PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Joysticks?

LBK Rules
01-18-2004, 06:50 PM
I was wondering how we can mount the joysticks in a semi-permanent manner?

The new ones have section cups, but they are to temporary.

Cory
01-18-2004, 06:53 PM
There is tape available that has a foam core and adhesive on both sides. We used this tape last year and it worked fairly well.

Cory

LBK Rules
01-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Are we allowed to use tape on our OI controls even though we are only supposed to use tape for electrical insulation.

Cory
01-18-2004, 06:57 PM
The rules only apply to the robot, your Operator's board can be however you like it. Use common sense and dont put anything dangerous on it though :rolleyes:

Cory

CyberWolf_22
01-18-2004, 07:08 PM
I think we are able to modify the joysticks how you want because the rule about tampering with the joysticks is not in the rule book this year. Unless I missed something but I don't think I did.

Ryan Foley
01-18-2004, 07:25 PM
we use velcro on ours. It works well.

KevinB
01-18-2004, 08:42 PM
We built a metal bracket that fits into the little ridge at the top of the joystick.

Ashley Weed
01-18-2004, 09:08 PM
How about a real semi-permanent, permanent, or temporary solution: tie wraps. Placed on the edges of the joystick, I've seen them used for a couple of hours, up to a whole season.

TGreen
01-18-2004, 09:25 PM
As Ryan said "velcro" thats the best thing I can think of it holds up so well

Jedi Padawan
01-18-2004, 09:35 PM
As Ryan said "velcro" thats the best thing I can think of it holds up so well

We used Lego's and velcro last year... year before that we used screws it's really up to whoever wants to take the time to mount it. They usually don't have a problem with it as long as it can be reversed. :cool:

mtaman02
01-18-2004, 11:28 PM
keep in mind you don't need a wide area for the operator controlls. You just need enough space for 2 people. Make something that will fold up and is lite that won't harm the operator system. and as others previously stated velcro is the way to go. ;)

Sachiel7
01-19-2004, 09:57 AM
Well, if you don't want it permanent, then I would have to say (larger) velcro would be the way to go. If you do want it permanent, drill out a few holes in-between the screws holding the base of the stick to the top. On whatever you're mounting it to, drill out holes for the screws holding the base on, and the holes you just made. Unscrew the base and bolt it onto your plate through the newer holes, then screw the base back onto the top through the remaining holes in your plate. We've used it for 3 years, no prob.

Aignam
01-19-2004, 10:02 AM
I would say that tie wraps (zip ties) are your best bet for mounting a joystick in a semi-permanent manner. Velcro and other adhesives tend to get sticky.