PDA

View Full Version : Question

Jack
10-17-2003, 06:59 PM
Hey all..

Well I really am working on creating the "back-bone" for the FSN system.. slow yes.. but steady :)

ok.. i have a question. I'm sure it's allready been discuessed, but I just want an answer because I need to know how to continue.

When you collect scouting data, could ALL of it fall into one of these two categories?

Team Data & Match Data

Team Data: Stuff that you'd like get by talking to the team, etc.. Robot type, weight, speed, etc.. (You'd end up with like one record for each team per competiton)

Match Data: Stuff collected every match, like score, alliance color, bins/balls stacked or in goal, etc.. (You'd end up with one record per team per match)

The Question: [b]Is there ANY data that you collect that you would submit to FSN that couldn't fit into one of the two categories??[b]

Thanks..

Jack

RogerR
10-17-2003, 07:07 PM
would human factors (i.e., experience of pit crew, operator, HP) fit into the 'team data' portion?

sanddrag
10-17-2003, 07:08 PM
There could be something for a team's past reputation and performance for the past X # of years. I'm not sure if that would really be helpful for scouting but it is somethign loosey related that I'm not sure where it would be put if at all.

Jack
10-17-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by RogerR
would human factors (i.e., experience of pit crew, operator, HP) fit into the 'team data' portion?

Well.. It would depend on when you collected it.

If you collected it every match (like rated how well the human player did x task) then it would be match data.

Otherwise.. if it was just a one shot thing.. i'd call it team data.

Make sence?

Really what I need to make sure is that anything that a person wants to collect would fit into one of the two types. Otherwise, i'd be a mess from a DB standpoint.

Thanks for checkin' tho.. If anyone else can think of questionable fields, say something so that I could find something that doesn't work now, rather than 200 hours of work later :)

Jack
10-17-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by sanddrag
There could be something for a team's past reputation and performance for the past X # of years. I'm not sure if that would really be helpful for scouting but it is somethign loosey related that I'm not sure where it would be put if at all.

I think that's data that people would definitely want to see.. but (correct me if i'm wrong) you really wouldn't collect it at competitions?

OR.. If you got the data from talking to teams, would just a regular text field work? OR.. would you want some sort-of defined field so that you could sort data by it?

Ken Patton
10-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Jack-

What about values that are calculated? Such as average number of balls scored.... or %age of the time the robot makes it to the top of the mountain?

Performance based values like ranking at previous regionals?

These are values that would depend on match data, but would not be collected every match.

hth,
Ken

golf_cart_john
10-27-2003, 09:04 PM
Would information about the team's robot itself count as team data? If not, that sounds like it wouldn't fit the categories.