PDA

View Full Version : HOT Team Website

Beth Sweet
08-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Hey everybody. I redesigned our website over this past summer, and we finally have it up and online. The link is http://www.huronvalley.k12.mi.us/schools/mhs/activity/hot_team/index1.html If you would give me some feedback on opinions, I would really appreciate it!!! Thanks!!!
Bethy

sanddrag
08-22-2003, 02:41 PM
The Photo Gallery page seriously bogs down my computer. It takes an extremely long time to load even over a cable connection. This is because all the photos are resized 640x480. You have a couple videos on your site that I'd love to look at but are scared to due to the huge file size. On the animation page you say 30 minute animation when I think you mean 30 second. Last, you should be able to get to any page from any page. Hope this helps. :)

Beth Sweet
08-22-2003, 02:51 PM
Thanks sanddrag, I'll definately get the minute/second thing fixed!!

Raven_Writer
08-22-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by sanddrag
The Photo Gallery page seriously bogs down my computer. It takes an extremely long time to load even over a cable connection.....
I agree. I got a 1.5 Megabit-per-second ADSL speed, and it took about atleast a minute or two (which would usually only take a second or two).

In my opinion, javascript is a really bad choice, espically if it's done on everything.

Nice layout though, ;) Clean, simple, small.

Yan Wang
08-22-2003, 03:20 PM
Same stuff said above plus -

The homepage images aren't crisp enough - the jaggies need to be anti-aliased.

On the pages, the HOT logo sticks out way too much, when the main focus should be the text below them (which, due to the boldness of HOT, sometimes runs off into the red border of the image).

Yeah, navigation needs to be improved.

The layout is very nice as it's simple, but something about the huge areas of white are unappealing.

Yah.

Raven_Writer
08-22-2003, 03:23 PM
If at all possible, try to have someone make a background w/ your logo or something, and then use text for the linkage. If your server allows scripting (preferablly PHP), I (or someone else) can make a lil' menu for you.

sanddrag
08-22-2003, 04:09 PM
DHTML works great for menus too www.team696.org I can make you one if you want it.

AJ Quick
08-22-2003, 04:11 PM
Time to learn a little bit about compression and thumbnails I think! The files on the site are huge! They take forever to load, so maybe some compression can be used. The images aren't really thumbnails.. they are just shrunk down 1mb each images... so that is really taxing. Using a 5k per image thumbnail will work wonders.

Site looks good otherwise.

Raven_Writer
08-22-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by AJ Quick
Time to learn a little bit about compression and thumbnails I think! The files on the site are huge! They take forever to load, so maybe some compression can be used. The images aren't really thumbnails.. they are just shrunk down 1mb each images... so that is really taxing. Using a 5k per image thumbnail will work wonders.
Use either PNG (24-bit), or JPEG (jpg, jpeg) for good compression. Thumbnails can also work to.

Pat McCarthy
08-22-2003, 04:26 PM
If anyone is trying to access it right now our district's server is down, and it usually takes a few hours to come back up.:(

Beth Sweet
08-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Thanks to everyone for all of the great feedback! I very much appreciate it all, and I'll get to work on fixing everything!!

Raven_Writer
08-22-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by PCPat
If anyone is trying to access it right now our district's server is down, and it usually takes a few hours to come back up.:(
Actually, when you posted that, I tried to, and I could view it just fine.

(Yes, I did refresh the page after clicking the link to ;))

Pat McCarthy
08-22-2003, 08:33 PM
It must just be my computer then...

Beth Sweet
08-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Does anyone else have any ideas about the site?

Raven_Writer
08-23-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by cutiebethy
Does anyone else have any ideas about the site?
I'd suggest not doing the color changing when moving the mouse over an image.

piotrm
08-23-2003, 03:00 PM
ok; as people said the anti-aliasing would help a lot; the scaled down images of the gallery photos should be different images (not just the original but scaled down in html); even those original images are kind of big

the hot team logo looks like it was drawn on paper and scanned it; i would suggest you get someone to make a vector (not raster) version of your logo; i predict it can look really nice with the fire and all; mmm fire;

i think the color scheme should be hotter (it is the hot site after all); i think making the background be reddish might make things hotter; i dont mean pure red (that would hurt my eyes); i suggest you use the recently posted on CD color theme picker; its nice; pick a redish color as the main color source and use the colors it provides for your site; stylesheets help a lot in coordinating a color scheme for sites

i personally dont enjoy greatly the Ms office generated text effects you seem to like using; perhaps you made the site in ms word?

the navigation is good enough for me but perhaps you should put the "home" button near the top of the page in addition to the bottom? i like how you see exactly what to click right on the main page to get whatever you want; big buttons; easy navigation; the mouseover image change i do not enjoy that much though; the orange fill makes the text hard to read inside them ovals;

although this navigation seems simple enough perhaps you should make a site map page with a link to every other page on the site with a short description on whats contained there?

i think the site could benefit a lot from some graphics work...

thats it for now; good luck

Raven_Writer
08-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by piotrm
...i think the color scheme should be hotter (it is the hot site after all); i think making the background be reddish might make things hotter; i dont mean pure red (that would hurt my eyes); i suggest you use the recently posted on CD color theme picker; its nice; pick a redish color as the main color source and use the colors it provides for your site; stylesheets help a lot in coordinating a color scheme for sites

i personally dont enjoy greatly the Ms office generated text effects you seem to like using; perhaps you made the site in ms word?

the navigation is good enough for me but perhaps you should put the "home" button near the top of the page in addition to the bottom? i like how you see exactly what to click right on the main page to get whatever you want; big buttons; easy navigation; the mouseover image change i do not enjoy that much though; the orange fill makes the text hard to read inside them ovals;...
Brandon's Picker (http://color.pubarso.com/)
Another Picker (http://kohaistyle.com/scripts/quickcolor/)
Thread (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20866&perpage=15&highlight=color&pagenumber=1)

Pat McCarthy
08-28-2003, 10:35 PM
I fixed the pictures in the Photo Gallery, so now they are low rez thumbnails that link to the full size picture. Also I added a video gallery. Some of the site is a bit bare, but I'm working on it.

08-29-2003, 07:18 AM
well- it would be nice to have a text navigation system- dhtml/php/NOT java/javascript
the animation page should not have a low-qual 1mb scaled up ad-gif. The animation vid should have a compressed version also available for download.NOT a dvsd/pcm. The 138mb vid might work on a site that has a higher bandwidth cap, but with huron valley school's low bandwidth a divx/xvid compressed video might do some good without detracting from the already low quality.
The text rollover on the bottom of the main page needs matching whites to go w/ the plain backround.
I hate to say this but.....
Your website needs:
1. Either New gfx or text based.
2. Do not scale the already low res gfx.
3. More Bandwidth :)
4. Better Compression
5. Matching colors.

Aignam
08-29-2003, 09:09 AM
You have the right idea with the easy navigation, but the over-abundant use of the team logo draws attention away from the most important part of the button--where it's bringing you. Perhaps stick the logo in the top left or top right corner and use text navigation. As far as the photo gallery goes, I like to cut out a small part of the picture and put that on the main selection screen, and have the larger image pop-up when the smaller image is clicked. I find this intrigues users a bit more than seeing the whole picture. Ideally, try to make a website that uses the navigation you put on the engineering page. And as previously mentioned, anti-alias all those photos and get rid of the rollovers. Sometimes the simplest website is the most appealing, and you have pretty much grasped that concept. In all, good job and happy web designing.

Noah
08-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Ok guys, maybe I am simply ignorant, but I am wondering: what exactly a PHP menu can do that couldn't be done in simple HTML? The major benefit that I can see is that you would be allowed server side includes, which it is quite possible to build a site without (albeit tedious and time-consuming). Are there other really spiffy things I don't know about?

Pat McCarthy
12-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Here I go again.
Over the summer I did some work to create a Multimedia gallery for the HOT team's site. We haven't switched over to it for our main galleries, cuz I haven't finished it yet, for one. The reason that I haven't finished it is because I haven't been able to get media from past years. But that's besides the point.
I made the navigation pages in Frontpage, and the pictures and graphics in Photoshop. The actual galleries, I made in Photoshop too, I slightly edited the album pages though, with navigation.
Also, the videos aren't linked to due to the fact that we haven't actually moved to the new gallery and I would change the file organization before I linked to them.
Let me know what you think of it.

Multimedia Page (http://www2.huronvalley.k12.mi.us/schools/mhs/activity/hot_team/All%20Multimedia%209-7-04/hot_multimedia.htm)
For whatever reason, the tables don't center in Firefox.

thoughtful
12-05-2004, 01:32 AM
A great effort, looks very simple and clean. Here are some of my opinions

-Font size on the press page and some other pages is too large
-The thumbnails on the gallery could be smaller
- I like the menues

In my opinion you have a great stary and the website looks great, but if you want to take it to the next level keep making small changes here and there and in time you will find a design that is very good looking

Roland
12-05-2004, 10:13 AM
404 NOT FOUND

Matt Attallah
12-05-2004, 11:18 AM
http://www2.huronvalley.k12.mi.us/schools/mhs/activity/hot_team/index1.html

Comon now, it's not that hard to find it. Took me less than 30 seconds...

Pat McCarthy
12-05-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm just asking for feedback on the not-yet-main multimedia area, not the rest, i just want to see if i should do some more work and finish it. See link below.

http://www2.huronvalley.k12.mi.us/schools/mhs/activity/hot_team/All%20Multimedia%209-7-04/hot_multimedia.htm
Thanks for the feed back!