PDA

View Full Version : Journalism schools


Raven_Writer
09-12-2003, 07:48 PM
Does anyone know of any journalism schools?

I've been talking to my American Lit. teacher about writing schools, and I would like to know if anyone knows of any.

Jeff Waegelin
09-12-2003, 08:14 PM
I know the University of Missouri - Columbia (their main campus) has a really good journalism school. They actually run one of the network affiliate stations in Columbia, KOMU-NBC, and it's staffed by students. They've got a good program for print journalism, too. You can see their webpage at http://www.journalism.missouri.edu/

Raven_Writer
09-12-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Jeff Waegelin
I know the University of Missouri - Columbia (their main campus) has a really good journalism school. They actually run one of the network affiliate stations in Columbia, and it's staffed by students. They've got a good program for print journalism, too. You can see their webpage at http://www.journalism.missouri.edu/
Thank you ;)

Does U of M have a journalism class?

srjjs
09-13-2003, 02:37 PM
I hear that Georgetown, being close to DC, has a lot of openings for students who want to work part-time for one of the major news companies and so get experience in that field.

rbayer
09-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Raven_Writer

Does U of M have a journalism class?

Which U of M? MI, MN, or ?

Brandon Martus
09-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by rbayer
Which U of M? MI, MN, or ? I think he probably meant MI. He and Jeff W. both live in Michigan, and Jeff goes to UofM[ich].

Raven_Writer
09-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Brandon Martus
I think he probably meant MI. He and Jeff W. both live in Michigan, and Jeff goes to UofM[ich].
That's correct (sorry about not stating U of MI, I forgot about Missouri and other states w/ M).

The link that Jeff gave seems to be a really good college, I'll probably scope out the college durin Spring Break or so.

Jeff Waegelin
09-13-2003, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Raven_Writer
That's correct (sorry about not stating U of MI, I forgot about Missouri and other states w/ M).

The link that Jeff gave seems to be a really good college, I'll probably scope out the college durin Spring Break or so.

Michigan does have a journalism school, but it's not one of it's nationally known programs like Missouri's is. That's not to say it's a bad program, though; in fact, it's pretty good. There's nothing really bad at Michigan. It's just some schools receive more notoriety than others.

D.J. Fluck
09-13-2003, 10:21 PM
Theres always Indiana University and Ball State University here in Indiana

Amanda Morrison
09-15-2003, 01:05 AM
Ball State is one of the best for journalism!

And depending on what you want to do with it, they have one of the best teaching schools in the area, or even a great telecommunications program.

Raven_Writer
09-15-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Amanda Morrison
Ball State is one of the best for journalism!

And depending on what you want to do with it, they have one of the best teaching schools in the area, or even a great telecommunications program.
Thanks to both D.J. and Amanda for mentioning Ball State.

I checked out their site. Seems decent (if anyone knows the requirements, or if they allow visitor-tour like things, please tell me).

I'm only saying decent because my school's internet is very messed up to say the least.

MattK
09-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by srjjs
I hear that Georgetown, being close to DC, has a lot of openings for students who want to work part-time for one of the major news companies and so get experience in that field.

My Uncle Steve Went to Georgetown, he know writes and edits for This News Publication (http://www.jamestown.org/)

He has spoken in front of the UN On numerous occasions and at different foreign relations conferences. He was the military annalist for Radio Free Europe. He is also in a couple of Videos CNN Made that where given to schools.