PDA

View Full Version : Game Hints?

Noah
12-29-2003, 02:07 AM
Well, my team and another SoCal team were comparing notes recently, when we noticed that we each somehow had different hints for the 2004 game. Anybody care to tell us what is going on?

We heard (from FIRST, according to the team member that recieved the e-mail) that there are "Shrink-wrapped red and blue totes, waiting to be filled."

Another team told me that the hint that they were told by FIRST is that we should "Find the sliding coefficient of dry ice."

Is one of us losing our minds?

sanddrag
12-29-2003, 02:19 AM
Where is the official game hint? I mean, we're getting pretty close here. Last year they gave us the official hint before it got this close.

Wetzel
12-29-2003, 02:20 AM
Hocky pucks on some either a flat surface, or going down a luge-like tube.

Wetzel
~~~~~~~~~~
Me: Did you ever flashy-thing me?
Dave: No.
Me: I ain't playing, Dave. Did you ever flashy-thing me?
Dave: No.

Mike Soukup
12-29-2003, 02:22 AM
We heard (from FIRST, according to the team member that recieved the e-mail) that there are "Shrink-wrapped red and blue totes, waiting to be filled."
That isn't a game hint. It's FIRST telling us that they were getting ready to pack the two totes with each team's 'kit of parts'.

Noah
12-29-2003, 02:31 AM
That does make more sense, doesn't it. Thanks for that clarification. Anybody else hear about dry ice?

miketwalker
12-29-2003, 09:35 AM
That does make more sense, doesn't it. Thanks for that clarification. Anybody else hear about dry ice?
Heh, FIRST has a funny sense of humor, and so does the person who told you that probably. Because, dry ice... expensive. It degrades, weighs alot to ship... it wouldn't be practical for testing purposes during the 6 week building period. Someone's just pulling your leg probably.

Warren Boudreau
12-29-2003, 12:43 PM
On top of the expense, dry ice is frozen carbon dioxide. When it sublimates to a gas, the arena will fill with CO2 and put everyone to sleep.

Madison
12-29-2003, 01:05 PM
...maybe it's just a field covered in fog or something neat like that.

dez250
12-29-2003, 01:46 PM
also you need to be extremly cautious when you handle dry ice, because with just a few seconds of direct skin to dry ice contact can leave perminate cold burns and nerve damage. Along with the pressure it causes when contained in a close container, i have seen gernades made with dry ice and soda bottles...
~Mike

Rickertsen2
12-29-2003, 02:12 PM
also you need to be extremly cautious when you handle dry ice, because with just a few seconds of direct skin to dry ice contact can leave perminate cold burns and nerve damage. Along with the pressure it causes when contained in a close container, i have seen gernades made with dry ice and soda bottles...
~Mike

Fun times.

I really doubt that we will see anything with dry ice, and really doubt that anyone knows anything about what the game will be this coming year. Not to throw this thread off topic but what have the "game hints" from previous years been.

rees2001
12-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Come on? "Dry Ice" You are looking at it too literally. Besides where did you hear this hint?

Ryan Albright
12-29-2003, 04:24 PM
we can all guess at what it will be but i just cfant wait 12 more days untill my girlfriend gets to see me in between robotics breaks. 12 days till my grades go down. 12 days till my parents file a missing persons report cause i will never be home. 12 days till my cologne is axle grease ooo i cant wait

Noah
12-30-2003, 12:53 AM
what have the "game hints" from previous years been.
Only one I know is from last year:
"ax(2)+bx+c"
Which is, of course, the general quadratic equation. This was used to calculate the optimal stack height for a given number of boxes... sort of. So, really, it was mainly there to throw everyone onto the path of "OooH! Projectile motion!"

Jay5780
12-30-2003, 12:52 PM
As to the Dry Ice "clue" it could be Super-Glide. This stuff is just like ice, but it's not cold, not wet, but it is slick. They used it on Viva La Bam and Monster House to make indoor skating rinks.

But... it weights a ton and costs alot so I doubt this would be used. A Sheet (36 sq. feet) is approx. $575.00 and weighs approx. 145 lbs.

Check it out! (http://www.flaskate.com/superglide.htm)

Jay

Greg Needel
12-30-2003, 02:23 PM
most of the things i have heard are general like "it needs to be disassembled to get through a door" and everyother specific thing i have heard has pointed me to stairs

i think there will be a 4 sided object in the middle of the feild 2 sides will be a staircase and the other sides will be a steep incline ramp 45 deg or more.

and every year they shrink wrap the boxes before kickoff and the dry ice seems unlikely because of it;s danger and cost

Ryan Foley
12-30-2003, 11:12 PM
Like Jay said, dry ice would probably mean something about field surface. Low traction, like ice, but dry. Maybe there's more HDPE this year, hehe.

I still say that hovercraft goals or something would be awesome.

team222badbrad
12-31-2003, 12:35 AM
Didnt you all hear that they tore the carpet off all the 1999 Robot Pucks and replaced them with HDPE?

Yeah this one is gonna be TUFF!

danielkitchener
01-01-2004, 04:55 PM
what if the entire field is HDPE??? or at least a good part of it...it's like ice, but dry...thus, "dry ice". Conveyor belts would add a nice twist to the field as well. For practical reasons, I don't think a water hazard or real dry ice is going to happen. Perhaps smoke machines providing a fog over certain areas would be a nice obstacle. However, with most competitions being indoors, I don't see this as too likely. However, autonomous at the end seems almost a certainty, with how evil FIRST is. Just kidding, but I dread this as a programmer...

sanddrag
01-01-2004, 05:40 PM
On the Christmas House episode of Monster House ont he Discovery Channel, they had this really hard smooth plastic that they put on the floor to use as a skating rink. They said it is used in places where it isn't cold enough to keep a rink. They actually showed someone skating on it. But they did mention is was very expensive.

dez250
01-01-2004, 05:56 PM
On the Christmas House episode of Monster House ont he Discovery Channel, they had this really hard smooth plastic that they put on the floor to use as a skating rink. They said it is used in places where it isn't cold enough to keep a rink. They actually showed someone skating on it. But they did mention is was very expensive.

Correct this materal does replicate the COF of Ice with out needing to keep it around 32 degrees F. It is made to resist scratching, knicking and etching from blades on a skate so i expect that material would resist damage from our robots. But unlike the "plastic ice", the HDPE we used last year in the games did sustain damage from the robots. Thus thats one reasoning i think that if there was a plastic that represents ice used this year think it would be HDPE once again due to the low cost. Also I think that Teflon or nylon blocks could be used, due to their extremly low COF with metals. But the material that was used in "Viva La Bam" and "Monster House" i think could be used in the games but would be extremly surprised if it was used do to the extreme cost and weight that it has.
~Mike

P.S.~ Check out my thread labled Could the field be Ice? (http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23301) for more info...

David Kelly
01-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Correct this materal does replicate the COF of Ice with out needing to keep it around 32 degrees F. It is made to resist scratching, knicking and etching from blades on a skate so i expect that material would resist damage from our robots. But unlike the "plastic ice", the HDPE we used last year in the games did sustain damage from the robots. Thus thats one reasoning i think that if there was a plastic that represents ice used this year think it would be HDPE once again due to the low cost. Also I think that Teflon or nylon blocks could be used, due to their extremly low COF with metals. But the material that was used in "Viva La Bam" and "Monster House" i think could be used in the games but would be extremly surprised if it was used do to the extreme cost and weight that it has.
~Mike

P.S.~ Check out my thread labled "What could the fields be" that i am writing now.

HDPE is not cheap. Its quite expensive and I believe that last year we spent a few hundred dollars purchasing it. THat was why a lot of teams complained about the field last year and how expensive it was. Lots of other teams used alternative plastics because of the cost.

That fake ice may be "expensive" but HDPE is not cheap either.

dez250
01-01-2004, 06:11 PM
HDPE is not cheap. Its quite expensive and I believe that last year we spent a few hundred dollars purchasing it. THat was why a lot of teams complained about the field last year and how expensive it was. Lots of other teams used alternative plastics because of the cost.

That fake ice may be "expensive" but HDPE is not cheap either.

I know HDPE is not that cheap and neither is solid Nylon or Teflon, but from the link that was supplied earlier, it is cheaper then this "Replica" Ice.

tenfour
01-01-2004, 06:16 PM
Lets think logically....

The ice is out since its dangerous and hard to ship.

They won't cover the field with hdpe because of the cost and nature of setup.

As the the coef. of dynamic friction of dry ice, that could just refer to a surface with hard friction. I predict that we will have objects that will require complex manipulation (and will give a great number of points.)

I just hope that FIRST didn't listen to the people that said that robots this year were "too powerful."

dez250
01-01-2004, 06:21 PM
Lets think logically....

The ice is out since its dangerous and hard to ship.

They won't cover the field with hdpe because of the cost and nature of setup.

As the the coef. of dynamic friction of dry ice, that could just refer to a surface with hard friction. I predict that we will have objects that will require complex manipulation (and will give a great number of points.)

I just hope that FIRST didn't listen to the panzies that said that robots this year were "too powerful."

I would reccomend you to double think the words that you decide to use here.
~Mike

Andy Baker
01-01-2004, 11:40 PM
I heard this same "dry ice Rumor". It floated all the way back to Indiana.

Seems like smoke and mirrors to me... or could it be true?

Andy B.

Marygrace
01-02-2004, 01:52 PM
...maybe it's just a field covered in fog or something neat like that.
That would be so awesome! :cool:

JAH
01-02-2004, 04:42 PM
A field covered in fog seems like a long shot to me. A large part of the competition is watching other robots compete, along with your own. If the field was covered in fog, it would make it not only difficult for the drivers(which would be the reason for the fog, a bit more of a challenge) but the spectators wouldn't be able to see the action as easily. Fog would be cool...but, as it has happened at our school, if you put out too much fog(they were doing it for play practice), you can set off the fire alarms. That all would be neat though.

SaxMan701
01-02-2004, 09:26 PM
Smoke and mirrors, Andy? Going back to the fog covered field, and remembering that it is FIRST we're talking about, you never know about smoke and mirrors, literally.

Chris Fultz
01-03-2004, 01:08 PM
Smoke and morrors and the refs and the audience get special night vision goggles so they can see what is going on -

maxgebhardt
01-03-2004, 06:44 PM
Smoke and morrors and the refs and the audience get special night vision goggles so they can see what is going on -
That would rock, I want night vision goggles!