoz.mozdev.org/) is better. I've been with that app's development for years. Anyone who is looking for Mozilla enhancements should really check that place (Mozdev) out.

apk
07-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Also, for general stats, the counter's website can be very usefull (http://www.thecounter.com/).

07-10-2003, 10:31 AM
* 1280*1024
* RH9 or Slack 9
* Mozilla 1.4
* No Java, JavaScript
* Only select sites
* 1.2mb cable
* Css, php: keep the designs clean and functional. Keep the Flash to a minimum just because when switching between tabs, and u leave a site up to load in the background most flash designs are not seen and waste bandwidth.
* Welll, so far cheifdelphi has clean design (though cluttered portal) and can be easily navigated. The mods themselves need to ease down on deleting posts though. :mad:

HFWang
07-14-2003, 01:51 PM
1) What is your...
screen resolution: 1280x1024
operating system: WinXP
web browser: Firebird, Mozilla, IE, Opera
browser's Javascript handling: with severe caveats
browser's cookie handling: always on
connection speed: 1.5mbit
[list]2) List any general preferences you have for a website and why Flash is bulky and makes me wait. Large pointless graphics. Impossible to find content. Content that is overshadowed by somebody's beautiful layout. Registering for no apparent reason. Difficult to browse (for example, if you have a listing, you must specify a bunch of options to view. IMO you should be allowed to just page through everything)

utishpenguin
07-14-2003, 08:47 PM
* screen resolution 1024 x 768
* operating system Xp home
* web browser :IE 5.0, mozilla firebird
* browser's Javascript: Mozilla, no, IE, yes
* browser's cookie handling:yes
* connection speed: DSL

2) List any general preferences you have for a website and why. Clean[hate too much stuff that is distracting], css/liquid layouts [it loads faster], no frames/iframes, no javascripts [tends to be buggy and distracting], as mentioned before, have two sites for flash.

www.glish.com and www.bluerobot are good css layout sites.

piotrm
07-14-2003, 09:25 PM
1) What is your...

screen resolution: 1024x768x32bpp

operating system: windoze 2000 pro / debian 3.0

web browser; ie 6 / mozilla 1.something

browser's Javascript handling: usually enabled; sometimes disabled if i need to browse an annoying site in ie / enabled with pop-ups disabled in mozilla

browser's cookie handling; default ie setting / default mozilla setting

connection speed; ~700kpbs cable

2) - flash is ok if used in right amounts (not too much);
- whole sites in flash are generally annoying;
- hate sites that brake the back button by doing a javascript/meta forward (its sooo annoying);
- hate sites that are made to look nice but have no actual content to be found (this especially with flash sites) unless they are web-tech demos;
- hate sites that put stuff in browser status bar
- fixed width sites are ok as long as they don't exceed my screen resolution :-(
- frames aren't bad (if done properly); iframes are no good; grrrr
- "W3 what? Who cares?" <-- i do; but not THAT much...
- pages with high contrast backgrounds especially those with colors in common with foreground colors are possibly the most annoying web pages ever devised
- pages that have so much stuff as to make the vertical scroller bar too small to aim at for a click and drag are bad
- pages that use javascript for alerts/prompts are not good (unless its for form validation; which is still kind of annoying, but not as bad)

3) I do not know many first sites; although i see people like the official first site; i think its navigation is kind of confusing so its no good; and recently they had a stupid flash intro thing which i would have never expected to see on that site

I really really don't know many first sites other than this one and the official one so I can't really list any good ones (although chief delphi site is certainly nice)

MissDaisyGirl
07-19-2003, 11:23 PM
Screen resolution: 1440 x 900 (17" apple cinema laptop)
Web Browser: Safari, IE
Javascript: enabled
Cookies: accept only from sites i nav to
Connection speed: comcast cable

Preferences: good use of graphics, don't use extensive graphics or flash if it does not serve a purpose. content is most important first, you can't make a site better just by visuals. another thing that is annoying is the lack of attention to grammar or punctuation - totally distracting. and also, don't put ur videos up w/weird codecs and DON'T make me download more plug-ins. *argh*

1) What is your...

Veselin Kolev
07-30-2003, 10:42 PM
1) What is your...

screen resolution: 2000x1500!!!

operating system: XP Pro

web browser: IE, netscape, mozilla

browser's Javascript handling: NEVER!!!

browser's cookie handling: loads onto 2nd hard drive

connection speed: 28kb/s DIE-LUPP >:(

2) List any general preferences you have for a website and why:
any site that gives a pop-up must die. That's about it
3) What sites (other this this one) do you consider to be good FIRST sites and why:
usfirst.org, firstcadlibrary.com because they have almost all the info and stuff to make a drive train